Berries

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by etnad0, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I had a friend tell me that adding berry juice (blueberry, strawberry, etc.) to the grow will enhance the end result. Then I saw a YouTube video that said the same thing. Anyone with any experience that can verify this?

2. I've heard stories of people flushing with blueberry juice, etc, and end result being expected...

3. #3 Storm Crow, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
    Adding ANY sugary stuff will increase the number of friendly fungi in the soil. They break down the nutes, so the plants feed better.

Berry juice would also have a few nutrients for you plant to use, but you can get the same results (and more) by using dark or blackstrap molasses. And it will cost you less!

The berry flavor and smell will NOT be transferred to your plant, no matter how much you use. :(

Berry juice is acidic and too much could throw your plant into ph shock. (Check the hydro section about how touchy cannabis can be about ph!) :eek:

Now, get yourself over to the Organic Growing section, hon, and start reading the stickies! They will teach you to grow even better cannabis! :yay:

Granny :wave:

4. Thanks.... does it take on the color of the berries at all?

5. Nope! That is due to a pigment in the cells known as anthocyanin- the same thing that makes blueberries blue. The plants need the right genes to make it.

Plants sometimes produce it in response to being chilled and have this as a "hidden feature" that doesn't show until the plant is chilled. (The darker purple color soaks up sunlight's warmth faster.) Chilling will not make most plants go purple- they need the right genes to change color!

Other types are purple from the git-go! These varieties produce enough anthocyanin that not only are their stems and flowers purplish, some can actually "bleed" red sap! (A noobie once had one of his plants do this. He freaked out and was posting for help to "save his baby"! LOL)

Granny

6. #7 buddogmutt, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
    its normaly done during cure to hide a failed dry&cure.....properly grown and harvested bud wont need anything to mask/change flavor...that's one of the reasons why people grow the strains we do...affect and flavor....just chase every toke with a shot of welches juice if you want a fruity after taste....lol...

P.S...Botnicare has a line of flavor enhancers for growing marijuana....if you wanna do it, do it right!! not by mixing juice in your watering schedule...