Beginners growing kit?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DontPassOnGrass, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Hello all, been thinking a lot lately of starting to grow my own but I have many questions I need answered before I start wasting money and time doing things incorrectly!

a few things every basic grower (beginner) needs before he can start growing?

(Indoor growing only I live in the pacific northwest= cold/rain/wind for now)

Space: How much space would you suggest for a first grow? (half a closest, a big dresser drawer, attic, etc etc)
    Lighting: what types of lighting would you suggest and how many bulbs? What about a power strip for the lights? A 'Cage' like thing to hold the lights above the plants? (a cost/location to buy and to go with would be appreciated)
    Pots: what sized pots/cups are needed? I know that at first smaller is better but just a general overview would be great!
    Soil: What type and how much soil is needed for a basic grow?
    Fertilizer: I've read that some people dont even use fertilizer, what do you think?

Most importantly..

Seeds: Where can one obtain some beginner seeds? I rarely find 'Bagseed' and im not too keen on ordering marijuana seeds online, suggestions?

Seeds2:
    Is it possible to tell the difference between male and female seeds? Also how can I tell if its a good seed or a waste?

Any answers to these questions or other things I may have left out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guy!

2. first suggestion: read around. there are numerous guides that answer all of your questions in great detail.

second: ill give you some bare minimum advice on everything

-a closet or unused cabinet works great
    -get yourself some cfl's(lots of guides on these, Kamel makes a great one)
    -pots depend on space constraints.
    -always organic soil
    -get some fox farm nutrients for soil, soil trio will cost you forty bucks
    -if you have no bagseed, ask around, or order them online. perfectly safe
    -you cant tell from the seed whether the plant will be male or female. you will find out once you grow the plant :rolleyes:
    -you can however, buy feminized seeds

3. thanks for the quick reply, I only did this hoping that I could have all my questions answered right into my thread as to save time and avoid confusion, i dont mean to ruffle any feathers!

Which strain would you recommend starting with? (indoor limited space, relatively easy to grow, etc etc)

I like the idea of buying feminized seeds, makes things much easier for a growing noob!

4. maybe you could start with some autoflowering strains i think they r good for beginners

5. #5 kushman2020, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
    limited space, easy to grow, hmmmmm. lets put it into the strain-o-matic. *theme show music*

your ideal strain isssssssssssssssssss............................lowryder x ak47 autoflowering feminized!

EDIT: if i had extra time i would answer all of your questions, but it would take me a solid 2 hours to answer them even halfway. theres just so much information, and so many routes you could take. just go through all the stickies in absolute beginners, and you will learn a lot from there

6. wow that's interesting....a cabinet, eh? If I could grow in a cabinet that would be ideal.

7. thanks, and I can order those online from a seedbank found in the sticky?

8. the attitude seedbank is my weapon of choice. quick, discreet, and reliable