Beginners Quick Guide to Growing : Ready to start?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Smokeitdown, Feb 23, 2009.

1. #21 AL1, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    I'm a bit confused. In seedling stage it's 2-3 weeks and vegetative 6-10. So in total, before you start flowering it can take between 8-13 weeks? (assuming unlimited growing space)

And it's also in my understanding that I can trigger flowering anytime I want? So, no matter what the size of the growing space is (if it's somewhat limited), as soon as the plant consumes 50-60% of it I must switch to 12/24 & change light bulbs?

Thanks! Tutorial is very organized and easy to follow! +rep

2. Well, at least according to me, you r plant is not in veg state until it has a few internodal growths and is about a week or two old. There is no set time limit on veg. You can veg for 5 weeks, or you can veg for a year. All depends on your space. Then to flower, switch to 12/12, and change the bulbs. Any more questions feel free to keep em coming

3. Got a couple of questions before I start. My grow space is 2' x 6' x6' ...using a closet. Have 6 100w cfl's in brooder fixtures suspended from ceiling. Have an exhaust fan for a bathroom vented to attic and a fan to provide motion for the plants. Hoping to get 6 to 8 plants going. Does this sound doable?

Wondered why NOT to use aluminum foil on walls? Unless its noise I dont see why you couldnt use it. Please enlighten me on this.

Bman60

4. Because tin foil wont distribute evenly. It causes hot spots and can burn your plant. Also, I think it is definitely do-able for 8 plants in there. They say 100w for a plant, then 50-100+ for each additional plant. So you will be golden.

FYI ANYONE WHO HAS QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK THEM HERE. I AM TIRED OF GETTING 15 PM'S A DAY ABOUT YOUR GROW SITUATION WHEN MOST OF THE QUESTIONS CAN BE ANSWERED WITH A QUICK READ HERE.

5. What is the purpose of changing the bulbs?

6. This is really good, man

7. great tut man. Gonna get my grow started in about 2 weeks.
    thanks man

8. what is the most reliable/confidential site to use to order seeds?

9. Couple things to clarify here, Smoke. 5.5-7 is a big range for pH... are you saying 5.5-5.7? Also, isn't that a little low for soil? Want to add anything about the runoff? That seems to me to be a good indicator of what the 'real' pH is, and should be somewhere around 6.5, IIRC.

10. I'm still a beginner grower, but can't you also germinate seeds by putting them in a cup of water for 24 hours? I didn't see anything about that in the guide.

Its a pretty foolproof way to germinate them, just wait until the seeds sink:D, also, with this method, if a seed doesn't sink, it means its unusable, i think. So you know which seeds are usable before you plant them.

I dont know that much about growing, so if i screwed up some information in this post, feel free to correct me.

11. no i think u have it right thats what ive heard, but i did not know there was a 24 hr time u can keep it in for it i just waited a few hours and the ones that sank i planted in soil and the other ones just sucked anyway lol

12. #32 DropDeadFred, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    I am a beginning grower and I read this tutorial - Great work. However, I don't really know where to start. I am on a time constraint, and I have about 8-10 weeks before I need to get rid of my plants because I'm not moving across the country and taking them. For those who are going to tell me to wait, save your breath. :p I spend entirely too much money on MJ and am looking for a good way to produce my own so as to get rid of/reduce the cost for myself and my friends. I am looking at some of these seeds here and they look great, however I'm looking for a seed that flowers quickly and I was wondering if you guys have tasted any of the seeds sold here and which is quality. What helped me decide to grow was the fact that I have family that has started recently and the fact that the last bag I got from someone else was schwag and I got about no kief out of a quarter when I ran it through my grinder. I usually get a gram or so of kief from mids that I get. If anyone has a guide that has more specifics on equipment or has some advice or links to some good things to have then I would be extremely happy. This is a great guide, don't get me wrong but when 500 grams is on the line I would like to try to make sure I have it set up right. This would be soil and I have a good idea how to do this after reading this guide but if anyone else has any tips on a specific strand or seed that flowers quicker I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. From what I understand, I could just start growing in an old coffee can and then transfer to a 5 gallon bucket with some holes in the bottom punched on each side but I'm sure you guys will tell me after I read this post. I dont have to hide the fact that I'm growing it here as I live by myself so I am just looking for a cheap, efficient system that would do that job, flower quickly, and let me get some quality MJ.

Edit: I'm having a hard time choosing a light too and I can see lots of guides here on different stages and whatnot but I honestly still havent figured out which stages is which, which order they come in, and which light to use when. Advice on that would be awesome too. Thanks people.

13. So you figure you have 10 weeks at the most? Only the fastest plants are done in that time span. And that's flowering from seed, started yesterday.
    You'll have to wait to get your seeds, wait to get your gear. Even if you went out this weekend and bought everything, it'd be too late, IMO you realistically don't have the amount of time you need, DropDeadFred.

14. I miscalculated, I have a minimum of 12 weeks and a maximum of 15.

15. Wow....A grow guide that actually gets specific and tells you how much water at what stage. Thank You Smokeitdown! :yay:

16. No problemo. I forgot about this thing... I came back to it for some random info the other day though.. always useful :)

Could use a bit of editing, but can't edit the post anymore.. oh well :smoking:

17. Bumpage!

It's that time of year again.. and I figured I would bump this up for all our beginner growers getting started around here.

Any questions, feel free to fire them my way!