Best light for a one plant grow?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by txbud997, Aug 26, 2017.

1. It's more expensive. 4 boards and 2 drivers is under $200. You can get the 320 if you want. Great light. I own quite a few HLG products. IMO the best grow lights you can buy.
    IMG_0773.JPG

This is what a guy has been able to grow with a single 60 watt board and one plant in another thread. He hasn't harvested yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. The qb304 boards run much hotter then the qb120's. I own both. The qb120's need no heatsink. If you bought those ndr wall mount drivers they run much cooler then the HLG series drivers my other lights use.

3. the 120's are not on sale

4. They'll be back soon. They sell out all the time. Worth the wait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I just checked and you're right. An option for you might be here:

Horticulture Lighting Group 65 Watt Quantum Board LED Lamp

Little more expensive than just the board and a driver for it, but pre-fabbed and simple to set up.

Only in 4K, which I'm told will work for both veg and flower.

The DC input into the board I am told is kind of brittle, meaning it can break off - but I believe you can solder around that if that happens.

Note: I do not have the 120's - couple on order and glad I got them when I did given how they are selling.

Also, When I ordered mine they were down to five or six and the next day they were back up to a couple dozen - meaning check the site every now and then and they may well restock it - I imagine they would since it's apparently a winner and people are buying them.

Shoutout to Tbone for clueing me in - the info I am passing on here he passed to me several days ago.

6. #26 Foyle, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Hey Tbone - in the shots above of what the guy was able to grow with a single 120, can you tell how far the LED is set above the top of the colas and the dirt? To me it looks like 6-8 inches above the tops and 3' above the dirt, but hard to tell because it's a wide lens. Just curious because you can see how the light penetrates.

7. so which single HLG light would be best with a 2x4 tent for flowering and veg? at max 3 plants.

once again there seems to be 16 ways to skin that cat

8. I'm not sure. His user name is Lukester. He should be right about harvesting now. Decided to go an extra week or two because of all those white pistils. It looks about 12" to me. You can get them pretty close to mature plants that are used to them but it takes some time. Seedings don't appreciate the power and like 2ft or more.

9. The best setup for a 2x4 is a single qb260 with 2 x qb304 boards or a 4 board qb120 setup can also cover 2x4.

10. The second best solution is two 135 watt kits in 3000k.

this was suggested to me by growers lights.

11. The qb260 xl is great because it has 50% more heatsink then the qb260 standard and if there is one drawback of the qb260 it is that it runs pretty darn warm at max output.

The 320xl is too much power for a 2x4. It's 3 288 boards, not needed.

Two 135 kits is cool but it's just them trying to upsell you. I bet they never told you how good 4 qb120 boards could be for the $200 range? You can outfit the whole tent with qb120's for the price of a single 135 kit. That's a 150 watt max kit or a 250 watt max kit with way more spread for the same price. Oh, and they use the exact same leds.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the other kits. I bloom with 2 x qb260's in a 4x4. The qb120's are by far the cheapest way to go though and you're not giving up performance for the cheaper price. You also get a cooler running fixture with no heatsinks.

12. Much appreciated advice there. Clear and direct.
    I'd be all about the 120's, just no one has them in stock right now. So looks like I'll have to go with the 260xl here shortly

13. Excluding price the qb260xl with 2 qb304 boards is probably the best fixture for your space. I like my 3500k.

14. I am using a simple plant light that is low in cost but seems to be extremely efficient.
    Its only 60Wats so does not consume alot of electricity however, the output in luminecence is very high and contains the full spectrum. Easy to setup aswell.

You can buy it here:

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Not trying to be a jerk, but you obviously aren't experienced in growing marijuana indoors. That lamp only pulls 5-6w per bulb. And to actually offer that up as an option to someone as a lamp for growing weed, is downright wrong. I may use something like that to keep a seedling alive, but other than that, it wouldn't produce quality bud and would be lucky to produce a joints worth of weed. The o.p. is looking for the best light. I do appreciate the fact that you are willing to help someone by offering advice. But, please do not recommend something that will not work for the application.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I almost posted that but I didn't think anyone wanted to listen at this point. Hard to beat a qb120 or qb132 board for a small single plant light. I've seen them yield 4oz's with just a single 60-75 watt board. It's $55-98 for one depending on if you can source a single board anymore. I only see 4 packs lately. The HLG 65 is still around. For $98 I would certainly rather have one of those then any of the cheapo 300w models out there. The yield is similar but the HLG board is so much better to work under and with a meanwell driver/samsung leds it should be way more reliable then the knock offs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Where I'm from weed is worth some serious cash. 4oz's can go for $1,200 to $1,500 bucks. It makes no sense to me to try to save $30-40 on a grow light that will grow you that much product every crop. Get the best one you can afford. You'll never be sorry. You will be sorry if you try to save money though and will likely be "upgrading" your crappy purchase in a few grows after you see how disappointing it is.

Higher quality lights for the most part grow a higher quality product that is worth more in the end.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. The 4 board qb120s are available from amazon in 4000k for $125, that is what I decided to go with in my veg room, still haven't decided on a driver or if I am going with 1 per board.

• Like Like x 1