Being an introvert living in an extroverts world...

Discussion in 'General' started by Anaru, Oct 22, 2009.

1. oh my god, me too. everything you said is so me. except for the girls, i am a girl, and i have had bfs.. but for me theres always just a few people that i relate to on a different level, and i can just talk forerver and i dont even think about what to say.

2. ^^ we're all the same way haha

I've had one girlfriend that i met through a friends cousin. Only girl friend I've ever had and the other girl that I've gotten with I don't even know there names to be honest. I'm just bad at starting relationships all together.

3. I feel the same way. The last job I had, as well as the new job I start next month are both sales based roles where its important to be extroverted. However I consider myself quite an introverted person in my personal life.

4. #84 umop 3pisdn, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
    I think it sucks being an introvert. I'm always questioning myself in what I do and how I think because it isn't seen as socially normal. I don't mind going out to big social gatherings but most of the time I do prefer to stay in by myself or with a couple of friends. Because of this I feel like an outcast and like there is something wrong with me which makes me question myself even further.

I find it hard to make friends because a lot of people just don't get me or understand where I'm coming from when I say things. I know what is required to be socially accepted, but it's putting it into play when I'm in a social situation that I fail. I also find it hard to meet/talk to girls at clubs or bars because it seems they all go after the more outgoing extrovert type of guys. They see me as having no confidence but really it's just I don't talk unless I have something relevant to say.

When I'm in a situation where it's one on one I find I can get along with people quite well and most of the time people open up, but as soon as I hit the "scene" all goes down hill and I go quiet. I feel as though people won't like me unless I can have a more or less "in depth" convo with them, so as soon as the partying, drinking and loud music comes into play I don't talk much and people see me as a bore.

Edit: And another thing, when I meet people they get the impression I don't like them because I tend to not get all excited and talkative. Sometimes they even think I'm a rude person and in turn will treat me the same way. I could go on for hours in this thread and over-analyzing everything and how I think.. but I hope you all know where I'm coming from.

With all this said, I still think there's hope for me. I'm becoming more comfortable with who I am with every day that passes, I just wish others would as well.

5. that is excatly how my life is...like the alll the way i get ya,i could just never explain it good.

6. Some real talk right there. Like I can relate to everything you said, but maybe not as intesnsely as you described, bt still the same shit mang.

I dont know where I heard it , but it was some qoute "I think I think too much". And that statement just hit me, like that quotr summed up my mental processes and like adaptability to social situation. Just told me I needed to chill and try to relax in social situations, just kind of go with the flow and try to add something when you can.

Personally I don't really think when I talk to people, I just let them talk and try to add a comment here and there or ask a relavent question. I've only been trying this recently and its been working, Ive been becomgin more comfortable. Dont think, just live in the moment. GO with it, y not??

Having a optimistic outlook everyday, no matter what you're gonna do helps allot too, for me anywyas.

7. ^^^ This is great advice, living in the moment and not thinking ahead or too much
    is a great strategy for becoming a lot less introverted.

i personally find that meditation(not ritual meditation) just clearing your mind completely,
    can really help with the busy busy mind that wont stop thinking all the time

u guys should try it

Slightly off topic, but, has anyone ever been in an introverted x introverted relationship??
    where you both share the same sort of behaviors? what is it like?

we've probably all been in introverted x extroverted relationships, where your kinda trying to offset some of your negative social behaviors by blending with an extrovert, so i kno about those, but.. anybody ever been?

are they better than intro extro relationships?

sorry for the fuckin essay..:eek:

8. I know what you're saying and I've been through it all hundreds of times in my head. Although I may seem like it, I'm not a depressed person. My main problem in life is my social life and that sometimes gets me down. Everyone is different and I think I'm a likeable guy, but you have to get to know me, and very few people give me that chance for reasons I said above.

I'm only 19 though, so hopefully when I get out of this shitty age bracket people will take more kindly to me and the way I am.

9. this lady i've been talking to recently seems really introverted, so maybe i'll let you know :cool:

but yeah dude, meditation rules, it's so funny, it's like the most effective solution to my constantly moving brain but i can never find the time to stop thinking and start meditating.

i think being introverted is great.. i mean i couldn't imagine being extroverted. i have my moments when i'm more extroverted than introverted, but were i not so introverted i might not like weed as much or for the same reasons and i like to think all that thinking is like brain exercise :D

i'm working on this balance of both but i'm still pretty introverted.

10. yea meditation seems to be the best solution, forreal, cuts out all the chatter, haha;)

good luck on finding that balance, we all are

and update us on that introverted relationship sometime:cool:

11. loving the thread...

sometimes i think stupidity is a gift and intelligence is a curse, people should have a big 'E' or 'I' on their forehead imo

12. am I a poser if I enjoy yapping when I am high on sativas [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. I have no friends right now except for like 2 dudes, one of which is obsessed with his girlfriend and won't even talk to me when she's around and another who's pretty damn annoying. I don't know what to do with my life. there seems like nothings there worth living for. I mean I have absolutely nothing to look forward too and I also have no weed right no which usually makes me forget.

14. lol im the same way man...

15. Yes oh my god yes. I just don't understand the point of it, it's just bull shit coming out of your mouth.

16. #96 Turtle, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
    I apologize, but I laughed out loud.

But anyways, the bible has been translated before. And I would love to know where this proof is.

17. I'm an introvert and I get that all the time. People are always like "you should talk more" and it pisses me off. I just like to chill and do my thing and talk to certain people. Humans are generally social beings and alot of the time introverts and extraverts just can't connect.

18. #98 xaviere, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
    It's totally cheesy, but I'd recommend picking up Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." It's full of GEMS how to start conversations, and how to keep them going, and make people love you (hint: find out what kinds of things they LOVE, their current "passion," and ask them some questions about that). They will love you, and think you're a brilliant conversationalist.

For me, as an introvert, it's been invaluable. Of course, you could always argue that due to the fact I'm female there's even more pressure from our society to "be social" and "be friendly" and "have people like me." But that book really helped me.

I have also found that, as I get older, it's easier to find introverted people (like at parties), and chill with them. It's awesome. It's like a radar/sixth sense I've developed (just look at people's body language, etc. I also find people outside when I step out for a smoke).

You know how awesome it is to find another introvert at a party? You meet each other, dispense with all the social niceties and bullshit ("small talk"), and plunge into a complex discussion of some common interest--ideas are king here. Also, my husband is even more introverted than I am. It's really nice to have introverts in my universe.

So honestly, while I definitely enjoy and love my extroverted friends, I have a special place in my heart for fellow introverts. While my extroverted friends know that "that's how she is," and love me for it.

19. one day us introverts should all come together and.... think!!!! lmfaoo

20. LOL!!! :hello: