bench and deadlift

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by StlllBlazin, May 3, 2011.

1. jw for an inshape male who goes to the gym a few times a week what % of your bodyweight would you say is average to bench and deadlife

2. Your own weight at least?

3. #3 StickyIckyRicky, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
    Deadlift Standards

Depends on your bodyweight and exercise level. I'm 180 and lift pretty much every day (so I'd put myself somewhere in between intermediate and advanced), and my deadlift 1RM is 420. that falls in between the strength standard for someone of intermediate strength in my weight class (315, piece of cake) and of advanced strength (438, not so easy).

elite is there, but between 1-2% of all lifters ever end up in that range.

In short, generally in the range of 200% if you're a beginner.

Deadlift and bench are two very different exercises with two very different strength standards though.

4. im 150 lbs, i bench 235 and i deadlift 350, which i think is pretty average

5. im a little confused by that link, since most people have a 400+ deadlift after completing starting strength, a beginner program

6. It's by bodyweight, so it really depends. if you're 125lbs and a beginner, lifting 400lbs shouldn't be anything close to a cinch. if you're 300lbs and a beginner, you should be nearer to 400lbs than the guy who is 125lbs.

Also, no, not at all. Most intermediate to advanced lifters can lift between 300 and 400lbs. That's the large portion of the Bell curve, so to speak.

Mark Rippetoe is certainly a very qualified lifter, but your statement is false. I certainly disagree with blanket statements like "after __ years of lifting any Average Joe should be able to bench 300 and deadlift 500" because it doesn't take anything of merit into account, like nutrition, caloric intake, lifting frequency, lifting intensity, et al.

7. i weigh 85KG, 6 foot, bench 70Kg and deadlift 145KG. training for like 2 years.

8. Pretty solid. For 6' you should be able to pack on some more mass than that (I'm 5'10" and a couple LBs more than you) but you're doing well.

9. I don't think there's any kind of standards. When I first started I could only bench something like 75 lbs 5x5 and I had been doing a lot of labor and heavy lifting for awhile at that time. Some people are just naturally weaker than others.

10. yea, I don't think that's average, unless you're like 5'2

11. It's really no relation to your weight if your just starting out, just find out youre one rep max (with a spotter) and go from there. Personally I do 3 sets of 6 of 80% of my one rep max.

12. doing body weight bench press and 2x your weight for deadlift are regular.

strong is 1.5x weight for bench and 3x body weight dead lift

13. Throw on a little weight on the bar and work your way up until you find a good balance.

14. benching and deadlifting are very genetically dependent in short you can work your ass off your whole life and your either blessed with the genetics to be good at them or your not. Granted anyone can improve dramatically and get much stronger but you won't find any 7 feet tall powerlifters setting bench records

15. I weigh 130 (Fuck off I'm, 5'3) And I bench 155, squat 225 and deadlift 225-250 on a good day! Been working out for a year. Honestly once you learn proper technique and diet your numbers can skyrocket in pretty short periods of time. :)

16. Derek poundstone is 6'1 and has a shit load of powerlifting records.

17. yep i know who he is the majority of great bench pressers are short it's not my imagination its a fact, also derek is more of strongman competitor than a powerlifter

most of the superheavy weight powerlifters are under 6' , and if you go down to the 114 lb. class many are 4'11" etc.

18. I just got to double my bodyweight

19. With benchpress

20. #20 bob barker, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011