Best laptop on the market?

Discussion in 'General' started by emagdnim13, Aug 30, 2006.

1. I'm looking to spend around 1200, but the amount could rise if i find a really nice laptop. laptop. i have a discount on dell through my girlfriend's dad and a discount on apple through school, so it's down to either of those.

i want to edit video, and pictures, and have recording abilities too.

i'm thinking apple since i will want to be able to edit and record.

what do you guys think?

2. The only good places i know to get electronics are canadian based, sorry dude.

Best of luck.

3. goto www.newegg.com and look around, I'd go with Intel dual core, make sure it has over 512mb of RAM. Youll be straight, and also Acer, Dell, Toshiba, ect. all are good.

4. RM, why are you inactive as of 8/20? did i miss something?1

5. apple and dell? lol limited to like the 2 worst companies, good luck dude

just an FYI, alienwares 15.4inch LCD labtops start at $999(no I am not reccomending alienware)

6. i thought apple was good for editing and recording?

7. IMO apples limits alot of advanced features so people who dont know there ass from there hand wont fuck it up, but yes I guess they might be(never used one for it)

An alienware labtop configured with 1.83ghz core duo and 512mb of ram 60gb hard drive and a radeon X1400 is $1099, that looked like a good deal compared to what I was seeing on newegg actually

8. you can configure one with onboard graphics, 2ghz core duo 1gb of ram and a 80gb harddrive for $1189

Thats much better then what i saw going on at newegg, im suprised with alienware, youre going to get a 14inch screen though

9. the fact that apple is regarded as superior to dell or any other windows based notebook is getting to become a myth.

I recently purchased a Dell over an Apple, simply picking the lesser of the two evils. I sincerely recomend Dell over Apple, though if you want to act pompous get the Apple.

10. Hit up the AlienWare. That's my next purchase, probably for Christmas. I'm planning on spending $2500-$3000 though so, maybe different.

11. There's no reason not to get an apple now since you can boot up in either mac osx or windows (you have to buy windows). So you can have the reliable mac and then when you need to use a windows program you still can. I suggest reading the reviews on the new macbooks.

12. OMFG you guys are really advising someone to buy a Dell, I'm a qualified tech and being honest the ONLY reason I would tell someone to buy a Dell is because theyre cheap.

Alienware are pretty good but expensive, I'd say have a look at Asus' laptops they weigh in pretty cheap and are damn good systems

13. Dude those alienware labtops were cheaper and better looking then everything else i looked at

Not to mention, they are definately eye catchers, but i looked at there desktops......they are ripping people off more then ever with there desktops but now im considering saving up for one of there labtops

14. i do not care either way which cpu is the best but I do like the new apple notebooks, they look like they r nice and they r pretty cheap I think they start at 999 or something, good luck bro. JOE>

15. DONT GET A DELL. they suck trust me, it wont last you. I got a the new macbook pro, my first apple and let me say it is def. the best compute ive used. once you are used to it everything, im somewhat of n amateur phtographer so ive edited my pics using photoshop and it is a lot quicker than my old pc, and mostly anyother pc ive used. get the apple you wont be dissapointed and like someone else said you can get windows working on the macs.

16. Photoshop works fast on my AMD 64 3000+ so that point is moot, just make sure you got 1gb-2gb of ram and the PC should handle editing fine

17. Dells definatly DO NOT suck...i dont know what computer you guys bashing dell are using but
    I have a Dell XPS and i can run 2 world of warcrafts, CS, and fraps at the same time with minimal decrease in framerate

Ive also had it for about 2 years and i have not yet needed to call for support or had to open it up for anything

18. lmfao you got RIPPED OFF on that XPS

I have a pc thats almost 2years old that I built for $1500 and the XPS still cannot match its gaming performance today(when configured with the same budget)

19. Okay, being mainly a Mac user I'm gunna strap my full body armour on before I start this post - lol

I have a dual 2.5gig G5, RAM'd to the max (4gig) with a mahusive cinemascreen that I use for work and a few middle ferdiddle PC's for buggering about on.

The first difference is with image quality. You just cant beat Mac screens for it. Millions of graphic designers can't be wrong! You look at a Dell screen in comparison and we're talking Magoo-vision - lol. An iBook screen will be miles better than any of your run of the mill laptop screens.

Whatever you choose, even if the processor is pretty meaty bear in mind you're going to need to spend a fair bit on RAM to be able to render video at reasonable speed. Small stuff isn't an issue, but just a few minutes of "proper" video takes a lot of doing.

The iMovie software isn't great - the resolution is lacking and there's little facilty for tweaking it. If you're seriously going to do the editing I'd get hold of Premier 6.5 or Final Cut Pro.

Yep Apple have just switched to Intel - but here's the catch - the majority of the hooky software out there is tailored to the old chips, it simply will not work on the intels - even the legit stuff from the older systems doesn't play ball (I know this first hand as my bro has just bought a new iMac - he was gutted!). So if you've not paid the bucks for new software, you'll be waiting a while for the gear!

My G5 wont dual-boot but I have a virtual pc running on it - this means I can use XP at the same time alongside OSX and drag things from window to window, cross OS - so if, like me, you have some windows proges you just cant do without, you can still run 'em. So there's ways round it.

Photoshop works okay on most machines for most people as image file sizes are generally smaller on a home-scale. If you need to be chewing through anything past 200 or so mbs on a bog standard system, get the tea and bickies in, switch on the telly and make yourself comfy. Video files over 5 mins or so are BIG.

Personally, If I were you, I'd go for the Mac - but whatever ya choose, get one with a large HD & spend as much as you can on RAM ;)

20. The Dell XPS is a ripoff... One could easily build the same type of gaming machine for hundreds less...

As far as laptops go, Personally I would go with either the Apple MacBook (with at least a gig of ram) or the Apple MacBookPro (also with at least a gig). Has the capability to run Windows if you have to for any reason, but OS X is generally more secure than XP (Keeping in mind that most people don't keep XP patched like they should). OS X is also faster IMO. But just go to an Apple store, or Fry's or CompUSA and try everything out for yourself. You might find an e-Machine (now owned by Gateway) laptop that suits your needs. I would also stay away from the Ailenware Laptops. They make great desktops, but the new generation of AW laptops are now just throttled Dell XPS laptops with shiny metallic paint....

It's your money dude... Research your shit wisely...
    -Antwan L.