Best and most affordable light for growing 5 plants indoors?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Brekne21, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Looking to buy a single light that is affordable and able to grow 5 plants from start to finish. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. grow area?
    Budget?
    Will heating or cooling the area be a concern? Grow room is best at around 25c.

3. What size area are you growing 5 plants? How long are you going to be vegging? What's your budget? One person's thought on being affordable, could be quite different than another person. I'm no lighting expert but know answers to these questions will help get you a more accurate answer. I'm not sure if there are many "affordable" lights that will handle 5 plants. Especially if vegged quite a while. IMO, I would buy the best light/lights that you can afford and only grow as many plants that the light will handle. My current grow space is 12'x3'. I could probably fit 4 big plants vegged for 8wks, but only grow 2 because I'm only running a 600w hps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The mars hydro 300 watt lights are a popular light to start with. They’re highly rated and run about $65 on Amazon. They can be daisy chained too.

I would maybe pick up as many of those as you can afford and then grow as many plants as you can reasonably sustain with what you have.

-Logan

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. i am also going with a good old 1000 watt hps as long as you can control the heat . if you buy a solis tek ballast you can dim it to 600 and put a 600 mh into the fixture veg with it so it will not murder the electric bill its 100 % safe. then switch to the monster 1000 watt setting with your 1000 watt hps bulb . you can dim a hps will not rune it but it will not work as well messes with the spectrum . . you CANT dim a mh it will kill it in a few weeks or less . if your on a huge budge look into ipower brands here . iPower 1000w 1000 watt HPS MH Grow Light Digital Dimmable Indoor Garden System | eBay its a good kit . what i would do i would veg with a t5 or led bulbs something that does not kill the e bill all you need is 100 watts or so until there showing there second set of leaves then turn on the 1000 watt mh watch them grow up to 2 inches day . depending on feeding water co2 . most common 1/2 inch in 24 hours with a 1000 mh . hope all this helps .

• Like Like x 1
  6. The missing part of this equation is what size is your grow space? You really don't know how much light you need until you know how many square feet you need to bloom. For 5 plants I would definitely go with two 600 watt hps over a single 1000 watter. 600's are the most efficient hps bulbs with about 25 extra lumens per watt compared to 1000 watt bulbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The other thing is just saying 5 plants is irrelevant. The size of 5 plants can vary so much it isn't funny. Many people grow only 2 plants per 1000 watt hps because they like to flower a sizable plant for large yields. If you were doing something similar it would take 2500 watts to bud 5 plants well. At the same time you could build a table and put 5 plants in a 2x2ft space with a 150 watt hps then bud them as soon as they sprout.

Need more info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tbone i do agree with you on the number of plants . i know people that shoot 1000 watts per plant they pull some serious weight its all about your canopy . 1 plant can yield more then 20 plants . all depending . . what is the size of this are your dealing with ??? with these 5 plants . i love 600 watt hps they do pull serious weight as well . but for a few more bucks 600 vs 1000 watts set up price is actually the same . budget set up for the maximum amount of light spread . in the summer i turn on the 600 . in the winter im switching the bulbs to 1000s . open hoods we need more info .

• Like Like x 2
  9. It's cheaper for setup with 1000's but in the long haul you may be more efficient with the 600's. The first grow would cover the extra light.

The advantages with 600 watt vs 1000 watt are more efficient light output and more points of light in a larger garden that needs more then one light for superior spread. 3 600 watt hps in the same area as 2 1000 watters the 3 600's are going to yield more with 200 watts less I bet. You can't cover the same area as well with only two lights. Yes it's more expensive to setup but after that first crop it's much better. You can also veg the same area with just two 600's then add the third for flower making the grow overall more efficient in temps and electric usage.

• Like Like x 2
  10. did he every get back to us . the room they have .