Best LED for 4x4

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ml386, Mar 1, 2020.

1. I’m a first time grower. I plan to use a 4x4 tent and am interested in scrog. My aim is 2 to 4 plants at a time. I would like to grow both indica dominant and sativa dominant strains. DWC is the method I’m leaning toward... perhaps bubbleponics. I’m still in the early research stages of method.

What lights would you recommend? I thought that might be a good place to start. I’d prefer easiest and least expensive while still very effective. I’ve read a lot of comments about building your own lights. I have an electrician who would do it, so that’s an option I’d consider since it seems to be most affordable. Also, what about any supplemental lights?

Links to a full list of what to buy would be very much appreciated. I have purchased books and am heavily researching, but all of this is still like another language currently.

2. HLG ,

Horticulture Lighting Group Premium LED Grow Lights for ...
    horticulturelightinggroup.com

Premiere high end indoor gardening LED grow lights for hobbyists & professionals looking to remove HPS & lower electricity costs by 60% while increasing ...
    Flowering Footprint‎: ‎4.5' x 4.5' or 4' x 5' at 24'
    System PPF Efficacy‎: ‎2.6 μmol/joule
    Veg Footprint‎: ‎6' x 6' at 36”
    System Efficiency‎: ‎168 Lm/W
    You've visited this page 3 times. Last visit: 10/9/19
    QB Kits
    All HLG QB Kits feature full-spectrum, high efficiency white ...
    HLG 550 V2 LED Grow Light ...
    Our HLG550 V2 Commercial Indoor Horticulture LED grow ...
    All Products
    Check out all HLG Products! Quantum Boards® Grow ...
    Lamps
    HLG 100 v2 - HLG 65 - HLG 300 V2 Rspec - HLG 40 - ...
    Quantum Boards
    QB Kits - QB288 V2 Quantum Board - QB96 Elite V2 Engine
    + HLG 550 V2 Rspec Ideal for ...
    Top O' line HLG 550 V2 R-Spec, a replacement to a SE 1000watt ...
    More results from horticulturelightinggroup.com »
    Web results

3. 480 true watts and an Rspec 3500 K light would be good from seed to harvest.

If you want to pay more for an excellent name brand, then HLG is a good choice.
    But the HLG55 v2 is $849 for 480 watts ($1.77 per watt), and excellent LEDs can be had for far less, less than $1 per watt.

There are cheap chinese knockoffs like this ($330 including shipping $0.69 per watt) that many people swear by
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...alleryofferlist.2017203.17.182029d4VvCrde&s=p

MarsHydro has some good values, and 2 lights might work better than one.
    Two of these for $500 total would work, or something else from Mars
    TSL 2000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Lamp for 2'x4', Sunlike Spectrum with IR, Replace 400~600w HPS - Mars Hydro for sale,buy TSL 2000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Lamp for 2'x4', Sunlike Spectrum with IR, Replace 400~600w HPS - Mars Hydro - Mars Hydro

Most lights have 50,000 hour warranties, which is 5.7 years, and new LED technology is coming out frequently.
    I'd advise considering the grow light as an expendable item, and go for cheap.

4. This was super helpful. Thank you. As for alibaba, is that product all I would need to order? Or does it need additional parts? They give the option to purchase 3500 rather than 3000. Would you recommend going with the 3500? This is looking like the way I may want to go. Thanks very much for your help.

5. Higher Kelvin values are supposedly better for veg, and lower Kelvin values better for flower.
    3500 K is considered to be an excellent spectrum for veg and flower.
    I use 3500 K LEDs, and that's what I'd recommend.

Most of us hydro growers love it.
    Some hydro setups can be very, very easy.
    General Hydroponics WaterFarm8 is an excellent system (but expensive) that can be left alone for several days. I believe it can have fewer than 8.

I'm not a fan of recirculating dwc, because I think constant-level gravity feed from a large external reservoir is best, especially when coupled with top feed to keep reservoirs better mixed. Also, no heat-adding water pump is necessary.

If I were starting over, and wanted to grow 4 autos in a 4 x 4 ft tent, I'd use 4 of the shortest ~5 Gal grow-totes I could find.
    Buckets are usually too tall, and sometimes plants can get out of hand, so that every inch of height matters. Then I'd fit each tote with a gravity-feed line hooked up to an external reservoir with float valve. And then add an air pump driven top feed, something like GH FarmKit, and air stones. GH's Waterfarm is similar to this, but without air stones. There might be other ready made systems available.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'd try a Raymatix HAMR+2. Comparable to HLG R spec board. Same watts. Any of the HLG stuff though is high quality if you want to build it yourself and save a few bucks.