Being a Truck Driver?

Discussion in 'General' started by NotRealyNotHere, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Anyone know the requirements? If you ask me it seems like a sick job that I might look into. Think about it you live on the road with free stay out hotels + free meals. Your away from home 1-2 months at a time so you can just turn off your utilities. on top of all that you get to travel the entire country for FREE! It seems pretty sick to me. Anyone have any experience with this field?

2. i dont think all that stuff would be free :confused:

3. Yeah if your drive for a company they provide everything as far as I know.

4. depends on the company. I deal w/ truck drivers all day @ my work.

it seems like it would be a chill job. But most drivers that come here get paid per delivery, and some days are slower than others. But i heard you make good money :D

i'd go for it man. Couldn't tell you the requirements though. There's a lot of dumb drivers so i know intelligence isn't a must haha. I'm sure you could be a truck driver w/ no problem

5. Sounds cool apart from long nights, adjusting sleep patterns not seeing friends for ages, not being able to smoke weed as much. etc.

I don't know. I guess you will just have to find out. Plus i believe you need to get a different driving license.

6. I hope your joking not smoke weed as much lol? My uncle is a truck driver and he loves it he can smoke weed all day everyday while driving around haha.

7. I think you have to get a special licence for driving a truck.

It would be the greatest job ever though, driving around America and meeting new people everyday.

8. First off, youd live in your truck and you have to pay for your own food. You CANNOT smoke weed or do any other drugs, no drinking really. And theres no excuses, you HAVE to make your deliveries on time. As for the amount of time youre OTR, it depends on the company really. You could get live every other weekend home, to 4-6 months out on the road. It just depends on where youre routed to. Ive thought about getting into it, but its not exactly something you can do if you have family and all that shit.

9. Yeah you have to get another license. I'm looking into truck driving too.
    Ever since I was a little boy. ;D

10. See I wouldn't smoke and drive because I wouldn't trust myself. Or I would just drive to slow and not make any cash. LOL :smoke:

11. why not just become a taxi driver

12. I feel like your legs with atrophe after a while. :(

13. Truck drivers are constantly drug tested.

My dad is one and he gets tested all the time.

Even if you get into an accident with your OWN vehicle, no matter whos fault you are getting tested.

14. I bet the truck drivers up in the yukon territory make a killing for only working part of a year

15. driving all day every day

no thanks

16. Ok, I drove over the road(OTR) for 7 months with Arrow Trucking. This job is not for everybody with a license it sucks imo. You live in your truck and it is very rare that you are able to get a hotel hell, I broke down in rural Washington and the company would not get me a hotel I had to sleep in a frozen cab(January). The Tractor I was issued total POS with constant breakdowns and other miscellaneous BS going wrong. Now in no way any meals are ever free you can forget about that shit and "road food" is very expensive I remember in Northern New Mexico a #1 from McDonalds cost me almost $8 so buy at walmart and fill your fridge. Oh and your fridge, cb, and all other tools you need depending on what type of trucking you do, the cost comes out of your pocket I estimated it cost me $700 to get all tools and supplies I needed(Flatbed trucking). Now as far as home time goes you have to request to go home on average the company wants you to stay out a minimum of 21 days and it's a bitch getting home. I was out with my wife one time and we found out she was pregnant in upstate New York, my driver manager told me it would be a week or better before I could take her home... so take heed.... But the 1 thing I can say I liked was seeing the country. It is Beautiful out there and I saw alot of it and all I had to do was drive 10 hours a day everyday lol....there is no weekend on the road. Shit, and I spent my anniversary at a truckstop in Ohio because dispatch could'nt find me a load coming out west to get me home...So take heed it's not for everybody especially for the family man....:wave:

17. No, You get tested if your in a Commercial vehicle at the time of the accident.

18. You don't really travel the country by being a trucker. You get to see the view from thousands of miles of highway day after day, how fun...

19. Once you get a CDL in America you are required to take random drugs test at the states discrestion. So if your will to stop smoking weed for the rest of your career then go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend being a truck driver.

20. Ive had a CDL for 7 years in 3 different states, never been drug tested by any of them....and the DOT(Federal) controls all Commercial driving operations nothing to do with a state..gotta get the facts straight before posting:rolleyes: