Best ligt to start seedlings?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by blitzedonesic, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I currently have a 400w hps and mh bulb but on my previous grow this proved way to powerful and ended up killing my seeds. What are some good bulbs I can pickup at lowes to start these babys and then switch over to the mh.

2. What I've been seeing is basically fluorescent lighting. You can get this fairly cheap. Find the appropriate amount for your grow size and what not.

3. can start them under some floro tubes/CFL's...I personally use a T5 set up, but any of them will work until they can handle the bigger lights.

4. Floro's are the way to go. HID lighting certainly can fry them like you found out. When you switch from floro's to HID lighting you might want to "harden them off" by slowly introducing the HID lighting to them but I never do that and my plants are fine. But floro's all the way. If you have to use HID lighting try to give the seedlings indirect HID lighting at first. I've had a few bleached looking seedlings by blasting them with HID's.

5. i use 4 sylvania daylight spectrum floresents 40w each bought at home depot for 6-8$ a bulb i have these on chains inside a 4x3x4 box i built paited flat white with a white poly door it works perfect and i can do a few weeks of veg in it also.

6. I just found kamels cfl guide stickied at the top of the forum and it explains basically everything I needed to know.. reading owns me :smoke:

Have a good thanksgiving guys!