Best light coverage/distance for 1000w hps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sofreshsoclean710, Feb 11, 2017.

1. So I have a 5x5 tent I use about 3.5x4 because of my AC and Dehuey. I have about 7 plants all trained and topped so there very bushy (All different strains) under there now. Biggest plant is 18" smallest is 13". I put the smaller ones in the middle on the bigger ones on the sides. My light is about 16" away from the glass to the canaopy of the small ones in the middle. My hood is aircooled and room has a lot of ventilation. I feel like I could bring my light down another 4-6 inches without it burning my tops but I feel like if I do that I'll lose light coverage to plants on the sides. But at the same time the distance it's at right now I feel like the most outer edges of the canapy aren't getting too much light. Would you guys recommend me raising the lights a few inches to it has a bigger footprint and covers everything or leaving it as it is? I feel like if I lower the light the 2 plants in the middle would receive it all the light. The way I test the foot print is putting my hand on top of the canopy and moving it away from the center andseeing the brightness start dimming off myhand. Any help and input would be appreciated!

Here is a video and pic

iOS Video (video of my tent) do you guys think I could've put on more plant in the back corner?

(pic from ceiling)

2. 1000w = 2 feet minimum a fan cant push radiant heat. 1000w light is good for a 4x4 area

3. 1000 watt hps can do 5x5 with a larger unvented umbrella or other style reflector but you need headroom and good cooling. Vented hoods are great for small space and temp management but they seriously limit the light spread and optimal space the light can fill. Vented hoods can be ran closer to the plants though because of reduced heat radiation coming off the light.

Get familiar with scrog techniques. Do less plants in a slightly smaller space trained more next round. 7 plants is a lot to ask for a single light especially when it's a single hot spot like that one and not a panel or cob array. Most people do about 4 each 1000 watt. You'll have less plants but they'll be bigger getting more optimal light.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Tbone Shuffle, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    I would consider adding a single or double t5 side light in there on each side of your 1000 watter.

It's $31 for a 4' single bulb fixture. One on each side would be 80 additional watts so not that much cost. If you wanted to get crazy you could add a double 4' t5 to each side. Get a mix of agromax bloom bulbs and UV bulbs. When you're about 2 weeks to chop turn on the UV bulbs. They increase potency.
    HTG Supply - GrowBright 4 Foot 1 Lamp High Output T5

I've seen double bulb 4' t5 shop light fixtures at walmart for $12. You can just buy bulbs for about $4 each. If you want to be super cheap.

My buddy did this exact thing to add uv supplementation to the end of his cycle. He hung t5 fixtures on each side of his HPS hood with homemade metal brackets.