beginner with a plan

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrog1718, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hey everyone,

So after much research i have come across this set up
    SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Bubbleponicsâ„¢ 6 Planter Starter Kit

I still need to move into my apartment to figure out the details of my grow room, but my question comes in the form of lighting. I was dead set on going with CFL's but now Im thinking with this big of a set up it wont be much more to go up to a HPS setup. I don't really know how many watts of an HPS i would need. Im thinking 350 watts of CFL. Any comments opinions or suggestions are welcome

thanks

2. A 400w should handle that hydro system.....

3. thanks for that help. Is it worth the extra money to go with an HPS light for a beginner? or should i wait till i have more experience before i spend that kind of money?

4. get a 400watt light

if ur new at grownin i wouldn't go with hydro . go with soil

5. Why shouldn't I go with hydro?

6. I don't care what anyone says, hydro is easier than soil. You have WAY more factors and nutes to deal with, with soil. And far more common instances of mold / bugs.

That hydro kit you're looking at is kindof useless by the way. How are you going to take the males(hermies) out? The roots will be tangled.

Those will also be very small plants, if you let them bush out they will not allow good light penetration.

You would probably be better off starting 1 mother in a bubble bucket and then clone from her.

and go with the 400w hps anyway. You will just be mad you wasted money on CFL"s only to want to upgrade everything you buy all the time...

7. I was planing to use the SCROG method and that's a good point with the males i didn't think of that maybe ill do a bubble bucket and then get this and clone later down the road. As far as light penetration could i use the HPS and then put CFL's under the screen and on the sides of the plant?

8. #8 dsq1989, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009
    yup. the more light the better.
    i also agree with halitzor. hydro has been sooo much easier then soil IMO. ive had minimal problems with my hydro setup where as soil is actually rather difficult for me. but im doing both and thus far hydro has much better growth results and is alot easier for me.

9. I started a bag seed 2 months before I got my real seads in the mail.

I started the bag seed in soil and the others are in bubble buckets.

The ones in bubble buckets are at least 5x bigger and are much, much younger.

10. thanks for all the info guys. I'm starting to look into buying feminized seeds, I think it would be much easier and that way i don't have to have two systems and the hassle of cloning. I just want a small set up that's able to pay for my habit. Do you think my plan of that hydro set up and the SCROG method will suffice?

11. i dont see y not.