Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Belgium Set for Prescription Cannabis

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Superjoint, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Source: Expatica.com

Brussels – The Belgian government said Wednesday it would have no objection to following the Dutch move this week to make cannabis available from pharmacies on prescription. Minister for Health Rudy Demotte confirmed Belgium could be the next European country to legalise the sale of cannabis in pharmacies.
    “This is an area where public health must prevail and research has shown that cannabis can be of medicinal use,” a Health Ministry statement said.

Studies have shown cannabis derivatives to be effective in the treatment of the secondary effects of chemotherapy, anorexia, epilepsy and depression.

Research is currently being carried out in several Belgian universities to prove the medical benefits of cannabis before the substance could be given to patients in this country.

British pharmaceutical company GW Pharmaceuticals has already applied to the EU for its cannabis-based sublingual spray to receive accreditation, at which time the product would be sold in all member states.

Source: Expatica.com (Brussels)
    Published: September 4, 2003
    Copyright: 2003 Expatica News

Related Articles & Web Site:

GW Pharmaceuticals
    http://www.gwpharm.com/

2. i really do hope that this is one of those "I'm Sparticus!" moments.
    I hope all European nations join up and follow Holland and Belgium's lead.

...but if you read carefully you'll realise they havn't said they WILL legalise medicianl use, politicians can be crafty like that. still, i shouldnt cloud over this very possitive step in freeing the weed. its a sure sign that progress is being made.