Best end of the year soil ammendments?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mjmama25, Jul 17, 2011.

1. I've always had to grow in containers until this season. I finally have a nice plot that can grow in year after year and I'm wondering what everyones favorite things are to add to the soil at the end of one season to prepare for the next season. I know it's early to be asking this but I want to plan ahead and have a more organized grow next season. Thanks in advance for any good advise.

ps - I'd particularly like to hear from some long term growers like Corto and OldPork...you old school growers know who you are.

2. well im no oldschool actually im very newbie but it depends on your soil type mine is clay and ive always heard add lime every other grow season to clay and that it does wonders for the ph but like i said im no oldschooler id like to hear what they have to say though gotta look up to the gurus haha

3. #3 mjmama25, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks. I've got pretty good soil here. Most of the property is on an old orchard, but of course my luck is the only plot that's private enough to grow on is where an an old road used to be. I had to bust out the concrete and dig through the filler rock they had underneath. Then I filled it back in with a mix of potting soil and the good dirt from the rest of the yard. I can't wait for next season where I can just go out and pop some plants in pre dug wholes. I can finally have the type of grow I've always wanted.

4. well i did add soil myself after i dug the holes but if you want to get specific about it test the ph and then you will know where to go from there as far as research

5. I have a neutral PH so I need something to lower it a little or a PH buffer. I'm thinking I should add things like egg shells, banana peels, and coffee grounds, as well as a PH buffer. I'm just not sure if there is anything specific I'm missing.

6. horse manure, chicken manure, green ferts, blood and bone meals... They attract worms who eat it and break it down for the plant.
    always cover a hole with mulch for the winter

7. Thanks Corto, much appreciated.

8. good luck dude hope you get it figured out and that they thrive im getting pumped myself 2 more months for me and i will finally be finished with my project haha they are already 4 months old

9. One more question.. Where do you guys get chicken manure? Do you buy it at gardening stores or what? I can easily go to my grandpas and get some horse manure, but I don't think he has chickens anymore. Oh well, there's lot of farms around here and I can probably find some for free. That's always the best way :)

10. Never mind, I googled it and saw scotts chicken manure, black gold, etc so now I know where to get it. Any brand you recommend, or anything I should be looking for when buying manure? I'm new to shit shopping, lmao.

11. #11 SmokeMB, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    This is a good question, because I wad curious about manure as well. I am going to fertilize organically next time and use some of these products. Do you just lay it at the top of the soil line then water?

12. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to mix everything into your soil at the end of this season and it will be perfect by the start of next season. The rain will do the watering for you.

13. #13 yoctown, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    I am not a long time or old school grower (only 2 seasons and new to oragnics) but I have been doing a lot of reading. This would be my first year doing something like this (organic). I have decided I would try a few things.

#1 mulch with alfalfa (hell even weeds will do as long as they havn't gone to seed and you remove the roots or soak them in an em-1 concoction)
    #2 mulch with manure. Figured steer manure because of it being easy to get cheaply and pretty balanced. Though a good chicken manure source would be nice to source also.
    #3 Both because alfalfa should really help to add some nitrogen.

I might even go crazy and add some em-1 solution to speed things up. I think these are all suggestions any of them would be happy with. You may get some really good suggestions over in the organic section because this is what they are all about over there. I have been learning about composting and lots of stuff. OP even has a thread about worm bins.

Another idea all together is a cover crop you could till in at the end of the season. I have been thinking about trying some white dutch clover out myself. A nitrogen fixing plant. I would innoculate with the proper bacteria myself.

Don't want to hijack this but should I also do this early spring to really get my soil in high gear?