Best Heavy Metal Guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by thccrystals, Sep 7, 2003.

?

Who is the best metal guitarist?

1. Kirk Hammet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dave Mustaine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dimebag Darrel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. John Petrucci

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kerry King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Marty Friedman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jason Becker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chuck Shuldiner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jeff Hanneman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Andreas Kisser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm partial to Black Sabbath myself... Iommi might not live up to today's standards of metal guitar, but you have to give him props... he did invent it. I think James Root and Mick Thomson are two very underrated guitarists, but I dunno if I'd put em on top. Adam Jones is definitely one of my favorites... Randy Rhodes was amazing considering he died at 23... I dont know if I could really pick a favorite... there are just too many worth mentioning haha.

~The Tick

2. Ler from Primus use to be a metal guitarist.:smoke:

3. cause he was possessed. ;)

4. Screw zakk wylde, how could u leave randy rhodes off of here, the original black sabbath guitarist for all that didnt know, hes so amazing, id also vote for myself, im a god at guitar:D

5. I'm quite surprised you don't like Sabbath, Hatebreeder. I won't try and convince you that you should because of the obvious influence they've had: that's one of the stupidest reasons I could think of to like a band (a good reason to check out a band though), but I enjoy their music in it's own right. I've been listening to a lot of Tony Martin era Sabbath recently and it's amazing how overlooked it all is.

6. Eh ozzy , sabbath, its pretty much the same thing i hate saying ozy cause he sung for sabbath, but like i know its different , either way rhodes was better than zakk by far imo

7. Haha I agree, hammet's wayyyyyyy overated...

8. That's some good shit, but it's a pity he's only demonstrating his rhythmical prowess.

9. I have a much longer clip if you want, it's a studio clip that's from their first album. It shows off the skills of pretty much everyone in the band. It's not the best quality but it's got good footage, and it's funny. http://www.nonhumanlevel.com/studio.mpg

10. Cool, I'll check it out tomorrow when I get a broadband connection again.

11. Heavy metal wouldnt exist without this person- JIMMY PAGE

12. How could anyone but Kirk Hammett even be considered? lmao j/k

Is Dimebag only up there because of his name or what? He just never really impressed me that much. Then again, Metallica was my favorite metal band up until fairly recently. My current favorite is more for their songwriting skills instead of some extreme guitar playing. Oh, plus they're heavy as sh!t and the vocals are tight. Chevelle...the 'Tool-biters' as some people say, but they're much heavier IMHO

13. yip also i like sepultura,megadeath,metallica, slayer but my favourite guitar player is inpink floyd group...lol
    and ofcourse jimi hendrix and s. vai
    peace out

14. dimebag darrel certainly has alot of skill and originality, but i think its just another case of an artist recieving all kinds of extra praise because he's dead.

I personally believe that the best player on that list on the part of skill and knowledge is Marty Friedman. Played with Cacophony, Megadeth, and some others. Just listen to Speed Metal Symphony, or Hangar 18. Then, try to imagine coming up with that music. Realize they weren't just sitting around plucking notes until something sounded good. Rather, marty's intricate knowledge of the fretboard and musical theory provides that he knows every use of every scale of every key. With that, he can select the scales to use in his leads, in the most creative ways. I've played guitar for about 5 years and plan on continuing to persue it, but I don't see myself ever becoming that good. I can play the music, but theres no way in hell I could write that well.

Hammet is also great though, but having heard each of these guitarists live, I must say that hammet is a bit sloppy compared to friedman. His solos are kickass, but in my opinion they don't use alot of techniques that can add alot to solos. He probably knows them, but if he doesn't show that knowledge then he can't recieve the credit. His licks can get pretty repetative too.

15. extra praise because he's dead? give me a break, this poll is way older than that, plus he was doing well before his death too. He fucking ripped on the guitar so hard and for you guys to downplay his skills is straight up wrong.

16. how about adam jones

17. ok, i didn't notice the thread date. But still man......dimebag had some talent, but its not at the level of some of the other guitarists mentioned.

If you don't want to believe that, i'll just say this:
    playing Pantera is a much easier task for me than it is to play megadeth, cacophony, or metallica tunes.

18. DIMEBAG FO SHO, kirk is so over rated. just like slash..

R.I.P DIMEBAG....