Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Benefits of Quitting/Breaks

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by lightoneup, Nov 20, 2012.

1. I've thoroughly researched the pros and cons of quitting mj, as I feel I have hindered my abilities by a clouded mind. I have been smoking for over 18 months, and never have taken more than a week break.

Specifically for me, even after just a few days, I've noticed: a slightly clearer head; faster thought processing; ability to recall and utilize recent memories; faster pattern recognition(?); and a substantial increase in energy and drive.

As for the cons, I've noticed: constantly thinking about how relaxing it would be to sab, smoke a bowl; stoner friends like to 'tempt' me with juicy pictures of bud and long talks about how baked they were some night ago; and in the back of my head I constantly question the overall pros wondering if it really is even worth it.

While these pros and cons may be different for everyone, I feel like my studies would improve with the clearer, rational mind, but while my depression has subsided, perhaps in the future I would actually have to embrace the hardships without a universal and extremely useful tool.

Regardless, I have come to the conclusion that smoking everyday a few hours before bed has began to hold me back. I do not blame mj with this dilemma, merely, it is my own problem in letting mj become something of a chore and not a thought-provoking experience I wish to occasional explore.

I have decided to take a break for a while. See if I can in fact benefit from this, and perhaps learn how to reintroduce mj into my life when I am ready to be more accountable. As well as regroup my finances to a place where spending $60 a month is reasonable, which I realize for some people is what they spend in a week or a couple of days; I see no point in smoking bowl after bowl. I smoke highly crafted bud, where a pinch gets me to the place I need to go. Unless of course I'm with a group of friends, then it's j after j.

If anyone has any real facts, or input into this let me know.

2. 100% agree with you, I notice the same things when I take breaks. I still wouldn't take a break unless it was economically necessary though. I'm not sending rocket ships to the moon, my higher functions aren't necessary at any of the shitty jobs I've worked and I write some interesting lyrics when I'm high.

3. Do what you have to do bro. I have smoked for many years its never had a negative impact on me so i just continued.

4. I get the same way, it's much easier for me to focus and my brain functions and recalls a million times better after even just a week off after a long period of daily smoking.

It started to hold me back as my GPA dropped from 3.9 to 3.7 so I cut back to once or twice a week just on weekends now, definitely was a good call.

I find it's hard to smoke daily and function fully in a academic environment even if you're doing all your academic stuff sober. Your brain is constantly in a haze, something people who have been smoking daily for a long time stop noticing after awhile.

That's why you have so many people saying "I smoke daily and do great in school blah blah", they don't realize that they can't access their full potential while doing so, and while some are smart enough that they still get good marks they could definitely be getting better marks if they weren't smoking as often.

People can say weed is completely harmless all they want, but consistent regular use does take it's toll on EVERYONE over time, although that toll is obviously reversible. It's just more noticeable in some (oddly enough generally more intelligent people), than in others.

5. It's just the opposite for me. I can recall things I haven't thought about it years, I can concentrate way harder on things, all much better while up up