Berry Ryder Auto: T5/cfl Hydro Cabinet Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by freedomisamyth, Jun 9, 2013.

1. I've left the cabinet open for most of the day to keep her cooler. There's also a box fan blowing across the open doors.

She's still curling and brittle. My next step is to change the solution. The TDS started at about 280 and now its at 560. I'm guessing its the poorly rinsed hydroton or I've got algae growing. Either way, she's getting new juices tonight.

I've named her "Barb Lahey". Let's hope she pulls through. There's been no growth since the curling started.

2. I cleaned the bucket and replaced the solution.

TDS is at 365ppm
    Res Temp is 23.5C
    PH is 5.8

She already looks less stressed, but maybe it's in my head. I'll update again later tonight.

3. It looks like she's recovering. The leaves that were curling are somewhat damaged in places around the edges but now there's new growth and it's bright green and appears healthy.

Do the curled and damaged leaves ever fully heal?

4. In other news, I'm glad to see that there's finally an app for grasscity forums. I found it on tapatalk. It's about time.

5. Barb's new growth looks healthy and green. I think the leaf curling problem is behind us. The damaged leaves look better than they did, but they're still burnt on the edges.

Overall she's bushier and perkier since I swapped the solution and clean the bucket. I need to find a better way to rinse my hydroton next time. I'm almost positive that's what was causing the TDS to rise and leaves to curl and burn.

6. subbed I am along for the ride

7. Thanks man. I'll start getting more pictures uploaded once she starts flowering. I'm on day 15 now so not much longer. Another week or two, I think.

8. So what do you think of this leaf curling problem I have? They're starting to taco again. Last time I ended up with burnt edges.

9. ya I really need pics to give you any idea, though I'm not a great grower. I fried my rDWC Jack girls the other day. In the morning I topped off her water and added more nutes to bring it up to just about 1k ppm. When I got home from work they had drank 10 gallons and had brought the concentration up way high and the pH low. That night I noticed the burn. 

I need to see what you call tacoing. That usually means CaMg is not there. If you're using RO water you need to use it regularly.

10. I'll get pics up today. Basically the leaves are curling into a taco shape and the tips and edges are looking burnt. I think it was nute burn from the poorly rinsed hydroton. My TDS jumped from 265 to 560 without my adding any nutes. It looks like the new growth is a dark green color and nothing new that's grown in since I cleaned my bucket is burnt.

I'll get pictures up today.

11. I don't really know alot about dwc but the only time I see the taco shape is when I let temps get to high in the grow box. For the burnt edges I would have to say it is nute burn but I am no master grower.

12. That's exactly what I figured. I've kept the cabinet door open for a few hours a day. That seems to help. And after I changed the solution the burning edges seemed to stop.

I'll get pictures up in a few minutes. I hope I didn't ruin anything.

13. I found broken roots in my bucket. They were in water but somehow broke. I blame my frozen water bottle. That explains why the growth has stunted. Hopefully I didn't stunt it too much.

I'm trying to see how it compares in weight to barbysguy's soil Berry Ryder micro grow. Check out his journal. He's got new growth after harvest and he's going to try for a second harvest on the same plant. It's interesting to me.

14. Barb's growth is starting to accelerate. I'm getting more fan leaves to replace the damaged ones and they're giving her a much needed boost. I'll get pictures in the next day or two.

15. Pictures!

Day 22:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372788804.882937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372788822.296997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372788837.730723.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372788852.292374.jpg

16. Barb is really taking off. She's tripled in size within the past week. I'm going to raise the nutrient level tonight when I add more water and see if that helps her grow even more.

17. I'm still getting excellent growth. There's preflowers everywhere so I must be getting closer to the flowering stage.

I'll get pictures later today when the lights come back on.

18. Looking great man

19. Thanks. She's now twice as big as the last posted pictures. I'll get more up when the lights come on in a couple hours.

I just added more nutrients and a lot of ph down. For some reason the ph spiked since I checked it last. I think it's from the water I'm adding everyday. I'll give it a few minutes to circulate and I'll check everything again.