Beginners Guide To Get You Started In Growing Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by jcj77d, Apr 30, 2009.

1. When you obtain the grow lights I would recommend getting the non compact fluorescent lights, because they have amounts of mercury and the electricity pushes that mercury out of the bulb right to you and your plant.:eek:

Here's my source:CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury

2. #1062 al3k5, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
    [quote name='"highsociety420"']When you obtain the grow lights I would recommend getting the non compact fluorescent lights, because they have amounts of mercury and the electricity pushes that mercury out of the bulb right to you and your plant.:eek:

Here's my source:CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury[/quote]

Wow! Did not know, its non harmful unless it breaks though right? Cfls are what makes growing for some folks possible, they are cheap, easy to come by, and eat less energy than hids or other lights.

3. Try adding in, a container of baking soda & vinegar inside of it. Definetly speeds it up I think, and masks the smell

4. What's guys?! Tomorrow I will be moving not my new apartment tomorrow and I found one with a spare room!!!! I can't build worth a damn, so I just purchased a grow kit from htgsupply. Go here for the link....HTG Supply - HTG 1000w Grow Tent Kit. I ended up getting the 8 inch inline duct fan for intake and I got The GrowBright 8" Inline Fan & Charcoal Filter Combo for exhaust. With this being a 55”x55”x79” within a 8 ft by 10 ft bedroom, would I have to connect the intake, to pull in air from outside, or can I just pull it from the room? I was thinking of building a window bow with two compartments. One for intake and the other for outake, but is the window box efficient if the window is closed? Or should I leave it cracked while sealing it in place.

5. #1065 SCMC, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    Apartment growing is interesting. The fan is going to make a lot of noise, you'll want to run at least a few feet of insulated ducting to and from the thing, if not wrap the fan in insulation and possibly pick up a duct silencer and speed controller also. If you run the exhaust or the intake from the window there will be a wooshing noise at the window which might alert other people in your complex as to what is going on in there.

It is better to have some versatility and put a window fan in there to constantly blow the cool winter/spring temperature into the room. In the summer time I would recommend some form of cooling. If it is 80 degrees in the room, and 90 degrees outside, you need a place to start pulling in cool air from. Home Depot usually sells a few 5,000 btu AC units in the spring on sale for like $80, just keep your eyes peeled.

For now, in the winter, try to get a fan with a hepa filter you can place in the window. You want to take advantage of the cool air as much as possible right now but you don't want to risk a contaminant like mold or bugs coming in. I don't think you'll need the intake fan, at least not in the beginning, because your exhaust fan should be able to passively draw in plenty of air. Wait to get everything set up before installing your intake. It will help you control the temperature for sure, but I think it is a little overkill and would maybe suggest you return it and pick up a less expensive axial (computer style) fan.

If you can manage it, route the exhaust from your tent into the rest of the apartment. The heat from the light will save you on your energy bill and help keep suspicion down when you bill is the same as your neighbor who is burning a 1200w space heater all night long.

Controlling the environment is tough here because you can't really afford all the constant whirring to cause suspicion. Fans in the windows, and AC units in the summer, are regular things to see and they are expected to make some noise. For a quick window blocker you can get speaker fabric online that prevents anyone from seeing into the room from a distance.

The roots organics nutrients you got are going to need some supplementation, probably a little Calcium and some Magnesium. I suggest you pick up some General Organics CaMg+ and some Epsom Salts. You'll want about 1/2 teaspoon of the CaMg+ per gallon, and 1/8th teaspoon per gallon of Epsom Salt, but you won't need this stuff until the plants are really kicking ass and taking names. These should cost you maybe $20 combined... after tax.

The other products I would like to recommend to you, but are not required, are a Kelp extract and a Silica supplement. I like to use General Organics BioWeed for kelp and Dyna-Grow Pro-Tekt for the silicon. I also think that a good humic/fulvic acid helps bring out the full potential of the plant and naturally enhances their smell and maybe even potency a little. I use Humboldt Nutrients FlavorFul as a fulvic acid. All combined this could be another $40 retail, after tax, but maybe you get a 20% deal or something and knock it back to $30ish.

The Kelp is really great stuff. Hormones in the extract interact with the root tips causing explosive growth. The key to growing really happy plants is keeping the roots really happy, at just 1/2 teaspoon of extract you'll see your roots exploding from the sides of the planter quickly, and this will support a big healthy plant that harvests heavy.

One thing I notice is that they sent you 6 gallon grow bags. Which are really pretty big. Personally, I would grab a tote or some garbage bags and take about 3 gallons of dirt out of the bags. Maybe 2 gallons, but probably 3. Just roll down the sides. 6 gallons of soil is a lot of dirt, figure 1 gallon per month, more or less, so that's why I say 3 gallons more or less is plenty of dirt for a 5 week veg and a 8 week flower. There's only so much space in that tent after all. The extra dirt could be used to transplant your seedlings to in 16-20oz party cups to fill out a little more before going to the big containers, or you could get a few more containers and do a few extra plants in the room, just fill it wall to wall with 12 plants in 3 gallons each, train them to occupy a smaller space (sort of a sog, but with medium sized plants) and aim for 2 ounces each. Sounds like a modest goal and I think you can pull it off.

Here's what will help. Keep your canopy temperature at 75.6 to 76.5 degrees all day every day. The humidity can be as high as 70%, but I wouldn't go much over that. During flowering you'll want to stay under 50% to help reduce the risk of mold. If the is mold then you need to find a way to drop under 30% to keep it from spreading. The most important thing is to keep your room, and your apartment as clean as possible. Dirty dishes lead to gnats, and when you clean the dishes they find other places to lay their eggs and that can be an issue. Pet hair is also something to be aware of if you have cats or dogs.

Follow the feeding instructions on the bottles and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I really have no concern that your little investment will pay for itself in about 4 months from today.

6. I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick question I am new to growing clones and just got a couple la confidential from a med disp in norcal. so its rooted in soil about 5 inches and was on a 24 hour light cycle at club. I transplanted into soil and am wondering if I should keep it on 24 for another week or switch it to 18/6 now anyways any tips would be appreciated! thanks Peace&love.

7. I prefer 18/6 right now. You can change it whenever you like without concern.

8. i planted some bag dro seeds in some soil and now there popping with lil white stems how to tell if they growing/popping rite

9. can anyone point me in the right direction for the lucas formula...im starting a cap 12 bucket grow...auto ak47 with diesel...any help would be great!!

10. [quote name='"kizzykizz"']can anyone point me in the right direction for the lucas formula...im starting a cap 12 bucket grow...auto ak47 with diesel...any help would be great!![/quote]

www.thelucasformula.com

Lol. Try the Internet. Often times it takes less time for google to respond with an answer.

11. #1071 budnoob, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
    :wave: Hi guys.My last crop had mites.What is the latest time,in the development of the buds,can I spray neem oil on the buds without messing them up?? Oh yah,I smoked the heck out of those mites..:smoke: Thanks in advance...:wave:

12. I'll just save some effort and post my questions here instead of making a semi-redundant thread for them.

I'm having this really bad itch for growing but don't have the apartment to do so, yet. I grow chili instead to train myself and for the love of nature & capsaicin. There's never enough information or experience when it comes to botany, so I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions..

So on the topic of medium, it has come to my understanding, that perlite & vermiculite mixture is a passive hydroponic solution.
    I assume the term derives from the two being very capable of absorbing water. So how should I schedule their nutrition?
    I plan on using the nutes I have now: GHE's FloraMicro, Gro, Bloom, Diamond Nectar, BioSevia Gro & BioSevia Bloom.

Also is this a good medium of choice when the aim is to generate as much yield as possible?

13. Anytime in veg im pretty sure is okay. Even with some of the stuff they have out now you can with it in flower but i really wouldnt do it with weed.

14. Im not an expert but id say everything sounds good. Get a bag of plain good soil from your hydro store with nothing in it but perlite/verm and add some extra perlite too the mix. As generating the much yield as possible goes You will have to get a nice light. Big lumens in the appropriate footprint always needs to be taken into mind. Aswell as a technique such as Super cropping, Low Stress Testing, Topping the plant and Scroog. AS WELL as if your going to grow 1-2 Huge plants or a SOG (Sea Of Green) of a bunch of smaller plants. Hope this helps. Your nutes sound good just follow the bottle and always use a little under what the bottle says. Always come here to ask people this is a GREAT community!!

15. This is day 14 of my grow and most of the plants are pretty decent size and they're working on growing they're 3rd set of leaves. They are getting bigger and last I checked, Saturday, the roots were beginning to show a little through the soil.

All of the plants have some type of yellow discoloration, and after checking pH, feeding because I was only using pH'ed water, then switching back to water, all plants have some type of yellow discoloration. After some research I figured that they were most likely burned by the soil I used, Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

If it is in fact because of the soil, how can I solve the problem? I'm hoping this will only be during the seedling stage. I will be posting pictures in the morning.

16. Thank you for the quick response, GrassCity is definitely a great community! :wave:

I'll be using the LST method starting from the first ever grow as well as experiment with the defoliation of leaves. For the light, right now I'm sporting a 250watt Metal Halide. Will be using that one for vegetative growth, gonna try to hook up a good 400w HPS in the future for flowering.

Most probably LST and defoliation techniques will provide the intended results for the first grow, whenever it will happen :)

17. After some research and the trials mentioned above, I decided to just flush each of the pots with a little over 200 mL of pH'ed water.

I did this because I tested the pH of the run off and it was always between 6.5 and 7.0. I also tried adding a light fertilizer solution a couple of times and the problem seemed to worsen faster. I, for some odd reason, thought the culprit was a nutrient deficiency. Since I'd been reading many reviews that say the Fox Farm Ocean Forest burned seedlings, I figured that I'd flush the medium with water to wash away some of the nutrients already in the soil.

I took some pics of the girls but since I have such horrible reception in my apt., I'm gonna post them tomorrow sometime.

18. #1078 tplat, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012

Seedlings dont need any nutrients for the first several weeks or so. If your gonna use Fox Farms soil for seedlings I think you want to use thier Light Warrior brand. Ocean Forest has nutes in the soil that take abot 2 weeks to break down. As for seedlings untill thier ready for nutes I dont even PH the water, just straight tap water that sat out for a day.

19. [quote name='"tplat"']

Seedlings dont need any nutrients for the first several weeks or so. If your gonna use Fox Farms soil for seedlings I think you want to use thier Light Warrior brand. Ocean Forest has nutes in the soil that take abot 2 weeks to break down. As for seedlings untill thier ready for nutes I dont even PH the water, just straight tap water that sat out for a day.[/quote]

Thanks soo much!!! I found that out after some research later in but since I flushed my soil out with 3 times the volume, I think I may have washed most if not all the nutrients out of the soil.

Today I also bought some Superthrive to put on some hopefully everything works out and all my babies bounce back.

20. when is the best time of year to germinate marijuana seeds?
    Have two plants growing at the moment WWxBB they are a month and a half and have not grown beyond 3 inches what could the problem be?
    please help