Beginning stages of an attic grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stealth45, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Whats up everyone, just want to say that this seems like a great community with lots of good information floating around. A quick thanks to Don Piano for all the great info on CGE's, really got me thinking about doing it that way.

A few details:
    I am in the so cal area, pretty mild temperatures throughout the year, highs in the 80's and low's in the 50's during winter.
    It will be in an attic, there is only a 2x2 hole for access, this should make it a little bit of a challenge but not insurmountable on my part. I would like my grow area to be ~4' x 8' and from 5 to 6 ft. high depending on how much i need to insulate the top and bottom. I was thinking 2 600W HPS's.

The systems I am considering:
    1. (This is what I was considering before the CGE, I'm wondering if it's feasable) A simple push/pull with a 3" intake and 7" exhaust run through a carbon filter. No AC/dehumid/or CO2. I am told that if I ran this with some Adjust-A-Wing Reflectors I could save myself some hassle with the ducting and just keep nice clean fresh air circulating throughout the whole enclosure.
    2. A CGE in my box, with AC, Dehumid, and CO2, would the additional set-up costs be worth it? I would have to use different reflectors to allow me to connect them to some air cooling I'm assuming... Would it be practical to install a window AC in my box? I can find them much cheaper than portable AC's and they seem to cool better. The back would be in my attic, would this create a heat problem? I wouldn't mind collecting the run-off in a container and periodically emptying it. How do you deal with the smell in a CGE? is it sufficient to filter the air running through the lights?
    3. Is it worth looking into a tent? how good are they at containing the odor? that is my main concern... I am not completely retarded when it comes to carpentry and I think I cold build a pretty secure box on my own, but if a tent would be much easier then I would like to explore that.

Some questions that have been floating around in my mind:
    Is it best to intake from the outside and exhaust into the attic or the other way around? or intake/exhaust both outside, this may be possible as there are two existing vents in the attic approximately the distance apart I would need. I will be running a carbon filter.
    Is it worth looking into a tent? how good are they at containing the odor? that is my main concern... I am not completely retarded when it comes to carpentry and I think I cold build a pretty secure box on my own, but if a tent would be much easier then I would like to explore that.

Please feel free to discuss any/all aspects of this as I am looking to gather as much info and knowledge as possible before i make an attempt at this. Thanks for reading all that shit. :wave: