Best lighting?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by begginer, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I want to get some new lights. I dont know what would be better for 3 or 4 plants. CFL's or HPS for veg. and MH for flow? Its going over a DWC system. What lights do you think would be best and how much watt's do i need?

2. 3-4 plants, go with a 400 mh veg with a 400 hps to flower think HTGsupply has them for 205.00 delivered.

3. Yeah that alittle expensive. I dont have thak kind of money. But i want to up grade from cfl's. And im no expert but i thought MH was for flowering and HPS was for veg.? Do you have any options for me. I just need the bulbs, not the whole setup.

4. #4 bdole420, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
    Any HID is going to be expensive because of the 'whole setup'... you have to have a ballast to supply the right about of wattage coming from your wall socket and a reflector with the socket that's connected to the ballast... That's the price you pay to have one bulb run 400, 600 or 1000 watts... The cheaper way is to run the CFLs, but you can set up multiple CFL bulbs in better places to get light to the sides and undergrowth and they're the best of the non-HIDs as far as heat as well.

The HPS or MH bulbs themselves (if you already have a ballast and reflector to use them) are only $100 or so.

HID (more expensive, best light) or CFL (less expensive, 2nd best light)

And MH is for veg, HPS is for flower.

5. You can find a 400w around on craigs list or e bay for under 75 bucks. You can also get conversion bulbs, but i would just recommend veg and flower under that hps. skip MH if your low on budget and want more yield.

DWC, are you in 5 gallon plus or minus buckets? If your going larger plants you want more watts to penetrate that canopy. Unless your scrogging and just doing tops...?

6. i think its 4 gal, container. How many Cfl's would i need for a project like this and how many watt.