Beneficial Insects

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by seaf0ur, Jan 16, 2014.

1. That's immediately what I looked for when I saw them, I expected to see them milking one. But, no, did not see anything.

2. Some people go out and buy praying mantis and ladybugs for thier plants.

3. #43 waktoo, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

Dude, I really hope you'll keep up with the development of their work.  I've never seen ants do that ON A LEAF.  I'm SO interested to find out what they're doing...

Have you spent any amount of time watching them, to see where they're going in between gathering material and "building"?

4. No, I've just gone to check on them periodically. This weekend I should spend a good amount of time in my garden so i'll make sure to dedicate some of it to watching them. Maybe i'll try and get some time-lapse footage of them.

5. I know the logs I have all around the bed (and even under) have ants, and there seem to be a healthy variety of them moving around.

6. While I appreciate all members of the soil food web, sometimes they become a nuisance, especially when they start to destroy plants (or farm aphids!). Have those big fuckers been any sort of problem in the past?

7. And....

Twas Ever Thus!

8. Bump! This thread should be pinned. :D

TJ

9. Sticky, pinned, whatever they need to do!! Great thread C4!! This Mantis was sitting on the front coil of an old chevy p/u. Brought it inside to the veg room. Think it's a gal, but not sure. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410879191.406436.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410879343.772370.jpg

10. Fantastic thread this seaf0ur

11. To follow up on this: they were farming aphids, lol, just like everybody said. What it looked like they were building was just the wings of some weird aphid. :bolt:

12. Hey all!

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for spider mite control. I'm in CO and I struggle to keep the humidity 30-50% in my rooms. My temps are usually 77-82f in the day and 67-72f at night. I've been keeping up on my ipm sprays, but I'm at week 3 flower and I still see a few mites here and there. I was hoping to throw some predators in to keep the spider mites in check for the rest of the cycle. I had considered Amblyseius fallacis, but wanted to choose wisely with the prices and timing. I'm looking at Evergreen supply to order from.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
    P-

13. #53 waktoo, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Not sure what your IPM consists of, but essential oils of rosemary/spike lavender work really well on the mites.  They both degrade rather quickly, so using them during the flowering phase should not be a problem, especially in Colorado.  Considering possible mold issues from spraying developed flowers and flavor carry over from the oils, of course...

I live in the mountains outside the Durango area.  It's dry here too.  I've found that utilizing some sort of SIP system helps immensely with keeping RH levels from dropping too low, especially when faced with higher grow room temps that keep the exhaust fan running more than you'd like it to.

Didn't you ask a question about how to keep grow room humidity levels up in dry environments in some other thread? 

HTH

Thanks Waktoo, I use all the usual suspects for ipm. I don't really want to spray my plants with any botanicals at this point. I would much rather use some predators.

Again, I'd love anyone's experience with predators, especially in dryer climates.

Many thanks!
    P-

15. Just caught four Ladybugs (apparently it is their season here) and I threw them in the tent for my four plants (early flower stage).

I would like to know if I can keep the yellow and blue traps in the tent as well, I took them out, but will put them back as a second defence if possible.

I am excited about watching their behaviour and hope they help keep things clean.

Keep on learning, keep on growing.

16. I would get rid of the yellow traps regardless of the ladybugs. There can be some nasty chemicals in the glue.

17. ^^Thank you!

18. Great thread, helped me identify an aphid wolf crawling on my plant today. So glad I didn't kill the little guy!

19. I used Amblyseius cucumeris when I had a thrips infestation and one application completely eradicated the problem. I believe they also feed on spider mites too so could be worth a go.

I hoped that they would keep the numbers under control but they totally cleaned up. I had thrips for over a year and tried a few sprays and other mites but nothing made any real difference

I have been thrips free for months now

20. high everyone😊
    my name is raevin and I
    hope yoy can help me identify this armored
    critter and it's green
    friend

Attached Files: