Beginners Guide To Get You Started In Growing Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by jcj77d, Apr 30, 2009.

1. i think you should add a small quiz at the end to test people on what they learn't to see if they remember it ?

2. everybody would get a 100, b/c they can just go back & look for answer, but nice thought

3. hi Jcj, i'm a complete newb to growing but have been tarring my lungs for over 45 years. Perhaps thats why the last 3 hours reading hasn't answered my question, heheh.

I'm sure you can give me the advice I need.
    I bought 2 clones a week ago to try my hand at growing with led lights. They were about 3-4 inches tall when I bought them. Put them on 24 hrs in pro mix 3 gal pots.
    Watering with filtered city water, no ferts yet. Problem is they are now about an inch taller but showing white hairs already. Found out that the guy who sold them took them off 24 hr and put them outside for 2 days, didn't tell me until I called him to ask.
    So can I do anything to put them back into veg or should I just go 12/12 and live with small yield? They are afghani clones. I'm worried i might end up with 2 males if I leave them on 24, or do you think they'll revert to veg if I pinch the the hairy bits off.

Appreciate any info and I AM reading but old and slightly not so bright when it comes to growing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

4. just leave them as they are, put on 24/0. & u can prob start 1/8 strength veg ferts & superthrive for root growth. alot of my clones get hairs on them, its semi-normal, & nothing to worry about, & females cant turn into males, they can go hermi, but nothing to woory about at this point

5. Thats great, I thought they might have been toast. Thanks very much for the advice and speedy response Jcj

Great thread BTW.

6. Thanks for the guide, I'm interested in growing, but can't yet so hopefully I'll remember this thread when I start. I say this needs a sticky.

7. Very good post! Thank you very much:hello:. I've read a few beginners growing guides but yours by far relates for me the best :D THANKS AGAIN!

8. One thing I haven't been able to find in any of the beginner guides is how much/often to water the plants. I just started a very small grow with one of my friends and only one of the seeds even sprouted. He insisted that they only needed to be watered every other day, but to every time I checked on the plants, the soil felt completely dry. Maybe my box was too hot, but if you knew the proper watering cycle, as well as any tips on automatic watering systems (where to find them, how much water to give the plant, etc) that would help a ton.

9. Talk about ignorant. WHO does that cantharis think he is? Jumps on your thread and starts answering questions? I'm a noob and spun a thread and asked a question about growing and he replied why do I capitalize my A's in A sentence. WHO CARES!!! I guess they don't have asshole protection here. Now that I vented I do have A question.
    Just topped my plants Should I wait to flower them? If so how long?

10. imo, keep seedings soil moist @ all time for the 1st wk, then water when the top 2" of soil is dry, w/ 30% runoff.
    watering cycles w/ differ w/ each grow, b/c of dif soils, lights, enviorment, etc.
    but i will add some detail on this.

11. yes, about 1-2wks, so the new tops can get a chance to grow

12. Man I'm hoping the initials are right. . . :smoking:

Just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for responding. I know it takes time and effort. I'm starting a gaming company and I'm about to release a card game called Dazed Gold Edition It's a straight up smoking game. You play for control of the bowl. Your a grower and your trying to get your fields planted if you do you win full or partial control of the bowl.

I'm donating 25% of the proceeds to help distribute correct information about medical cannabis and industrial hemp and try to swing the public votes in CA and OR and CO.

Anyway I have been stuck asking and answering questions on various sites for HOURS, I know it can be alot of work and I just wanted to say thanks - however I clicked on the first link in your signature and it didn't take me anywhere. I'm a little :smoking: so I might have missed something.

Thanks Again, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say it makes a difference getting heard and responded to.

13. Jcj already answered this, and his advice is gold, but I just wanted to chip in. I've been growing my plants for just under 2 weeks now, and they're thriving. All I did was make sure to water when the soil was dry. If you start your seedlings in those red plastic cups (16 or 18 oz) you can really tell when they need to be watered, because the cup will be extremely light. I think you just kinda get used to knowing when the plants need water. If you've ever grown plants at all, you get experience with that kind of thing. Oh, that being said, for any potential growers out there, maybe get a houseplant to learn how to tend plants. I bought a miniature rose bush and learned all about pruning and watering, etc. When I bought it it was dry, dead flower, leaves falling off, etc. I've also learned that most plants are pretty hardy, and when you remove leaves the right way, they'll grow more, etc. I wish I had taken a before picture, but this is what it looks like now. I bought it for my wife for mother's day, and she loves it. We even put some of her dad's ashes in the bottom. I believe that adds nitrogen to the soil. Okay, this isn't a hijack, just letting people know that general plant care is always a good thing to learn before growing.

Attached Files:

14. great tip.:D

15. couple of questions,I've never done a grow and maybe i should start a outside grow, but im very noob at this to the point where i dont even know what to do on a outside grow!:confused: do i just water every day? can i just grow it from backyard?

or

indoor?

how many plants and or equipment should i buy?

how much weed out of one plant does typicaly?

and between indoor/outdoor what are results?

i also pm you for other relateld stuff.

16. So you want to make another sticky which newbies won't read. Sounds pointless to me, having to read all this thread for an answer, when the answers are in the other simple stickys. Theres no difference in this thread and your other thread.

• Like Like x 2

17. Pointless,..... you mean like your post?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. You can talk!

19. hi all,complete noob here.didnt like what i was buying so ive decided to try(!!!!!)growing my own.ive looked into growing whitewidow and ive talked to a guy who runs a shop called the funky skunk but he wasnt much help as its illegal to give advice on growing here in ireland so hence im on here.now i know there are v.good posts on growing for 1st time but some of the jargon is way over my head!!!ok maybe what ive smoked so far has made me a bit stupid but...what id like to know is what would you recommend to someone like me who likes a smoke about once a week,whos got kids so any thing i grow would have to be discreet and is it possible to grow just 1 plant as naturally as possible indoors.probably looking for impossible but if so id appreciate the honesty!!!!truth be told im a bit nervous of buying all the equipment and stuff and then find i cant grow diddlysquat!!!cheers to any who reply and great site by the way.

20. His thread is very useful out of all the threads i think i understand this one the most.

no harm in sticky it