Beginners First Grow - Balcony in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Aliph, Oct 29, 2007.

1. nice to see you're on your way.

2. This is 4 days after the first seedling sprouted and 8 days after I planted the seeds. 4 seedlings....the 5th hasn't sprouted yet. I was wondering what this little black dot on one of the plants is...I'll be checking out the Cannabible but would appreciate any experienced growers input.

Attached Files:

3. Transplanted all seedlings from the tray to these large pots last night. They don't seem to have been affected at all and are looking pretty healthy today. I also planted 4 more seeds 3 days ago in some plastic cups filled with this same soil. Judging from the previous sprouting time, it will take another 2 days for them to show up and it is possible that 1 one germinate...just like the previous batch; I planted 3 seeds from Grasscity combo pack and only 2 sprouted.

By the way...does anyone know if one can move plants from outdoor to indoor, or vice versa? If they're in pots, it makes it easier but I wonder if that doesn't screw them up.

Attached Files:

4. going out to in will definately give the girls some shock (when they're older)
    they might appreciate going indoors to out, since the suns light is more intense than any other source. (environ change also shocks them, sudden temp drops, humidity etc)

yours are still in seedling stage, so you could easily move.
    and, i would put them in pots (small) from the beginning. you will avoid transplant shock.
    and its easier to transplant too.

5. I guess I will keep them outdoors then cause I haven't set up anything for indoors growing and I would need to go out and buy a whole bunch of supplies and set up a room. I'll probably do that in the next two or so months with a second grow op.

The pots I have them in are large enough to hold them till the end...they're larger than 5 gallons. So there won't be any transplanting going on.

6. I'm sorry to say, but Grasscity seeds have disappointed me. Out of 7 seeds, only 3 have germinated whereas Paradise Seeds have a 3 out of 3 germination rate. Plus, they dont label them. Finally, Stealth packaging is not exactly stealth packaging, they label the bag 'Cannabis Seeds' in 5 languages. I am not jumping to recommend buying these seeds.....my experience doesn't leave me happy. There are only two things I think they have going for them; speed of delivery (if not intercepted due to package labeling) and price (US$ 70 for 100 seeds out of which probably only 40 will germinate).

7. how long have you been germinating them?
    and how?

8. One of the Grasscity seeds has been in the seedling tray (soil) for about 3 weeks now. 2 out of 3 grasscity seeds popped out the first time while 2 out of 2 Paradise Seeds germinated. Then we have the second batch....1 out of 1 Paradise seeds germinated and only 1 out of 4 grasscity seeds germinated in the same soil-in-a-cup thing. Its been about 8 days now and no results from the remaining 3 grasscity seeds. 3 out of 7 is about 40% which is pretty bad any any standard.

9. after 2 weeks, chances of germination are pretty slim.

if you germinate any new seeds, try this with a couple...put them one night in the freezer and start germination in the morning.

i have quite a few dormant seeds too. some in germination for over 3 weeks now.

am exploring giberrellic acids potential to help with germination for dormant seeds.
    google it. there are loads of OTHER horticultralists using it.
    havent forund a "germination" reference in any weed forum yet. doesnt look like anyones ever used it for cannabis.

10. Have you tried scuffing? Putting them in a match box lined with sandpaper and then shaking it around. I'm going to give that a try with the dormant seeds and try again. I'll check out the giberrellic acids too.

I'm going to head out to buy the 85W CFLs 5,100 lms. How many do I need? It looks like you have quite a few in your setup. Also...have you added the MH yet?

11. ive tried scuffing. but with a different method. dont really know if it helped. a couple germinated and a few didnt.

# of lights depends on your setup.
    when they are seedlings, just 1 might be enough. depends on how many plants you have in how much space.

ya i added my MH 2 days ago.

12. I noticed you have multiple lights in your setup. I have 5 plants in about 5-6 square feet.

13. from what i remember reading...
    you need about 100 watts/ftsq. that is PLENTY and will facilitate good growth.
    i think the minimum # is about 50 - 60W.
    CFLs do give out more Lm/Watt than regular bulbs (think 85W = 420W incandescent)
    but they have low intensity/distance, so they have to be placed within a few inches of the plant.

so gotta get more to make sure the plant is covered from all angles as it grows.

14. so hows ur grow progressing?

15. Progress is decent. The plants aren't growing so fast, specially the Sensi Star. One of Sensi Star seems to have just started a growth spurt. Couldn't do the indoor op cause of visiting family....dont have any hidden spaces left. One of the Grasscity plants is growing much faster than the others. Real growth seems have picked up over the last couple of days. I dunno if this veg stage yet....I'm guessing thats what the growth spurt was: start of the veg stage.

Attached Files:

16. looks like ur on ur way. I wouldnt expect these plants to grow too fast at this time of the year. (daylight hours are too low nowadays). hopefully, they'll make it through the winter and re-veg in the spring. and you'll have a massive plant by this time next year. make sure u move em inside when temps get too low. >15 degrees.

ive been trying to find some epsom salt. have you been able to source it from anywhere?

17. This time next year? I was thinking that they would continue vegging for another 12-16 weeks after which I'd force them to flower. I was even gonna try and flower one in about 8-10 weeks. Although they're only getting about 5.5 hours of direct sunlight per day and another 5.5-6 hours of indirect sunlight (ts still day out except that the sun is blocked by a tree in front of my balcony), 4 of them seem to be growing very fast as of the last couple of days. Regions closer to the equator only range from about 10 hours per day (sunlight) on the shortest day and roughly 11 hours per day for the longest. In Karachi the shortest day of the year is Dec 22nd when we have about 10.5 hours of day light and the longest is June 21st when we have about 13.67 hours of day light. I think the major difference though would be the intensity of sunlight and the position during the day which would probably mean that I'd get more hours of direct sunlight on my balcony. The way I figured it, since the plants germinated and grew through their seedling stage under these conditions they would probably be fine and continue to grow as normal until I force them to flower with absolute darkness for 12+ hours per night for at least 2 consecutive weeks. Obviously if I let them veg longer they'll grow larger and I'd get more yield, but I'm dying for a smoke so I'll try to get some smokable bud asap.

I think it only really gets below 15 degrees for a couple of nights in Karachi....we really dont have much of a winter at all. This link shows our temp variation. The lowest it gets is around 12 degrees and that is for these next two months and only on some occassional nights for short periods. Overall, this place is pretty damned hot. I'm just surprised more people are growing it although I'm hearing about more and more people doing just that. http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:PKXX0008

I was looking for Epsom Salts earlier but couldn't find them. I'll probably have someone bring them in the about two weeks...can hook you up too if you like....how much would you need?

18. i need epsom ASAP. cant wait 2 weeks. Thanks for the offer man. i will have to find a substitute if i cant find any.

your plants will flower automatically outside, as soon as they are able.
    it is THAT time of the year. and chances of death after flowering is always high.
    hopefully ur plants wont have to go thru that route since u planted late in the flowering time of the year. they might flower for a bit and head into back veg as spring approaches.
    ya, temps dont go too low mostly, but we have those occasional really cold spells in which we have >10 degree drops.

19. Do let me know if you find viable substitutes for Epsom salts...would make things easier long term to be able to buy everything locally.