Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

best decarbing method for oil or avoid decarb

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by lovesyou, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I was looking to make cannabis oil for brownies, pasta sauce, and soup.

I was going to decarb, but couldn't find a method where people said "yea I tried X method and works better than Y method".

Should I even decarb if I'm going to simmer in oil? This site says less than a simmer for 1-2 hours:
    Cannabis Cooking Oil | Marijuana Cooking, Recipes, Tutorials, Cannabutter, more

Another site I've been using personally says basically the same as above but gives exact temperatures of the oil of 350-380F for 30 minutes. It's BEEN GREAT, but I have nothing to compare it to.

But I can't help wondering if adding a decarbing stage would increase potency (especially CBD). What is frustrating is that I can't find people that have tried multiple methods online, no one ever says "I tried BOTH (or multiple) methods and this was the best".

So far I've got:
    Decarb in oven for 250F for 1 hour.
    Decarb in oven for 220F for 30 minutes.
    Decarb in oven for 120F for 30-60 minutes.

Basically I'd like to hear someone say "I tried these methods and this is what worked and this is what didn't work" or "decarbing and then simmering in oil doesn't increase potency because I've tried it so just do one".

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. I find that anywhere from 220-250, but an hour is just not needed. I made some potent ass brownies and I decarbed at 220 for ~20 minutes. Also since decarbing doesn't take long anyways, I'd just do it anyways since it increases the potency, I've also made brownies the same way just I didnt decarb and it still worked though

3. Ah, it sounds like you're saying there's no difference in potency, is that right?

4. Therw is a huge difference in the potency between decarbed weed and non-decrbed weed

been there done that kinda thing :eek:

IME 200-220f for 20-30 minutes in a sealed container is generally enough.
    check after ~20 minutes, if it needs to sit a lil longer give it another ~10 minutes

the thing about decarbing is to not go over 250f and to check your herb after ~20 minutes ;)

5. Ok cool thanks.

What kind of container? I have a mason jar with a rubber ring; will the rubber ring burn/melt at 220F ?

6. what should decarbbed weed look like when its done?

7. slightly toasted / brownish and it should crumble easily when pinched between your fingers

I have noticed a big difference in dry weed and decarbed weed
    really dry weed makes a lot of keif in a good grinder
    properly decarbed weed will not make any keif IME

8. A ceramic plate covered in aluminum works fine ;)

9. A pyrex or ceramic baking dish would work fine, just cover it with foil.

It will look noticeably more brown than before you decarb'd, depending on the freshness of your bud/trim/stems etc.

10. So i've decarbed mids and dank before several times, always around 220F, plus or minus 10degrees, for about 10-20 mins. I've always been scared of cooking it too long, so I take it out when it is very crunchable between two fingers. But I have been noticing that when I breakdown the weed between my fingers, it seems like there might be a lil bit of moisture still there. Have you guys experienced this? Is it not fully decarbed? I feel like I want to throw it back in the oven, but the weed is already turned brown and has that distinct decarb smell to it. I just dont want to overdoo it and f up the weed.

11. a few minutes over wont really harm your herb
    if it still feels moist in the middle, its not done yet ;)

12. [quote name='"lovesyou"']

Ah, it sounds like you're saying there's no difference in potency, is that right?[/quote]

Nah like not decarbing works but it's way more potent if you do

13. Thanks so much everyone. I'll go with 220F in a dish covered with foil for 20 minutes, then take it to the next stage. =)

14. Let us know how your edibles turn out!!

15. i read that the microwave is effective in decarboxylation. i read that u put the bud in for 2 minutes. you take it out and you want to it to be crumbly. then you go from there.....if u really are interested ill find out where i read it and more details.

16. Please don't use a microwave to decarb your weed.
    the temps are highly unstable in a microwave

yea, you can decarb some parts of your herb
    but you can burn other parts of it as well

:wave:

17. This definitely increased potency. :D

18. so if you are using fairly dried out herb (mids in my area tend to be over dried and compressed and I am not going to use my dank until until I find a recipe that is fool proof) anyway, with herb like that, do you decarb any differently? Temps or duration?

Didn't mean to hijack but it is a question many have and I thought it was relevant to the discussion.

19. Decarboxylation is just a fancy word for "curing"...
    In lam en's terms, decarbing describes the conversion of Cannabinoid Acids into their active Cannabinoid form. When decarboxylation is taking place, CO2 and O2 are released as bi-products of the carboxyl reduction reaction and the end result is more potent than before decarbing.

If your buds are already really dry, decarboxylation has already occurred to a certain extent as decarb'ing happens naturally over time. It is a good idea, however, to decarb using the application of heat as this will ensure that you end up with the most "activated" product that you can get.

Logically, if decarb'ing has already occurred to a certain extent, less activation should be required in order to produce an effective result.
    So in conclusion....
    The process of decarboxylation varies from recipe-to-recipe and from person-to-person. The time and temperature you use depends heavily on the amount/kind of product you add.
    Fresh bud/trim will take longer to decarb than older, dry buds/trim.

I've found that the best way to dial in your recipe is by trial and error :cool:
    I hope this was somewhat helpful, and good luck with your edibles!!