Best band of all time...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by GratefulTaylor, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Doesn't have to necessarily be your favourite but who do you think is the best band (or musician)? Take into account lyrics, musical ability, touring, influence etc...
    My vote is for Zeppelin.

2. The Strokes, minus the influence factor

3. I don't think I could even possibly name a "best band of all time". There are so many that are fantastic in their own ways.

Zeppelin is great. Hendrix is great. I love a lot of the classic rock era bands that are still rocking today like the Rolling Stones.

Fucking ZZ Top?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI]ZZ Top - I Gotsta Get Paid - YouTube[/ame]

Billy Gibbons is almost as old as my fucking grandpa and still rocks.

So... I don't know. I can't even begin to decide on a "best band of all time".
    I guess I should have just not posted here. :laughing:

4. No I'm really happy you did! It is really hard to narrow it down and like you said, musicians are the best at what they do and in their own regard. For the most part, I'm totally stuck in the '70's when it comes to music and those are the artists I can gush about for hours and respect the most so I'm happy you mentioned the musicians that you did. I do love pretty much every genre though so it is difficult. I'm going through a Zeppelin kick at the moment, that may have swayed my opinion.

ZZ Top, eh? That is one band I really have never gotten into. I'll have to delve a little deeper into their work.

5. #5 wickedjoker, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    I don't know if I would say he's the best musician, but I think Eminem deserves a massive amount of respect for making it above the adversity that he faced in becoming as famous as he is. I feel like, more than anything else, his music represents the fact that anybody has the potential to be something big if they really put their mind to it, and that's pretty damn skippy.

On a side note, Flux Pavilion is an amazing electronic music producer; he does all of his own mixing, mastering, producing, singing, guitar, etc. and it always sounds amazing. Even when his stuff isn't of a general feel that clicks with me, he just has a knack for making it sound good. Know what I mean?

PS Sorry if my tastes are too new-school for everybody in this thread :p

6. You know, I haven't actually delved that deep into ZZ Tops stuff myself, but I've liked everything I've heard. I got to hear them play live last summer and they fucking rocked. Which I think is damned impressive for a group of guys who would qualify for the senior discount at the local buffet. :laughing:

7. #7 RVD420RVD, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    Well Van Halen immediately popped in my head that would be biased though haha. The 2 names that popped in after were Zep and Hendrix

8. I like plenty of new-school stuff too, it's just that when I think "best band of all time" I tend to not consider new/more recent bands because the best bands that are active right now could turn into shit next year for all I know. :p

9. What a bunch of immature dicks!

10. [quote name='"junkiedays"']

What a bunch of immature dicks![/quote]

Good catch. All edited :)

11. Slipknot is my favourite, but the greatest.... Who knows

12. That's a good point, even my favorite artist isn't anything like what he used to be. But regardless he's still my favorite; I've been to so many of his shows, met him, and spent countless hours listening to his music, so that takes precedence over his current ability in my eyes. :)

13. Van Halen...yeah honestly I'd put them up there just based on Eddie and Alex's musical ability. I will say that I don't really like Sammy Hagar though :x

14. Nah, there are a lot of new bands/musicians that I think have the potential to become legendary one day. 30 years from now people will still probably be talking about Eminem. While I might not listen to his music, I do definitely respect him and you bring up very good points. I've only heard the name of Flux Pavilion before, never the music but your explanation is totally legit.

15. The Stone Roses from beautiful sunny Manchester in the UK

16. Hmm never heard of them. I'll give them a listen :)

17. led zeppelin

i listen and produce electronic music 24/7, but led zeppelin = fucking gods

18. [quote name='"GratefulTaylor"']Van Halen...yeah honestly I'd put them up there just based on Eddie and Alex's musical ability. I will say that I don't really like Sammy Hagar though :x[/quote]

I'm the biggest VH fan you'll ever meet and all I got to say to that is FUCK Hagar. Wasn't VH with him

19. The beatles were good and influenced everyone but if u ever get chance read about the hacienda nightclub and the madchester scene (spelled right lol) then do it such an iconic time for music

20. As you can tell by my quick edit, I totally read your first comment as just "The Stones" and replied accordingly haha. But yeah, I definitely will. I'll read/listen to anything to further my musical history knowledge.