Best lights for a 2 plant grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NorthernAutos, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I have 2 autoflowering northern light plants that are 1 week old. They are currently under a 100w CFL about 4-5" away and look healthy for my first attempt but I want to upgrade the lighting.

What would the best set up for a cheap veg/flower light be? I don't want to spend 200$ on LED's or that fancy stuff right now cause I'm not expecting a huge yield.

CFL's are an option if you think 5100k for veg and then something around 2500k for flowering will work?

Again not expecting much of a yield and maybe under 60$ worth of lights.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. If youre only wanting to spend 60 bucks, I would say your only options are more cfls.

3. #3 VeritableHypocrisy, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    LED Lights aren't too expensive anymore. 
    http://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow-light-60-3w.html

Otherwise CFLs.

4. Spend 100 and get a little 400watt mh/hps set up on eBay. Pretty sure they are like 100$

5. I could fork out a little more if there are lights which would a lot better for not a ridiculous amount :p

if you guys recommend a light could you also tell me how many you prefer for two plants you want around 18" and yield even a quarter each! Thanks in advance, I've learned so much on this site already

6. #6 Grade A, Nov 20, 2014
  7. http://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow-light-60-3w.html once again. It's only $71 and eliminates the need of major cooling for the heat.

8. A quarter ounce each? Youll get that no problem. I don't know the specifics of your grow, but you've really got to fuck something up to only get 7gs a plant.

9. That looks perfect and definitely worth the extra 40 if it'll work better than a couple CFL's dangling around lol

If I bought the MH+HPS light combo from the link you sent me would they be able to cover both the veg and flowering stage?

10. Hey! Thanks that looks like it could also work but would that LED be able to sustain 2 small plants through veg and flowering? I'm looking for something simple because my set up is slacking right now lol

11. That would definitely handle 2 small plants. If you keep them in 3 gallon or less of soil each and train them, you can get some decent yields under that light.

12. Haha good to know! My setup is like a 1x1x2 box with a 100w CFL AND reflective walls while my plants are only a week old but I have room to upgrade and get them a nicer home once I get the proper materials

13. Yeah it will be fine. Its better to have different specturms for veg and flower, but not mandatory. Autos don't even have much of a veg phase anyways.

14. Awesome I'll look into that some more then! Does it have a switch or something that puts different lights on ? Cause I'm new but to my knowledge veg & flowering need different spectrums

15. Sounds good, and if I only have one light on a time which would you recommend to have on for each phase?

16. If I hook up both the HPS and MH, then wait until it's ready to flower and change the light cycle to 12/12 will that be enough to flower? I have it 24/0 right now

17. LEDs can cover pretty much all the spectrums you need. 

[​IMG]
    That light is supposed to cover 430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, IR, and white spectrums. It should cover all spectrums you'll need.

18. #18 Grade A, Nov 20, 2014
    Yes it comes with both mh and hps bulbs. The mh is for veg hps is for flower and it comes with light hangers a timer your hood and a dimmable ballast. So you can dim the ballast down to 200 watts 300 watts or run the full 400

19.  You don't change the cycle with autos. They flower with time, not photoperiod. Ive always went 18/6 with autos.

20. Perfect, thanks you two! I'll look into those both and keep you updated. I'll most likely post in the "My first grow" thread if you guys want to follow along on there! off to sleep now though haha