Beginners First Grow - Balcony in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Aliph, Oct 29, 2007.

1. One of the Sensi Star's is showing growth every day. They're still too young to be affected by the short days so keeping the fingers crossed and moving ahead. Btw, have you tried adding wood ash to give it some of those trace elements you may be missing?

2. i think i have a magnesium defficiency.
    so wood ash wont work, plus i read it jacks up your pH.

i need to find some lime. (which is another source for Mg) i dont think that should be a problem. will look for it tomorrow. but then again, its alkaline..so ill have to fix pH.

epsom would make it real easy
    ill let u know

3. Man that soil looks soaked in all the pictures... Gotta remember bro, MJ grows best in very very dry conditions. Slow-growth could be a sign of overwatering.

4. so i sourced some epsom salt from kauser medico (had to order)
    and neem oil from lotias.

think you'll want to get some too.

5. Oh....so I should cut down further on the watering. I've been watering every other day, but I think I'm gonna cut back a little and see what happens. Btw....growth has picked up substantially now.

6. Ok....good to know about that Neem oil. I forgot to ask him but did have that on my list as a natural bug repellent. Perfect....seems like we do have everything to do this grow without resorting to all that importing headache.

7. Everyother day could be whats doing it. I water like once a week. Its a hard thing to master - i've killed a lot of sprouts from overwatering, and one thing i've noticed is the plants just grow SUPER slow. Like a new leaf set would take 5 days to a week - much slower than a lot of the grows I see on here. My little reveggin monster is growing a new leaf set daily - I owe that to better water control(as far as how much, and checking ph).

8. This is one of the combo pack seeds. Doing amazingly well. The others are a little smaller than this. WIll update those pics in the morning.

Attached Files:

9. I haven't watered the plants in a few days and will reduce the waterings to roughly once every 4 days depending on how dry the soil feels.

The large one is from the combo pack and is growing like mad even though we only get roughly 5 hours of direct sunlight per day on the balcony these days.

I have noticed some issues with the lower leaves, not the cotyledons, but the next set of lower leaves. They look like they have some fert burn; the tips of the leaves seem to have that indication. The other issue I see is the shriveling and slight yellowing of the lower leaves. I've zoomed in to show what I'm talking about and would appreciate any experienced growers giving some input on this.

Blackmore, what is the indication for an mg deficiency?

Attached Files:

10. looking good

they are too young for any ferts or deficiencies. those marks are probably fertburn from your soil mix. but it doesnt look too harsh. she'll survive.

check out this link for diagnosing problems

http://www.ganjaguerrilla.net/

11. I think you're right. I'm keeping a close eye on them to monitor if any of the symptoms matches those I've seen at the ganja guerilla site and the cannabible.

Attached Files:

12. Growing well.

Attached Files:

13. Trying to figure out if these are pistils or the male things. It may still be early, the plant is less than a foot tall still. Any input would be great.

The last one is the Sensi star, it isn't growing nearly as well as this other one.

Attached Files:

14. cant tell from here. pics are too blurry.
    check out the pics of male/female preflowers on my thread. quickest way to tell.
    and your plants should be showing sex as soon as they are able. 4th node maybe. (tis the season)

15. Moved all my balcony plants indoors 2 days ago. Their growth is more compact and rapid now since the lights are on 24 hours a day. This is the temporary set up until the cabinet is completed, hopefully by later today.

Attached Files:

16. that plant in the second pic looks like its already budding.
    ive been looking at it trying to make sure it isnt leaf growth im seeing.
    take a macro shot of the nodes if you need confirmation. I think that ones a female!!

good move going indoors, its much easier and quicker this way ...and i think you'll see good accelerated growth now. Those lights are too far. You want to have the lights directly on top of the plants, maybe 1 inch or less away (wouldve been easier if you started off using smaller pots) if you do this, your plants will grow short and bushy. the plants at > 5 inches will stretch

and those lights really do a good job. Tip: you can try making a reflector (paperplate +aluminum foil) and place it above the light (with the cable running through the middle) like a paper plate collar. ---(0 or a lamp. pretty easy to make and install.

outdoors was pretty pointless. the plants wouldve probably yielded you < 20 grams dried, since you planted at this time of year. most die after flowering.
    but u never know...it mightve worked too.
    but one things for sure, id be smoking alot sooner than you wouldve. :smoke:

17. hey, i took another quick look and im 100% sure the second pic's a female.

congrats!

18. Hey thanks, I know I have two confirmed females since they have mad pistils at the nodes. One of the Sensi Star is a male, I've noticed a pollen sacks at the nodes. Plants are growing a lot faster now since lights are on 24 hours a day. I'm not smelling anything from the larger plant though, when I did an indoor hydroponics grow long time ago, the plants actually stank up the place when they were this height.

The new grow room will be done in the next day or so. One thing I wanted to know was how you put your aluminum foil on the plywood. Doesn't look like masking tape is going to hold that long, but I'm guessing you've thought this through...so what're you using? I'm putting in two exhaust fans, one as an air intake and the other as an exhaust.

Attached Files:

19. Re: putting the lights closer to the plants-
    The stretching till this point was because they were growing outdoors but since I've got them under these lights, new growth has been pretty compact. I was afraid they'd get burnt if I put the lights too close but I guess you're not having that problem. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thats good news cause my grow room is only 6 ft tall and I was concerned about the height and the lights being too close to the plants. MH or HPS lights would still have that issue though, wouldn't they? I couldn't make the room much taller since I have size limitations.

20. The leaves are getting a little darker, they're also getting a little disfigured. I checked out the ganja guerilla site and it looks to me like mg deficiency. Can you confirm this? And if so, how much mg did you add?

Attached Files: