Beginner...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Toolman74, Aug 27, 2016.

1. I'm growing indoors in soil. I'm now in the flowering stage on a 12/12 cycle. Was just wondering what color LED lights I should be running at this point? The ones I have, have blue, red and a few white. I've heard that the blue will keep them in veg and I should run straight red. This is coming from someone that has never grew before. Any experienced growers, your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. 1472331145790.jpg 1472331168569.jpg 1472331175656.jpg 1472331185569.jpg

3. Use them all Veg or flower is decided by time of darkness , not what spec of light .. Flowering needs 12 hours of DARKNESS . Veg needs less DARKNESS , most run 18 light 6 darkness during veg . UNLESS they are auto flowers which flower due to maturity and not the light cycle . This might help ...
    Tutorial: How to Grow Cannabis Indoors! | Grow Weed Easy

4. Thanks a bunch for the info. Much appreciated.. I've gotten this far with them, it'd be a real bummer to lose them.

5. Youll be way better off IMO if you implement some sort of training on those. Get more budsites closer to the lights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What kind of training? I apologize for my stupidity, first time grower here. Thanks!

7. That's a good mix of red and blue for each phase of the grow, but the timing of the lights is what determines if and when they flower. The color of the light is determined by its wavelength. Some wavelengths are needed more at different times of the growing cycle. Basically, cannabis plants like more blue in veg and more red in flower, but both are always needed.

How far into flowering are your plants? Have they started stretching yet?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. They've only been in flowering for about 2 weeks if that. I'm not sure what you mean by stretching?

9. Basically bending them over so more of the plant and buds are closer to the light.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yep. Go to the advanced growing techniques forum or search for scrog or LST.

11. Couldn't I just add some side panel lights for the lower budding?

12. During the first few weeks of flowering cannabis plants will usually double or triple in size. That's what I meant by stretch. If you're two weeks in to flower already they've kind of gotten ahead of you. Bending the main stem down while they're young will result in a shorter, bushier plant which make the best use out of the lighting. If you try to bend them too much now you risk snapping them. You've got a pretty thick main stem. They're not likely to grow much more anyways. Yes, side lighting will help.

How many watts is that light?

13. I have 2 of those lights putting out 680nms. Getting 2 more all red LED lights for the top and I'll put these lights down for the sides. I'm using silver lining my grow space as well as a couple mirrors for reflection. Since I posted this I've noticed a lot more flowering.

14. 680nm is the wavelength of red light. Power is rated in watts. I think I've looked at those lights on Amazon and they're 45 watts each. They're good for side lighting, but not too great for a main light. You'll get some bud, but they'll likely be small and airy. If you want a good, cheap LED try a MarsHydro 300. They sell for $70 on eBay and draw 142 actual watts using a lot more powerful chips. They use 60 five watt LEDs to get 142 watts. Yours is using 225 LEDs to get 45 watts. More powerful LEDs make the light penetrate deeper into the plant which is crucial when they're kind of tall like yours. I'd bet one Mars would easily outperform all 4 of those.

Reflection is good when it's diffuse. Mirrors aren't, and can create hot spots so be careful. The windshield sunlight reflectors from the dollar store seem to work well for a lot of people. Mylar survival blankets are another cheap option.

15. Thanks Charlie, I now have the red and blue lights on the sides, and 2 all red up top. Took the mirrors out and put in bubble wrap silver insulation. It's just a little 2x4 greenhouse they're in. The reflection looks good and the plants look happy. Leaves are standing up. I have a little fan going on them. At this point what should I add to make the buds bigger? I'm hearing that there blooming stuff that I can add to my water mix. I've only used miracle gro mixed with water maybe twice since seed.

16. You're welcome Toolman. You have two options, get better nutrients and/or add more light. Your plant's nutritional needs will change during flowering, and Miracle-Gro isn't really the greatest. Most wouldn't even consider it "good". More importantly is adding more light. Light is food for your plants. It converts the nutrients you give them into energy to grow and flower. Without the right amount of light even the best fertilizers won't do you any good because your plants won't be able to use them. $70 gets you 150w of LED or HPS. High-powered CFLs placed pretty close to your plants work too. 2700k for flowering, 40 actual watts or more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. So I can add more cfl's white lights to the colored ones I have in there with them? I'm picking up some Fox farms tiger bloom. Is that a good one?

18. Yes you can add CFLs. Get the ones with a color temp of 2700k. I think they're usually called soft white. Dont look at equivalent wattage, use actual wattage. I'm not familiar with the FF line, but they have an excellent reputation. Whatever nutes you choose start with 1/4 or 1/8 strength and work them up from there. You might want to drop into the soil forum and ask about additives. I grow in coco coir and use the General Hydroponics Flora series trio. Those would work for soil too.