Best Handheld GPS?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by outdoorchamp, Apr 23, 2010.

1. hey i'm looking into investing in a handheld GPS unit for planting and then relocating my girls when I need to since Ill be growing in corn.

Was wondering what you all think the best units are, so far from the research Ive done Garmin is the "leader" but then again they dont say anything about this type of use.

The price isnt such a big deal since Ill put it to good use and need something lasting. Touch screen or not doesnt matter but battery life and durability are.

A few more questions.... When I'm using it will the pigs be able to pick up on my signal being sent back to the satellites?

Will I need to buy those costly maps that are useless with street information?

Are they easily visible in the midst of the night?

Thanks for any help.

Also if this is in the wrong section could a mod please put me in the right direction? haha

Awesome site.

2. I was wondering the same thing. I have a tom tom with a Long,Lat option. but i was wondering if it whould be good enough?

3. how old is your model? have you been using it for growing ?

I havent come across any tomtom models that are handheld, did you buy it through a store or online?

4. I have an eTrex. Basic yellow. It works great and is very accurate, well with in 18 feet anyhow. It had a top speed of 545 mph but I accidently earsed it. I recorded in from an airplane. The way point an position are still available. Can't get a good picture of the info, but the altitude is 38,678 ft.

5. ive been looking at that one since I tired my buddys but found it somewhat hard to use, but the good thing that was said about it is its a reliable unit.

I'm not gonna take it on a plane or go in high elevation.
    did you ever use it in the dark?

Any other recommendations ppl?

6. It has a light. Once you learn the short cuts it's easy to use and you won't need to use the scroll to get to the area you need. Pressing an holding the enter button will automatically set a way point. You can name them later.

Attached Files:

7. I have a bushnell color screen and georeferencing works great and love the thing!

I dont use my gps for growing though have all that in my head. I dont see a problem with using one for that though. If their tracking stuff like that you are already in trouble IMO

8. yes thats why I asked if they tracked it, so let's continue on that topic, do they track handheld GPS signals, say if u are out in a corn field at 2 am?

its easy to see when the corn is small but when it grows tall and its dense then u have your hands full!

has anyone used a lowrance unit before?

9. I personally would not worry about that. Thats just being paranoid in my opinion. Some guys might tell you different, but I don't worry about being tracked by technology: phone, GPS, car, or whatever. If they are gonna start tracking you by all that then you already have problems. :eek:

10. that's true but I would hate to be out there and some one flying in a small airplane just so happens to pick me up and either tips the pigs off or goes out there for themselves.

I know being too paranoid can be bad but I also enjoy my freedom lol

11. Satellittes track the unit 24/7. Garmin I'm sure has a database, you can register your unit. I'm cofortable with using the GPS for growing pot. Now it I was using one while breaking in to Fort Knox, I may be a little concerned.

I can't ease your fears of arrest.

12. How much did yours cost?

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

13. Off ebay $61.00 with data cord. The odds are a new unit will need to have the software updated. Garmin was helpful when I reset the clock a couple years ago when DSL was changed to November from October. The Satillittes may have been updated by not. The story is more complicated than the actual fix.

I can think of more advanced gimzos that would have priority over GPS when it comes to finding someone.

14. An airplane is not going to pick up your handheld gps signal. :D