Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Benefits of quitting weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jeffersong808, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I think you should read back what you just wrote and ask yourself who is stupid.

2. It all depends what you want to do. If you want to quit, quit. Personally my brain can't even process quitting. That would be like not being allowed to drink water or something. Oh my... That would suck!

3. What?

4. The benefits...are few...

*I guess you could "benefit" financially from not spending whatever you normally do on weed.

Cons: A lot of people in this situation "substitute" with alcohol, which can actually be a more expensive habit. Worse still - tobacco.

*You may benefit in terms of eating healthier and a little less?

Cons: None really. It's not like you'll starve yourself.

*Your body will benefit if you stop *smoking* weed.

Cons: But vaping weed can improve the condition of your body/lungs so if you vaped on the regular, you'd be losing that.
    Also the aforementioned substitution issue - Can harm your body in more ways than one.

*Employment that is not accessible while using marijuana, may be accessible.

Cons: Very subjective, and all to do with the persons life and how important things like employment and elements of their existing lifestyle are to them.

5. just dont sub something new for what you stopped doing, everytime i stopp i seem not to be able to stop drinking :/...

6. Whenever I take a tolerance break, I don't normally notice anything physically different. I'd say the benefits are that you'll have some more money since you wont be buying weed.

7. Nothing. Unless you count having trouble sleeping and eating a benefit. But Nah more Money, better job opportunities. That's about it. And maybe less paranoia

8. My bad I typed that out wrong. No need to call me stupid because I typed something wrong.

9. Not necessarily, I worded that incorrectly. Cannabis lowers your risk of Alzheimers and Cancer.

THC, along with other cannabinoids, destroy the excess and abnormal protein deposits in the brain which lead up to Alzheimers.

Those cannabinoids can also decrease the size of tumors by up to 50%, and furthermore, decimate cancerous cells in your body. The way it does this, in particular (without getting very technical), is by inducing a process known as autophagy. Autophagy is the process in which intracellular components undergo degradation via its lysosomal processes. In other words, the cancerous cells basically commit suicide by destroying themselves from the inside out.

Now that that is established, by discontinuing your use of cannabis, it does not put you in increased risk of contracting Cancer or Alzheimer's, however, it does make you more prone to them. Think of Cannabis like a force-field. When you stop medicating with Cannabis, that force-field is brought down. So you now you would be more likely to contract either of those diseases, however, technically it would not actually increase your level of risk.

10. [quote name='"thestonedstoner"']

Not necessarily, I worded that incorrectly. Cannabis lowers your risk of Alzheimers and Cancer.

THC, along with other cannabinoids, destroy the excess and abnormal protein deposits in the brain which lead up to Alzheimers.

Those cannabinoids can also decrease the size of tumors by up to 50%, and furthermore, decimate cancerous cells in your body. The way it does this, in particular (without getting very technical), is by inducing a process known as autophagy. Autophagy is the process in which intracellular components undergo degradation via its lysosomal processes. In other words, the cancerous cells basically commit suicide by destroying themselves from the inside out.

Now that that is established, by discontinuing your use of cannabis, it does not put you in increased risk of contracting Cancer or Alzheimer's, however, it does make you more prone to them. Think of Cannabis like a force-field. When you stop medicating with Cannabis, that force-field is brought down. So you now you would be more likely to contract either of those diseases, however, technically it would not actually increase your level of risk.[/quote]

How sure are you on this information? All 4 of my grandparents had Alzheimer's and I am a cancer survivor myself, if this is all accurate I feel like 25 times better about smoking weed....even though I already felt pretty damn good about it haha.

11. It's pretty accurate information, you can google it and check these studies out. Researchers say MJ can actually destroy cancer. There's also a famous stoner who had cancer and puffed most of it away....anyone?

Marijuana and Cancer Relationship - Marijuana Destroys Cancer Cells

12. [quote name='"ChaosSquirtle"']

It's pretty accurate information, you can google it and check these studies out. Researchers say MJ can actually destroy cancer. There's also a famous stoner who had cancer and puffed most of it away....anyone?

Marijuana and Cancer Relationship - Marijuana Destroys Cancer Cells[/quote]

Right on. Now I've got a valid excuse for smoking insane sums of weed. Its for a good cause haha.

13. I kind of understand the Alzheimer, but LUNG CANCER? I'm sorry but thats nonsense in my book. not smoking is always healthier than smoking.

And to the guy who mentioned terrence mckenna and bob marley:

Mr. Mckenna did a lot of other drugs besides weed. Plus those are two examples which prove nothing.

14. [quote name='"oldSCHOOL_toker"']

I kind of understand the Alzheimer, but LUNG CANCER? I'm sorry but thats nonsense in my book. not smoking is always healthier than smoking.

And to the guy who mentioned terrence mckenna and bob marley:

Mr. Mckenna did a lot of other drugs besides weed. Plus those are two examples which prove nothing.[/quote]

If anything I thought it'd boost Alzheimers, weed isn't exactly known for making people the best at remembering things.

15. True but thats only short term memory. Alzeimers is a full blown neurodegerative (cannabinoids promote neurogenesis!) condition were you don't recognize your family and forget how to go to the bathroom on your own.

16. #36 Storm Crow, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    Slater, you really need to educate yourself a bit more!

Alzheimer's? THC works better at preventing/slowing Alzheimer's according to WebmD-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

“THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.”

THC activates both the CB1 and CB2 receptors.

Can the benefits of cannabinoid receptor stimulation on neuroinflammation, neurogenesis and memory during normal aging be useful in AD prevention? (full – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Can the benefits of cannabinoid receptor stimulation on neuroinflammation, neurogenesis and memory during normal aging be useful in AD prevention?

[/FONT]
    Prolonged oral Cannabinoid Administration prevents Neuroinflammation, lowers beta-amyloid Levels and improves Cognitive Performance in Tg APP 2576 Mice.
    (full – 2012) http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/pdf/1742-2094-9-8.pdf

Protective effect of cannabinoid CB1 receptor activation against altered intrinsic repetitive firing properties induced by Aβ neurotoxicity. (abst – 2012) Protective effect of cannabinoid CB1 receptor ... [Neurosci Lett. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Activation of the CB(2) receptor system reverses amyloid-induced memory deficiency.
    [FONT=&quot](abst – 2012) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activation of the CB(2) receptor system reve... [Neurobiol Aging. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Or more simply-

[/FONT] Marijuana could prevent Alzheimer's (news - 2010)
    http://www.thelantern.com/mobile/2.1345/marijuana-could-prevent-alzheimer-s-1.72932

Now with breast cancer, CBD is the star player-

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006) Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in breast cancer cells by coordinating the crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in... [Mol Cancer Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid receptor agonists inhibit growth and metastasis of breast cancer
    (abst - 2008)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/2008/1_Annual_Meeting/4081?maxtoshow=&hits=80&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=cannabinoid&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=480&resourcetype=HWCIT

Inhibition of Breast Cancer Aggressiveness by Cannabidiol (abst - 2008)
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Research Page: Inhibition of Breast Cancer Aggressiveness by Cannabidiol[/FONT]9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer through Cdc2 Regulation (full - 2006) ÃŽ”9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer Cells through Cdc2 Regulation

Lung cancer? - surely the lungs would be the first place to get cancer! Admittdly, smoking is not as healthy as vaporizing, but Tashkin's study showed that cannabis users had a slightly lower rate of lung cancer than non-smokers, and WAY lower than tobacco only smokers! The cannabinoid's protective effects overcame the bad effects of the smoke!

Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study (full - 2006) http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.full

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007)
    {Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. -- Preet et al. 2007 (1): 4749 -- AACR Meeting Abstracts

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows[/FONT]

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American

Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer (news - 2007)
    Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer | Ars Technica

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. (abst – 2008) Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial gro... [Oncogene. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may contribute to the anti-invasive action of cannabidiol on human lung cancer cells. (abst - 2010) Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may ... [Pharm Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion via upregulation of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-1. (abst - 2010) Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion ... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Do you need more? Just click that first link in my sig and start reading! Or if you don't find that to be enough, send me an email (see the bottom of my sig, and I will send you my 2012 List with 7 pages of links on Alzheimer's, and another 40 on various types of cancer!

Granny :wave:

17. I came late to the party, but yeah once again, Granny covered everything. All of the things I said in my post was drawn from studies found in Granny's list. :)

Also, when you have a plethora of Cancerous legions (such as when the cancer spreads to the lymph nodes), smoking, even vaping just isn't enough. When it comes to prevention, or even in it's early stages smoking/vaping might cut it. To fight cancer, if you choose to solely use cannabis as a treatment plan, you'll need something containing very high concentrations of THC and other cannabinoids. What I'm referring to is Canna-oil, or hemp oil. If you've ever seen Rick Simpson's "Run From the Cure," you know what I'm talking about. If you don't look it up-- I'm not here to do research for you. You should consider actually wanting to learn the specifics about what I mentioned. If you don't want to learn, I don't care, stay ignorant.

18. for me the benefits would be saving money, not having to worry about legal trouble, not having to buy from shady people/worry about getting ripped off, having more energy, better health from not smoking, more time to do things, and i'd probably have better focus. but smoking weed is probably my favorite thing to do and it makes life more exciting i think.

but if you want to stay sober then i suggest exercising and doing other stuff to keep your mind off smoking, and after a few weeks of keeping clean you wont have any urge to smoke anymore.

19. [quote name='"Slater 420"']You'll be healthier, anyone who truly believes that weed prevents cancer/Alzheimer is stupid, inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for you

I wanted to join the army so i quit bud and trained for 10 months, in the end i changed my mind but throughout that time it was the best my body has ever felt[/quote]

Do you still believe this after reading granny's links? :p