bending plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chemists, May 14, 2011.

1. I see pictures sometimes and the main stalk it like a tree trunk...that just come with time ?a stalk like that could support well

2. Ya lots of rootspace and Age will make a big trunk, so with all the bending you wont create an issue, it will support itself.

3. Im still curious how much I should bend it. Theyre both growing under CFLs until theyre transplanted outside and there getting longer by the day. There has to be a limit to how far horizontally they can grow until they wont be able to support themselves ( yes i can upport them myself but Id rather them do it on their own). Is there any technique i should be using to maximize the plant? All i can seem to find is plants that have been bend for a certian time and then end up growing up straight anyways.

4. If you keep them down during the whole process, even if they are lying on a flat surface, they should be allright.
    They will stand on this surface (a plank for example) so why would they break?
    Maybe you should have them spiraling?

TBITH

5. Yes, eventually im going to spiral them ( if you see the pictures above there just flat horizontal i was gonna let them grow another few inches horizontally and then wrap them ( still horizontally) off to an angle. I just figured that if you had the plant growing like 4 feet horizontally that would be a lot of stress and could break it somewhere along the vine. Ive never done this before so I have no diea what the constraints are though so

6. #26 Rello, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    I Just wrap mine around the pot, usualy takes about four bends, then by this time im bending the branches youv created by exposing them to light from the bending. After you have gone in a circle around your pot, it is usualy time to transplant them, take the ties off, it will support itself fine, now once transplanted i keep tieing in a circle around my box or pot. I never have issue with plant breaking while budding. I only do this to maximize Yield, so if you dont care about yield and are scared your plant will break, just leave it the way it is now, untie it, and let it do its thing, this is fine as well. Ive done this many many times, and before they even flower, the lower branches i bent are bigger then a broomstick, and the main trunk is about the size of a baseball bat or more usualy...

7. Most people will say just do a few tie downs to get it growing nice, I usualy do over a hundered tie downs, almost every branch up until they start to flower, by this time the tieing down does nothing, and I sometimes remove all tiedowns. Bending can be done from seedling- End of vegging, as soon as they start flowering you stop.

8. #28 Ccoastal, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    For a small space I would go with square planters, no wasted space, it's all for roots. Yeah u have to 'fight' it to keep growing sideways, just add some more ties headed the way u want it to, u can spiral it upward like a spring if u have to or in a flat spiral like a snail shell, I usually bend it out around the rim of my container till it gets all the way around then let the cola go straight and flower

9. thanks for all the help guys, especially Rello... i like the idea of spiraling like a snail shell though ill do that... but why tie down the branches that come out instead of just the main stal?

10. my plants look like that bent over will they still grow good like that or is it best to steak them up

11. #31 Rello, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    I Lack in explaining stuff fully lol But the reason you tie down anything is because its exposing the sun to an area that normaly dont get sun, Usualy a sativa has a big bud on top running in middle, and little buds on bottom and all over, same with some indicas. I know that usualy the main stem is A huge cola on plants because it had light from beginning,and the bottom branches dont get much light, now by human intervention you are moving the plant around and exposing areas to light(that would normaly get none, and turn out to be tiny crappy bottom buds)
    The key to success is doing this juring vegging stage. If you tie it down from seedling, and expose the nodes(where the growth comes out at the set of leaves) that growth grows to the same size as your main stem within a few weeks, depening on how your light is situated, most of these "Bud Sites" or Branches you have created so young, will be bigger then your main stem. This is why i start tieing my branches down, they get in the way for more baby branches lol And it goes on and on the reasons as to why I know its good. Those branches you tie down now get Light, and if your lucky will grow their own branches out of them(this is another big bud) before they start flowering. If you can do all this right till they start flowering you will have numerous branches that would not happen, had you not tied it down.... except for a few crazy indica varieties, they bush out like crazy on their own, but i still tie those babies down, that makes for lots o Buds, lol