Behold: The most difficult math problem in existence

Discussion in 'General' started by Heavenly Scythe, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Straight from my math book :devious:

PROBLEM STATEMENT

There are three students in a class. There are also three blue hats and two red hats. The class teacher puts a hat on each of the three students.
    The students are then invited to open their eyes and, from the information they gather from looking at the other two students, do one of two things:
    1. Say what hat they themselves are wearing, or
    2. (Because they don't know what hat they are wearing) skip their turn, allowing the other students who haven't looked yet to have their turns. Each of the three students is only allowed one turn.
    Two of the three students skip their turns. The third student says what hat that he/she is wearing without looking at the other two students.

The question is: How did the third student come to the correct conclusion that they came to?

2. it says nothing about what happend to the hats not being worn....so theoretically he could have seen all of them already knowing there were only 2red hats and 3blue ones

3. He just guessed. :D

[​IMG]

4. i came in, knocked em all out, and jacked all the hats.....

what? they were nice fitted hats! lol

5. Damn Wykid, you just came out of no where. Where have you been?

:hello:eric:hello:

6. he's wearing blue. because he can see that the other two people have red hats on.

7. oh wait nevermind.

8. okay i got it now.

the first person opens their eyes and see's the other two are wearing different hats (one blue, one red) therefore he doesn't know.
    second person does the same. opens eyes and sees one blue and one red.
    the third person therefore knows that he has blue on. because there isn't three red hats.

edit: actually i have no idea.

9. But what if they all had blue on?

10. Wouldn't you see the brim of the hat your wearing.....

Or is that too simple....

Could also be the fact he realized the others passed because they could not know what hat they are wearing because they see a red hat on one of the other students and a blue hat on the other student.

From that outcome the third student can deduce he must have on the red hat (because the others passed).

Thats the only way it would work (if students 1 & 2 have blue hats)

You follow me...

EDIT::

Now what do I win haha

11. then my answer would still be correct.

but i can't really figure it out.

12. But what if student 3 had red and the first two had blue. They would have each seen two diff. colors and passed.

13. damn just tell us already i wanna know... haha

14. well i cant figure it out, so im gonna give you another riddle. its stupid and easy, or is it???????

a man leaves home and goes on a run, he runs a little and rounds a corner to his left, runs again and rounds another corner on his left , he runs one more time and rounds another corner. when he gets back he sees 2 masked men. what is the man doing?

15. I figured it out but just got up from a nap and can't find the words to explain it, so I'll let teh internetz do it for me: SPOILER!! SPOILER!! SPOILER!!

16. baseball

17. Catcher and the ump. :D I run this riddle game mothafuckaasss.

18. playing baseball

19. too bad I got it first

20. Yea man, I got the other one first too.