Best dry herb Vaporizer? Table top or portable?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by TheGreen13, Apr 23, 2018.

1. So right now in using a 510 pen style vaporizer with prefilled oil because thats all my state would allow. I hate it because i feel like its still combusting the oil even on the so called low setting. It messes with my throat and sinuses pretty bad when it burns the oil if i hold the button a nano second too long when taking a hit.

Thankfully my state just passed the law to allow dry herb/flower. It will be available within 3 months. So now im shopping for a dry herb/flower vaporizer and hopping it will be alot better and more like real vapor instead of smoke.

So what is the best vaporizer for pure vapor? I was looking into the Pax 3 bud saw some reviews that said conduction vaporizers can compust and burn even the really good ones. Even though i love the portability, look and function of the Pax i dont want to be messing my throat and sinuses up still. Or is the Pax 3 good and doesn't do that?

Thought about the Firefly 2. But see alot of people complaining about the draw and it breaking and warranty issues with the company. Do know if thats true? But it is convection and its portable and it has my interest. From what ive read convection is the way to go as it has a lot less chance of combusting.

Then theres a part of me that says get a good table top convection vaporizer like Da Budda and others being that i use at my house 85% of the time. Would these table top vaporizers be alot better then the high end portables??

What should i go with for dry herb/flower? I would rather a portable vaporizer but not at the chance of combusting and messing my throat and sinuses up. So would a table top REALLY be better for that? Or not?

2. Magic flight launch box some people love or some people don't but it's easy to combust so I would definitely go for the pax tho I prefer the second pax

Sent from my Pixel XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. So no issues with the Pax combusting? That would be great because i really like the idea of the Pax 3 as smart temperature control portable that can fit all my needs whether im at home or out in the woods or something. I guess its all in the temperature control right? As long as its on a low temp setting i would think it should be fine.

4. They don't really combust and the pax 3 is a good piece

Sent from my Pixel XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. So what is the best vaporizer for pure vapor?....Depends on what you call pure, for some folks if it isn't all glass and heater residue free its dirty, other folks will settle for just no plastic taste. For myself I can live with a ceramic heater and glass.

Then theres a part of me that says get a good table top convection vaporizer like Da Budda and others being that i use at my house 85% of the time....Got one and like it, pairs easily with water pieces and if you don't break the glass its really problem free. Downsides its a basic vape with minimal whistles and bells.

Would these table top vaporizers be alot better then the high end portables?....A good vape (portable or tabletop) is a good vape and in the final analysis its comes down to preferences and the user doing their part.

6. Grab a cfx when its on sale. It has quick charge that takes 15 minutes, one of the fastest heaters on the market and you can mod it to have better airflow pretty easily. It also blows huge clouds.

Anything with a solid air path that doesnt hit electronics can be considered a ``pure vape``. There are plenty of portables that work just as well as desktops now.

7. Which vaporizer do you use with a ceramic heater and glass? One of the cheaper vaporizers with that kind of set up i was looking at in the the second gen Vicod g5. The standard mouth piece is plastic but it also comes with a longer glass stem style mout piece and its a ceramic chamber and convection heated. Seems pretty good especially for around $110 dollars.

I thought about the pax 3 because i really like the size and look. But its a metal chamber and its conduction. Just seems like a lesser vape in that regard for the money and your just paying extra for the high tech aspect of it conecting to your phone with app and the adjustablity. I could be wrong and it may be worth it and good im just thinking out loud.

8. I just checked it out. Looks pretty good. Is that a plastic mouth piece? Or black glass? Cant tell. I worry that with plastic when it heats up you taste plastic and may disperse some chemicals in the vapor.

9. I have the Pax 3, Magic Flight Launch Box, Firefly, Firefly 2, and many others.

The Pax 3 is a great vape for people new to vaping imo. There’s not a whole lot to learn. You fill it with herb(though even with a half pack it uses quite a bit more herb than other options.) I’ve never had combustion issues, and have only heard of them with a few broken machines, or ones where someone *really* failed to maintain it.

The Firefly 2, while I personally like it more, is hard for me to recommend. Especially to a first timer. I didn’t have that hard of a time getting it down, but I’ve also been vaping for 20 years, and have been using a Magic Flight Launch Box for about half that time, which has a surprisingly similar technique.

Pax has excellent customer service and have been great to me.

While the Fireflies have interchangeable batteries, and I have an external charging dock, each battery only lasts a couple of bowls, which imo lowers it’s true “portability,” as some people might need 5-6 batteries for a day out with it. They only take about 45 mins to charge though, and I have 3. So it works for at home. I haven’t had it long enough to need warranty service yet, but I bought a twice used Firefly 1 just over 2 weeks before buying the 2, and I like the 1 more.

It’s just that the 1 was a very expensive vape(like its successor) launched via Kickstarter that far fewer people have actually tried. The Firefly 2 was a direct salvo at the Pax 3, but when you compare the build quality to either the Firefly 1 or the Pax 3, it feels like a flimsy piece of shit.

At the end of the day, my vape that sees the most use is my Magic Flight Launch Box hooked to a power adapter. But they have their own issues around their warranty, and the extra tools you need to fully appreciate it.

The rest have all been fruitless adventures in “if it costs more then it must be better!”

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Sounds like the Pax 3 is a good way to go. I have some time to figure it out at least since the dispensary is saying the dry flower wont be available till the end of summer. By then there might be other options even like a Pax 4. Lol..

11. I have the pax3 and love it get the half pack bowl with it!

12. Yeah definitely. . If i go with the Pax 3 im getting the complete kit.

13. #13 Rezerg, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

There are a few mouth pieces you can get for it. I mostly use the metal adapter that sits on it like a mouthpiece so I can easily swap it to my glass. You can get plastic, glass or metal.

The best part is the quick charge. What usually takes vapes 3 hours, this charges in 15 minutes. I have a pax 2 and 3 (2.5 hours to charge) that are with family members now. I got rid of them because they needed too much cleaning and had way too heavy of a draw resistance after a few bowls. I find it hard to switch to something else when I can charge this unit quickly for a quick bowl from my phone. ( my phone doubles at a battery).

As for what its made of. The chamber is ceramic. I suggest waiting until next black friday if you can as most vapes are 60% off. If you're going to get something now to hold you over, the sutra mini on ebay for 80 bucks (120 with warranty) is amazing. It outperforms the pax easily. It doesnt quick charge, but has a stainless steel chamber and glass air path and its the smallest portable vape you can find.

Next in line in my opinion would be the airizer air or solo. They have different draw styles. If you suck on them directly, its a heavy resistance but if you sip on it, there is no resistance at all. They arent very portable though as they have a lot of glass sticking out but they are great for camping trips or sitting at home in the yard.

If you're looking at the 200+ price range then there are a lot of vapes to pick from. Divinci ascents latest one is amazing. Full conduction made from a special ceramic that puts it on another level.

Then you have the oldschool monsters the Crafty and Mighty. Both of these vapes are great and are made by THE top manufacturer in vapes. Boundless vapes has knocked off a lot of their designs ( in fact the CFX works largely in the same fashion ). You will get good, consistent clouds with options like capsules and stuff. They unfortunately are pretty old now and havent been updated greatly in a while meaning they take a couple hours to charge up.

The best thing to do if you're looking for vapes is to check out vape critic or the like on youtube. I usually try to take into account draw resistance, how often I have to clean and if it had quick charge or not has recently become a must for me.

I should also mention that the pax3 has a plastic mouthpiece.

14. Look into butane (jet flame torches) vapes like the SBjr, vapcap, vapman, Lotus, ....

I own several of this style and love them. You need technique. Sharing is not that easy.
    They safe on herb, they are made to last (no electronic to break).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Arizer Go..

Trust me

16. Hi I have a volcano, wanted a portable vape- bought the Loki Touch- horrible, but almost worth it to learn what horrible is. The Loki gives you 2 flavorful hits then the taste is gone. It lasted 2 months then the triple zero error message- p o s- researched n bought a Pax 3 on 4.20. Love it, a beautifully designed vape. At high temps there is a faint oven taste but at lower temps it’s awesome. The flavor degrades only towards the very end of the sesh . It’s not the ultimate like the volcano but if Loki is 1 and the volcano 10, Pax is an 8- yes there’s better but so many people myself included love the Pax 3

17. I want something to replace my bongs. I'm just tired of coughing etc.

18. What state are you in?

19. Which vaporizer do you use with a ceramic heater and glass? Most of the corded 7th Floor vapes fill that bill, I use a LSV and a Da Buddha but the Silver and Super models are very similar. I also know the E-Nano first hand and it is mostly glass and ceramic airway. There are others but I don't know them well enough to comment.