best method for germinating

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by patfatnu, Feb 2, 2009.

1. hi guys i have read a few differnt ways to germinate....is the paper towel method the best or is it neeeded....can u jsut do the seed in a cup of water for 24 hrs and once it sinks plant it??? kinda not sure what to do thanks in advance!

2. There is no such 'best' method. Some prefer other ways than others.

Keeping it simple is the easiest way:

Soak them in water for 24 hours, then plant them in to the medium you intend to grow in.

That's all you gotta do. Almost like nature does.

3. The biggest problem beginning gardener have is planting the seed too deep.

I pre-moisten seed starting mix (fine peatmoss) and put the seed only 1/8" deep. Sprinkle more mix on top to cover and keep warm and moist. I have never planted a germinated seedling before.

4. I usually just put a seed in a small plastic cup with the soil i plan on planting them in. Poke a hole in the bottom so it doesn't rot and then just pop it out when it's ready for the bigger pot and its nutrients.

I've heard you can use the moist paper towel technique but those usually dry out too quickly on me.

5. This worked for me as well except i put the tubberware container on a towel and then on a jiffy heat pad all sprouted in 24-30 hrs.:)

but the next set of seeds are going straight in the soil and then under my heated dome.

the key is warm& moist

Good luck :smoking:

6. That´s what I do, but in a 5 litre ex-mineral water bottle - after they show sex the females get transplanted on.

Agreed, paper towels really have nothing going for them.

7. The paper towel method is not my favorite method, reason being it promotes weak stems and poor root developement. I find the best way, indoors or out, to soak the seeds in 7.0 water w/ a drop or 2 of hydrogen peroxide for at least 12 hours, 24 is even better. When I begin my seed soak, I water the pots I plan to place them in so they are evenly moist before I plant the seeds. I use a very light airy soil mix to promote good root developement and provide good drainage.

My seeds are 100% success everytime. Paper towels method is bunk IMHO. Remember, plant the seed about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in the soil. I usually lay the seed on the top of the wet soil then add a 1/4 - 1/2 layer of soil over them and give them a good mist, in 2-3 days I have my sprouts.

less

8. look into those peet pellet things. they have eveything the seeds want & the stems harden real nice. if they're not around you can use a peet moss-based seed starter mix. last time i poked holes in the bottom of foam coffee cups, filled them with mix, & planted the beans about 1/4" into the soil. worked just as well.

9. Some strains won't like the PH shock caused by those "peat pellet things" more commonly called "Jiffy's".

See my last years grow...20% success rate. :mad:

So do it like lessismore described. [​IMG]

10. shitty. never had that happen before but i take your word for it. can you explain the science behind this for us amateurs? many publications would have you believe that jiffys are the cat's pajamas...

11. Well my first attempt involved 32 beans. I dropped them in cups with distilled water. After 16 hours all but two had sunk to the bottom of the cups. I put 20 of them in perlite/vermiculite mix filled cups, and 12 in rock wool cubes. 48 hours later they were all standing, even the floaters.

12. No science, just PH values (some) strains can't handle, that's all.

You'll be OK with most though but if you are using beans that cost you (a lot?) of money don't take chances and do what nature does - keeping it simple!

13. cool. i haven't been able to find them in stores for about 3 years now...apparently they're a very seasonal item around here. the current girl i have going now was started the natural way. i'll be chopping her down soon :)

14. I have always found the Jiffy pods worked well w/ clones, but you have to soak them for a day or so w/ PH blanaced water and a drop or 2 of peroxide. As for seeds, I have used the same method indoors and out and it has always worked well for me.

I believe once you find a technique that works well for you, stick to it. I have lost seedlings/plants, damaged them severely, and had porr yields and quality trying new things and reading thinking "yeah, thats the ticket right there". I have kept w/ the same routine now for the last 6-7 yrs and find my methods work well.

less

15. thank you for that....next go around will be attempting clones.