Beginner's guide to germination with rockwool and a propogator.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SockPuppet, May 12, 2009.

1. I really don't know, I grow the plants in clay pellets using only the small initial rockwool cube. In any case do not worry, the plants do not fall, the roots hold them just fine.

Definately not OVER the rockwool :) If you want to be sure go half a centimeter above the bottom of the rockwool. Just make sure they stay wet :)

Same thing I said to Digital Dwarf.

2. so you put the seeds in the rockwool then put them in the dome then put the light on them or do u germinate them put them in the dome then put the light on just confused about this

3. how deep should the water be in the propergator? or is it waterless and you just used the cubes soaked with water alone?

4. You can germ the seeds in rockwool or in a paper towel, either way, it doesn't matter. But once the seeds are in the rockwool, then the rockwool goes under the dome. The light is not essential until the seedling pops up, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead and position a light over the dome at the beginning.

5. hello, thnx for the awesome guide. i know its an old thread but can someone help me verify if my shits aite? lol

so i read my destilled waters ph which was around 6.0 then after i put the rockwool in for about 20 mins i read levels again and it was like 7.3.

so i put a small drip of ph down (avd nutes) and it dropped to 2.5....

so i poured the water out, kept the 4 rockwools in the container and refilled with destilled. i did this about 3 times to try to flush out some ph down so the levels balance out.

now the reading is 6.1 and has been the same reading for the past hour or 2, but it does smell a bit strong (from the phdown) is the rockwool still safe to use for my seeds?

6. any thoughts on this?....

also snice seedlings dont really need light until they sprout out can i just leave to 65k cfl lights on them? when should i increase the cfls before i got to a HID light

7. Began germinating my Great White Shark seeds.

Started off by grabbing a single paper towel and soaking it onto a plate. Then laying the seed in and placing another soaked paper towel on top. Placed another plate on top to keep it humid and dark. I plan to transfer the seed into rockwool once it sprouts a root.

How long does it usually take to sprout a root?

8. have a quick question. Had about 9 seeds in a cup over night. When I lightly tapped them they slowly dropped to the bottom. Is this alright? I plan on letting them sit another day to see if they grow a root. Let me know if I'm good to go or not

9. @Jsilver

I have done the same with 2 NL seeds, they both sproted roots from paper towels today and i transfered to the rockwool in the propagator dome.

Just leaving them on top of my computer server at the moment, and i dropped the humidity/temp calc insiide the humidifier also to keep a eye on the RH and TEMP C

At moment temp 24.7C and RH 92%.

Worried about how much water i should keep in the container, at the moment its bone dry at the bottom and the rockwool was not dripping wet when i dropped the seeds in the holes, i guess about 50% water in the rockwool now.

1/2cm at the bottom of the container would keep the rockwool SOAKING wet at all times, this is a bad idea surely!!

I've taken the plastic off the rockwool and they feel moist enough, you can see a slight color change from the rockwool being moist and soaked

How often to add water?

Lights going off and on is not an issue at this stage? Light only becomes an issue when they are 1-2" high and showing leaves?

10. Can i use a 600watt hps light above the dome with rockwool or will that kill it?

and does the dome need water thanks

11. bringing this back to life, so you put the seed pointy side down about a 1/4-1/2" then flip it over into the propogator? So the seed is at the bottom of the tray?

12. You can use a light as long as the inside stays around 85 90 deg. The tray has enough water from wetting the media down. Just make sure it stays toasty. Can take up to a week sometimes if your seeds are assholes

Thunder........thunder........thunder......thundercats get al the HOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEESSS

13. A true Dr's tutorial. ++

14. So I have noticed that my seeds have cracked in my rockwool. They are over a heating mat and I am wondering if I should put on my CFL's now? This is only the start of day three from putting the fresh seeds in the rockwool

15. So this is day three since i have put my seeds in rock wool with correct ph and heating pad, dome and propagator. I noticed that they have cracked and want to know if i should put them under my cfl?

16. Put the lights on when you see the first true leaves

17. when you say true leaves do you mean green leaves. Because i have some white leaves forming and i dont know if i should put it under the light

18. what about starting with rockwool then planting in soil you put the cube in the soil?

19. Correct it would all go into the soil