Beginner

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheAus, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Hi,

I thought id take a different approach to gaining advice as i grow and will be telling yall what ive done so far and what im going to be doing, hopefully i can get some good advice. Im in my 4th day so far from seedling :D.

Currently:

The setup is in a dodgy wardrobe, got light leaks everywhere but its ok.
    2 x 28 watt 5000k spectrum cfls
    1 x 18 watt 5000k spectrum cfl
    1 x general pedestal fan on the lowest setting ( lmao ) isfunny putting it in and out.
    Partially alfoil up to the lights height, im definately changing this asap.

Near Future:

Tommorow i will be getting;

plywood boards to make my own cupboard/box/cabinet. ( if anyone has good dimensions from a previous one theyve made, would be insane :D only looking to fit 1-3plant max .

Mylar, if not mylar i might just paint my whole wardrobe project white, any advice will be put into action though.

Mogul Sockets? Im going to have to look for some of those and y splitters.

Will also be adding more cfls tommorow but as of so far this is progress.

Thanks for the advice that will be given!!!:hello:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Just for clarification, when I say glue em together i meant double em up, so they're twice as thick. Ps, you can drill into these too and they stay on, thats how they add their "under contract" & "sold" shit.

3. #3 waktoo, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    Aus-

While I realize that your seedlings are already planted, your soil mix looks like it has ZERO perlite in it. Did you add some other kind of aeration amendment that I'm unable to make out in your pic's? If not, your soil is going to become compacted after a while. This will suffocate your roots, and kill your plants.

wak

Edit: I'd go with a flat white paint to cover the walls of the grow space you're building. It's cheaper than mylar, reflects almost as much light (just a few % points less), and will not capture condensation behind it, which could lead to mold issues.

4. Off to a good start man, once you get sorted things will really take off..

Good Karma

5. mad your a funny fucker ayy and your idea sounds completely viable. too bad i dont have wheels for quick getaways from the real estate agent lmao.

Hey waktoo you are right there is none, thought i do have some. But upon reading my soil mix i found out it has cutting edge tiny water crystals which hold water which has led me not to mix in a 1/3 mixture of perlite. But if you think otherwise i might repot?

6. Thanks ridge!, if i showed you guys what my set up looks like yous would laugh, i laugh everytime hahaha. funny shizz . But im LOVING this growing phase on so many levels which is why im putting some good money into it tommorow. and waktoo i probably will paint white unless i have a change of heart and decide to get for sale signs haha

7. Ive been in some of the most technical growrooms you can imagine, and no matter what I hardly think any growroom is something to laugh at...

What gives me inspiration as a grower is seeing guys fresh in the game applying the early philosophies and working with what they have.. Thats what being a grower is about.. Now, practice your ass off bro, and get them dues in so we can see some good herb in the next few months, and holler if you need anything...

8. thanks ridge racer reppp +.

9. sounds like bullshit soil to me... anyways, perlite is not necessary for cannabis plants to grow. they will grow fine in regular peat based potting soil, even in much more compact soil. extra aeration makes for much faster growth rates though.

10. simple and cheap options that do not get you in jail.

art supply store.

buy large "art card" or "foam core".
    stiff and cheap and plenty reflective.
    they come in large pieces.

another option
    a roll of white "art paper".
    comes in 36" wide rolls & MANY yards for like 20 bucks.
    of course it's paper and needs something to attach to.

I use the art card.

BUT, that being said.
    don't get carried away with the "reflective" surface issue.
    especially with CFL's. the amount of light reflected back is SO minimal that I would spend the time and effort getting more CFL's.

you're wasting your time.

11. I was thinking about adding perlite at flowering? I dont know about my soil being shit, its osmocote seedling raising mix, its the best shit in australia lol :s...

on another note aswell though how do the authorities get whiff of you growing? would they be infested in these forums aswell as all others and would they perhaps track search frequency of what your looking up? This could be a stupid question but you get thinking that when your reading/watching everything you smash through your google/youtube search engines?

12. [quote name='"TheAus"']Hi,

I thought id take a different approach to gaining advice as i grow and will be telling yall what ive done so far and what im going to be doing, hopefully i can get some good advice. Im in my 4th day so far from seedling :D.

Currently:

The setup is in a dodgy wardrobe, got light leaks everywhere but its ok.
    2 x 28 watt 5000k spectrum cfls
    1 x 18 watt 5000k spectrum cfl
    1 x general pedestal fan on the lowest setting ( lmao ) isfunny putting it in and out.
    Partially alfoil up to the lights height, im definately changing this asap.

Near Future:

Tommorow i will be getting;

plywood boards to make my own cupboard/box/cabinet. ( if anyone has good dimensions from a previous one theyve made, would be insane :D only looking to fit 1-3plant max .

Mylar, if not mylar i might just paint my whole wardrobe project white, any advice will be put into action though.

Mogul Sockets? Im going to have to look for some of those and y splitters.

Will also be adding more cfls tommorow but as of so far this is progress.

Thanks for the advice that will be given!!!:hello:

[/quote]

First off let me apologize that we got off on the wrong foot.

Sorry if the measurements seem odd, I'm converting to metric.
    For demensions I would go at least .912m x .3m and around .912 to 1.2 meters tall. Each plant you want to grow will need about .3m x .3m each. You can grow them smaller, but that is a good rule of thumb.

If you have the ability I would just paint it white inside. The only way I would bother with hanging Mylar is if I was using it instead of plywood for side or back covers. The amount of light refelected from cfls by the time is travels to the side of the box and back to the plant would be nominal at best and in my opinion isn't worth the money or time versus white paint. Walls are easier to wipe down between harvest as well in my opinion.

Try a hardware or lighting store if possible. If not, Amazon.UK carries a wide variety of splitters and various sockets. I'm not sure what base type your current bulbs have.

13. hahaah funny as madman that would have been the funniest shit to see. im in qld ay.
    dalars i appreciate your input but you could have just stated more cfls would be a better idea which i am going to be getting soon.

14. Ideas that don't get you in jail... = not growing weed lol. If he can get away with growing in a wardrobe he can flog a couple of for sale signs at night ;) (I'm only playing). Unless you're going to be growing loads man don't worry about the Australian five o, don't tell heaps of your mates and word won't spread. I'm in Queensland and they're dumb as dogshit here

15. indeed joker me too.

no they seem like perfect dimensions! and yes i think ive definately confirmed white paint for the inside too.

For my light troubles im going to go down to a proper lighting store and think i will be set after that visit. after my cupboard and lights are configured properly, ill have to work out a duction system. As well im going have to buy a ph tester. but with everything technical they tell you to get such as a humidifier and what not are their any things you can leave out on such a minimal grow? if not its all good just less is cheaper of course :D

16. What part of qld ? Brisbane region here.

17. Don't get the water ph tester, save your money. Your doing soil so it'll be fine if its decent quality. Qld water is good water (ph) wise. Just leave it out for a day to settle and get the chlorine out, unless you have access to tank water

18. haha nah madman i just stopped moving the greenery around not long ago and have had some run ins with that blue bacon haha really want to change my life and stealing signs just isnt the best start!! haha not that growing weed isnt wrong politically but i look at it the same as most of us as medicine rather than a drug. and yess looose lips siiink ships

19. im 1 hr below you, if you can work that out ;) city of lights :p.
    ok sweet as, i really thoguht id need one. i am very lucky having access to tank water :D

20. Nice weathe for us today huh. Have you thought about an outdoor grow? I'm gonna do an outdoor winter grow and just see what happens. Purely for the science of course. I know what you mean about changing your life though, an rep + to you for it. I too have gone through a life changing period lately, given up booze and given up drugs, been vegetarian for the last 9 months and feel great about everything. If not healthier but just karma wise. However this little project of mine goes against these morals I know, but it's learning curve and a journey. Plus it will give me the money to support a dream of mine that will be good for everyone. I digress haha.