Beliving in God but consciously not believing?

Discussion in 'General' started by budhungry, May 19, 2011.

1. Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. Since that's not what I said at all.

I understand that god can be literally anything. I could take everything that I listed above and say that that is god. I could say that nature is god. The universe is god, etc.

That's just not how I personally interpret it.

2. OP, you're not an atheist! :laughing: Atheists don't periodically "forget" that they don't believe in God! Believe it: You have been indoctrinated (probably subconsciously/subliminally) into being an Atheist.

3. Its fear yo.. When your raised as a christian you naturally think things like "Oh God" or "God please help me" when your scared becauae thats what your used to.. Im an athiest but still say things that have to do with god and jesus but i dont believe in them at all

4. #24 Mr.Burnsalot, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    I was raised hardcore catholic but that stopped around 9 when I found out Santa wasn't real. Until like 15 I still in my mind wasn't sure but now at 19 I have 0 belief in any of it. If I die and go to hell I'll see just about everyone there with me.

The reason people will still believe in the back of their mind even when they say they don't believe is fear. They are afraid of not believing just incase. once you eliminate fear from your diet you should be all set.

5. Jesus right now I wish I could have that attitude.

6. The same could easily be said about believing in god. Most, in fact I'll go out on a limb and say all religious people I know are religious because...their parents are and that was the way they were raised, and they don't give a shit and never think too deeply into it, so they just say they are a Christian, because that's what they have always known.

My Grandparents were deeply religious (Irish) so therefore my mother identifies herself as a Christian, although she doesn't have a fucking clue about any of it, and I'm sure if she was feeling philosophical she would revert to atheism. I'm not atheist because my friends are, or because I'm a sheep, that's simply ridiculous to even suggest, I went to a Christian school, was raised by my mother who identifies herself as a Christian (although never forced anything down my throat, thank god :rolleyes:) and I've done enough thinking, reading and self introspection to clearly identify myself as an atheist.

7. Perfect candidate for atheism.. look into deism.

8. No not all religious people's parents are religious too. Be honest for a second will ya?

Obviously not all atheists are just blindly calling themselves atheist but atheism is becoming more popular, and as we all know the more popular something is the more likely that the people who tend to not think everything through themselves will jump on the bandwagon of said popular thing/belief/opinion etc

9. #30 Echoes of Floyd, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    There's many many many threads on this in the spirituality section

But God is SUCH a misused word by many.

If you see God as a man, probably with a flowing white beard and robe. Living up in heaven. And judges those who do and do not even the gates of heaven. Then so be it, but I see God as something completely different. Coming from me and my experiences. Rather than a book, or seeking.

Start getting into your spirit. Getting into meditation. You will find God there. Not out in space or heaven. But right inside of you.

10. True, and I never said that, was just talking from personal experience. And yes, Atheism is getting more and more popular as times go on, coincidence?

11. No. IMO it has everything to do with this technologically advanced society that we live in.

12. I believe in oneness

Whether you want to think that is a god or not that is up to you.

And when i say "oneness" im referring to the fact we are all one, and no matter what we cant get away from that, yet when we are alive our consciousness blocks this, hence once you pass you circum to the entity you always have been but just didnt know it

13. I always liked eastern religions.:p And yes, I do agree to an extent, not so much that we are all one, but that we are all connected to make up one if that makes sense.

14. So basically you don't want to believe in God consciously, you want to follow the trend, but you recognize that there is a power in the Universe that is not blind and you call out to it in need, but want to be the big man who walks alone any other time?

15. I liked this post but it wasn't enough. There needs to be an option to put how much you like a post (ie like x2, like x3). For the record, like x infinity :)

16. Haha dude i'm not a full on Athiest i just used that word for not having any spiritual side.

17. You're agnostic. Just don't think about god at all. If people ask you what you are just say "I dunno (agnostic)".

18. Ah thanks man.

19. a couple years ago i lost my religion, i could never follow any other organized/nonorganized religion again. how could you believe in god subconsciously? maybe if you were violently brainwashed when you were a child.