Best Books On Organic Cannabis Cultivation?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Atmo, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I have The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes and it's a great guide, but now I'm looking for a definitive organic cultivation book (preferably for indoor if there is a choice). Is there a "bible" version for this?

I do have the Teaming with Microbes and Teaming with Nutrients, but would love a really good organic grow book.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

2. Teaming with microbes and teaming with nutrients. Both worth there weight in gold as far as understanding the soil food web and basic plant biology. Awesome reads.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Agreed, I've got those ones as well, just looking for more :)

4. If you really want to up your game in the organic growing paradigm, leave cannabis out of the title of the books you seek and look for organic gardening books.

Cannabis grows like any other plant and really doesn't have special needs like some of the cannabis authors would have you believe. TBH, some of the best organic gardening information to be found is right here in this forum and you have the added benefit of being able to converse in real time with those that are gardening this way daily.

If I were to recommend a good book as a starting place, The Ideal Soil would be the best recommendation I could make. The secret to the best results in any garden is in the soil and secondly, in an IPM program. Learn how soil works, its relationship to healthy plants, and what you as a gardener can do to optimize your soil.

HTH

Chunk

[​IMG]

5. #5 Atmo, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    Cool I will check this one out, thanks! Good call on generic organic growing. Plus, I plan to have a veggie garden in the future so this would be good either way.

And yes, this forum is awesome and I have learned a lot throughout the years here! I just like books because I can read them while I can't get on the forum (watching TV with my girl, etc) - total immersion :)

6. :bongin:

Attached Files:

7. Awesome! Thanks so much :)

8. "If you really want to up your game in the organic growing paradigm, leave cannabis out of the title of the books you seek and look for organic gardening books."

Hear hear. Great advice. As soon as you throw herb into the mix all kinds of silly (bad) advice comes into play. Learning to grow plants in General is so much more important than learning to grow just one plant.

Try out this book by Fukuoka - it's wonderful. "One Straw Revolution"

http://idc-america.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/One_Straw_Farming_Fukuoka.pdf

J

9. I didn't notice Gandalf already beat me to it.

J

10. Yup, I will be reading all of these! I am a research junky and I get very obsessive when it comes to it (as some of you may have seen in some of my posts) - so I am very excited to get into these. I will start with that One Straw Revolution book.

And I agree it's very important to know how to grow your own food.. especially after the collapse ;)

I can't wait for next year to start growing veggies and other foods... just wish I had a large enough building to set up a huge grow room for veggies, and just have my little box for cannabis.

One day!

11. Great idea! I've always wanted to and still may set up an indoor vegetable garden. While it may cost a little in initial setup for another light or two and then added monthly electricity the saved money on the grown food itself will help offset the cost, and not only that it's something I enjoy so why not? I've just got to come up with the space at home lol.

You will really enjoy the One Straw Revolution. The author (Masanobu Fukuoka) was a wonderful writer. He was so in tune with everything around him; from the Earth to his soil, to insects and birds - his method of gardening is simplicity itself and is a real joy to read.

Atmo - welcome to the Organics forum.

J

12.  I learned most of my info from The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening and several other " Rodale" books as follows, How to grow fruits and vegetables the organic way, Composting, Ruth Stout's book's etc. Like you say we are growing a weed !! Weeds in my garden never seem to struggle unless I pull them or mulch them!! Jorge's book goes into great detail on indoor growing and not so much on outdoors. I think someone should write one focusing on one or the other! Some people prefer to grow outdoors only, I am sure it will only be a matter of time before the grow books will be everywhere and specific details per strain etc. will be presented! Just look at all the hydro stores popping up where legalization has been made.All these magic elixir's need to be tested to prove their value . :confused_2:  The book's won't be to far behind. Jorge 's new 6th edition should make him lot's of money! :gc_rocks:

13. True Living Organics by The Rev. Great book, packed with organic info, soil mixes, spikes and layers, and tea recipes.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #14 donothinggardening, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    So far, Seaweed and Plant Growth by T. L. Senn is fooking awesome. I just got started on it, though. It can be bought from Acres USA.

@[member="Gandalf_the_Green"] this book is right up yer alley, dude

15. Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet by Oliver Morton

The blurb at Amazon:

From acclaimed science journalist Oliver Morton comes Eating the Sun, a fascinating, lively, profound look at photosynthesis, nature's greatest miracle. From the physics, chemistry, and cellular biology that make photosynthesis possible, to the quirky and competitive scientists who first discovered the beautifully honed mechanisms of photosynthesis, to the modern energy crisis we face today, Eating the Sun offers a complete biography of the earth through the lens of this common but crucial process.

16. Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World - Wendy Johnson

Perhaps a more appropriate subtitle would have been Zen and the Art of Horticulture Maintenance, since Johnson infuses every aspect of gardening with the philosophy that has been her guiding light for more than 30 years. A Zen Buddhist master, Johnson has served as head gardener for San Francisco's Green Gulch Farm Center, a place of exceptional tranquility and vibrancy where her daily devotional meditation practices became as essential to the health and productivity of her gardens as they were to her body and soul.
    \nEspousing seven essential principles that demonstrate respect for the land through organic gardening and ecological farming, Johnson relates practical information about botanical basics, such as planting, growth, and propagation, as well as the craft of gardening, such as designing, tending, and harvesting.
    \nViewed through the prism of an elemental understanding of the unbridled life that exists in every garden, Johnson's wisdom is conveyed with a lyrical, poetic, yet pragmatic sensibility that both calms the mind and excites the imagination.

17. #17 Possuum, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014

I support this line of response. I was going to suggest Rodale's book on composting. At some point whether you grow cannabis or tomatoes, indoors or out, if you're gonna grow organic you simply must have your own handmade compost. Rodale is the place to start. They literally 'wrote the book'.

Understanding soil science, i.e. the living breathing soil and the chemistry of the soil, is of utmost importance. There is, however, a fine line of distinction between soil science outdoors and soil science in a container. Learn to know where that line exists.

OP, "6th edition" phttttt! Ya know everyone has to start somewhere. Folks herein previously gave you excellent recommendations and you should start your journey there. I have a couple of Whore-Hey books around, 'Jorge' being a nom de plume. His real name is Van Platten or something similar and his 1st edition book was a hydroponic vegetable gardeners handbook. He got stoned, changed his pseudonem to 'Jorge' and wrote the 1st edition of his "cannabis bible" which was the same contents of his hydroponic vegetable garden handbook with the word "cannabis" substituted for the word "tomato".I know this to be true because I own both books. Ole Coot could give us the real deal run down on that dude - whoever he is.

I'm pretty sure there's at least a few of us that wish we had the tenacity and/or wherewithall to publish a book on cannabis gardening. Just writing the TOC is overwhelming as anyone who has tried to construct a book outline would attest to.

Best of gardening bliss to you OP. As the saying goes, "Don't panic! Just grow organic!"

18. Exactly true!

I own both books also and at least one is autographed. Must be worth a mint. :ey:  :confused_2:  Ya reckon? :cool:

Wet

19. GC's "absolute beginners" e-bay auction?

20.  Yes Possum I noticed that same thing but I will give him credit for making the effort and the end result was in all probability some type of financial gain ! Those old Rodale books are hard to beat. My father was big on organic's and I still have boxes full of the organic gardening magazine's that he subscribed to. Man those mags were full of good info and mostly just that ,the current mag. is more advertisements . I still have the original Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller, What a tank it is!! Most everything you need to go organic is laying all around us and is FREE for the taking! It just takes diligence and strong work ethic to produce the end result. My Daughter say's that everything that comes out of my garden is on steroids!! When everyone compliments me on how great my garden is, I can trace it all back to Rodale's book's and of course my Father.  :love: