Best band of the new millenium

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by PUSCIFERfan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. I was wondering what this decade will be remembered for, musically. In your opinions, what is the best band to come out since 2000? There have been some excellent albums in this time, but they've all been released by older artists like Tool, Pearl Jam, The Cure, NIN, Rush, etc. I could name tons of great bands from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, but when it comes to this generation, it's just shit. It seems like all the current bands I hear fall into a few categories:

Corporate approved eye-liner wearing Disturbed sound-alikes: This includes bands like Evanescence, Staind, Hinder, Godsmack, and countless others. They think they're heavy because they can play power chords and dress in black. Their music has no originality, and I've never heard a single song by these bands that doesn't follow this formula: power chords, first verse over softer guitar, chorus over heavier guitar, second verse, chorus, lame guitar solo, chorus. It's music for angry 13-year-olds.

Indie: 1% of this genre is kinda catchy. 99% = zzzzzzzz....

Emo: It's pretty cool that Panic at the Disco (they don't deserve that exclamation mark) likes Chuck Palahniuk. Too bad nothing else about this whiny genre is cool.

Nickelback: Just terrible. All their songs sound alike, and their singer might be the most arrogant person on the planet. This asshole references baseball 3 times in one song. I'm a minor league baseball player, and I can't stand it.

Rap: I remember a time when rap had a message; a time when a rapper didn't brag about how rich, drunk, or sexy he was, but rather how smart his ryhmes were. Biggie, 2pac, Nas, Dre, Eminem, Public Enemy, Mos Def--they all had something to say. Hyphy and Crunk can go to hell. Soulja Boy, kill yourself.

High School The Musical: The soundtrack for this movie was the #1 selling album of 2006. Shame on America.

I know I'm a hater, and I don't care. I'd just like to know what you guys consider good current bands because I respect your opinions. My vote for best band of the decade goes to either The Mars Volta, Velvet Revolver, or A Perfect Circle, although members of VR and APC used to be in better bands. Immortal Technique gets my vote for best new rapper, he isn't even signed to a major label.

2. sublime, 311, nin, tool, jack johnson, lil wayne, nirvana, rage against the machine, audioslave, outcast

there is few artists out at the moment i have respect for but i always listen to these and prolly a lot of others daily :D

3. sublime, nirvana, rage against the machine,

im fairly sure these bands have not release anything this millennium.

also, FACT: tool is not a good band.

i can see this band getting huge:

Baroness

4. Nickelback may sound the same all the time, but their sound was sweet during their first song, lol.

Radio music sucks btw, gotta find music other ways.

5. also, i see rap being a pretty big discussion on this forum... but its mostly unresearched, unknowledgable comments.

please do me and everyone else a favor, and stopping listening to lil wayne, and mtv... thats not rap, at all check these guys out:

Blackalicious
    Blue Scholars
    Common Market
    Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
    Dr. Octagon
    Hieroglyphics
    Spearhead
    Swollen Members

you might find something you like!

6. The Mars Volta - De Loused in the Comatorium...I'm pretty sure this came out after '00..and if so, it is the best album of the new millennium in my opinion...whether or not this makes TMV the best band of the millennium I'm not too sure, but they're definitely up there

7. Well, for one thing the last couple of Slightly Stoopid albums have been great. Thats from the 00's. Whether or not it'll be remembered, or considered best band of 00's other than by a stoner is something I doubt tho.

Personally I might consider John Butler Trio. I dunno when his first album came out but he is one of my favourite bands that are still going

What about Gomez? They were more 90s, weren't they? Same with Tool, which is the only other band I can think of.

8. wtf, no. wrong.

9. TOOL fuckin rocks. I did check out Baroness though, and I like 'em.