best germination methods, revisited

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by urban criminal, Apr 19, 2010.

1. was wondering some of teh positives and negatives to germinating seeds in various methods and process's.

paper towel method

seed in water method

seed placed 3mm into soil method

rockwool/starter plugs method

im asking this after seeing disclaimers on "mandala seeds" site as to hwo to properly germ seeds. ive done the paper towel, and soil.

to me it amkes more sense to germ in soil, and now we with me getting some feminized barneys farm seeds. i definitely dont wanna fuck shit up.

what do you guys think?

2. I've also wondered about this. I think most people use the paper towel method because it's easy, and you can watch the progress and wait for the perfect time to transplant. When you just plant them in soil you really cant tell whether they're growing or not until they actually sprout. Just my $.02, but like I said I'm really interested in this as well.

3. #3 colafarmer, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
    What Mandala's unspoken words are trying to say is not to handle the seeds much and handle with clean hands, surgical gloves and twezers very carefully if you do. A lot of us germ in paper towels to get a sprout and know this should grow.
    The proper method is to pop it in soil and water, but I see no problem with other methods as long as done carefully, A good mature seed wil be brown to grayish in color and sometimes with a(not ccracked) crackle effect on the seed.
    Best time to plant is as soon as the sprout is about 1/8" long with the sprout going down into 1/2" hole in moist soil then gently push soil around the sprout and a spoon of water to set in soil.

4. My 2 cents.

5. To me the paper towel method is the way to go. Your not wasting any pot space/ peat pots like you do in the 3 mm method. Plus while in germ the seeds should never be exposed to light. The light causes the seeds to stop putting all of its energy toward root formation and instead divert so to leaf production. With the paper towel method you can tell the perfect time to plant because the roots start forming lots of root hairs. I'm way too forgetful when it comes to the water method though... drowned many of headie seeds this way.

6. Iv'e had 100% success with the paper towel method so far it's 12 for 12!