Best LED For 4x4?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xavimackdaddy, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Would I be better off with 4 X 135w or 2 X 260w in a 4x4 tent? Can I use them solely as my light source from seed to harvest?

Thanks

2. Hey man

Would I be better off with 4 X 135w or 2 X 260w in a 4x4 tent? Can I use them solely as my light source from seed to harvest?
    Thanks

3. #23 WeedSexWeightsShakes, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    I’d probably go with the 260w kits just for simplicity but you can’t go wrong either way
    3500k would be best from seed to harvest I believe.
    3k may even be fine.
    If you are handy with DIY you could get some of the 120 or new 132 boards and make your own frame. The benefit to those boards is they don’t need heat sinks apparently.
    If you’re like me and not handy go with the kits lol

4. Personally, I like more lights, so I split them up..easier to put them where I need them.
    I am still playing around but here you see 1x QB132 (right rear)..
    I start seeds for the 1st 2 weeks under plain ole CFLs..these lights are way too bright unless dimmed down a ton and will fry a seedling FAST..
    I would use 4x QB132s in a 3x3x6 but in a 4x4, I think 4 panels in the corners and something else in the center..
    I am NO expert and @Tbone Shuffle is the QB expert on this forum. With his help, I chose the right driver(s) and the build was like 15 minutes 9I had already assembled the QB288, so there were no surprises. I did find the little connectors on the boards troublesome for me (arthritis) so I just soldered 2 short leads connected to a 2 position Wago connector and all is perfect for my hooking and unhooking the boards..
    I chose the GDP since I have grown 2 other generation clones..one under a Meizhi 450 (eats Mars for dinner) and the other Under the Mini (The earlier predecessor of the QBs I think)
    Note: the Nextlight and UFO80 are high end lights at over $400 each and the QBs are brighter.!
    GET THOSE QBs before they are gone (I use the 2700k for flower and the 3500k I have not seen in stock yet, but I am getting 4 for veg when I find them.
    1-24-18.JPG
    1-24-18.JPG

• Like Like x 1

5. Thanks man. Will 3k be ok? There is the option of 3k or 4K..
    Also, what are the heat sinks? Don't Mars have heat sinks?
    Will they rise the temp of the tent much? Sorry if silly questions...

Thanks!

6. #26 Buzzer777, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Wait! The QB312s DO NOT Need heatsinks, therein lies a $$ savings. and I only see them on Amazon in 2700k at present..plus you need driver(s). I bought Meanwell 350w 36v driver(s) for about $40 each at Arrow electronics inc next day fgt. Other than that..a few feet of solid core 18 gauge wire and some fishing leaders to hang em..and you're ogg (You need to make a power cord for the driver (power supply), so I cut the end off a spare PC power cord..Perfect..;)

If you go for 2x the QB288 (3000k I would suggest for all purpose))..Yes they do need the heatsink (get the kit..it's cheaper)
    ....These are about the most efficient lights currently on the market..YES..The Mars and Meizhi both use heatsinks..Meizhis are huge..heat kills electronics.

Can't help myself..Mars track record for reliability (older models) SUCK..I own 3 Meizhis and they rock for cheap lights (I use them in Veg, but they are super for flower as well).

• Like Like x 2
  7. I only use 2 of the drivers for flexibility..If one dies..the other will run all 4 QB132s and if I wish, I can have any other config I need.

8. I don't have any experience with QBs, other than following a few people's grows here. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with their finished product but there could have been some other issues. I imagine the smarter money is on the QBs but if I were you I'd try to find some all QB grows and see what you think.

People get so excited whenever something new comes out. It can be hard to separate the enthusiasm from the actual value or effectiveness of a new product.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I would tend to agree, but I have the Meizhis and Nextlight Mini and The Unit Farms UFO to compare with..I only use the QBs for flower (as well as the Nextlight and UFO80), But my light meter (NOT PPD ) simply doesn't lie..It goes off the charts Measuring the QBs at full power..To take the pictures..I had to use a much smaller fstop on the camera..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Those flowers under the Nextlight look great. I'm sure the QBs are great, as long as you have enough over your plant. I don't go by how bright a light seems to me, I have a flashlight that blinds me but I wouldn't grow under it. I just see the QBs getting a bit oversold, folks claiming they're the next jesus and stuff and I haven't seen amazing results or when I see nice results they're always a combination of other lights and QBs, like your tent.

No offense, but it looks like the flowers under your QBs are the worst in the tent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just curious why you weren’t impressed.
    I assume it was their yields?

12. This is my current grow.
    Taken Monday day 43 since flip

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Essentially, I mean I have to take it with a grain of salt because I'm only looking at whatever pictures they post but yes...the size of the buds. I'm not a grams/watt guy so I'm just going off of what I see through the grow and whatever final pics. My personal opinion has been the folks I followed weren't putting enough boards over their plants. And I should mention that these folks are using the cheaper QB120s.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Here are 3 bigger ladies from last grow.
    First grow under my qbs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. See those look great. You're also using like the 304s, right? I think they can work great (like most lights) as long as you have enough diods over the plants.

16. Yes 3x304 260w kits in my 5x5
    A 304 320w kit in my 4x2.5
    You make a good point. Maybe the smaller qbs don’t do as well as the 288 and 304.

17. So you're working with about a $1,000 worth of lights in your 5x5 tent. Which a person could spend a grande on many different kinds of lights that would kick ass, not to take away from the QBs. The OP is trying to work with $200-$500 for his 4x4 tent. I just don't think that budget is QB territory.

18. 16sqft vs 25sqft
    He doesn’t need as many lights as me lol
    He needs $650 for a 4x4
    Which I think if you don’t have that much just buy one until you can buy another.
    It is worth it to have some of the best lights imo

19. True, could be worth it to him.

20. None taken..The GDP under the QB is the youngest in the tent..Cheese are about 6 weeks in..Royal Gorilla is about 7 weeks in and GDP is only 4 weeks in..GDP is 3rd gen and is notoriously slow to finish..Both parent and grand parent took well over 70 days...I put the QB over the GDP yesterday, so time will tell..I did finish the last 4 weeks in flower on a Gorilla Bomb using 1st a Meizhi 450 (195 watts) and finishing with the QBs..Vegged for 7-8 weeks..got 4.5 ounces of dried bud..I am happy with that and the potency is top notch too.
    Before the chop.
    1-17-18 Gorilla Bomb Week 9.JPG
    Maybe..
    4x QB132 in the corners ($133) + 1x Meanwell 360watt 36volt driver..$40 + ass't bs $20 = $193
    Then a 3000k QB288 3000k in the middle for $189 (kit)..soooo total =$382 for 275 watts true..Even room to add something else if desired;) I think the idea of "watts" is a different discussion with these boards..just like it was when LEDs were introduced against HPS..JMHO

• Like Like x 2