Beginner with a lot of questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cougheebro34, Nov 6, 2010.

1. So my friend gave me about 15 seeds and im thinking about growing.. i dont have a lot of money so i cant buy a lot of fancy things. All i have rite now s Soil and a Pot. So i have a list of Questions here that i need answered please:

1. How many watts of uv light can i have at minimum?(Grow Space is a little cabinet type thing its about 1'x1'x3.5')

2. How much molasses should i use? How do you mix it with the water?

3. What about sugar?

4. If it is grown around any scents will it effect the weed at all?

5. How warm should the enviroment be?

6. Does putting a heating pad underneath the pot help?

7. Can you use a regular light for the first term?

8. About how much does a cheap UV light cost?

9. What things can you use to help it grow thicker and danker buds?

Other info is VERY appreciated

2. 1) I believe you can't use UV lights. Best lights for small spaces are CFL's. The rule of thumb is usually 100+ watts per plant and 50 additional watts for each additional plant. Those are actual watts not equivalency.

2) Molasses is usually only use during the last couple weeks of flowering. It plumps the bud's up. I believe it is usually 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. ( Don't take my word on this )

3) I'm not sure about sugar but I doubt you should use sugar.

4) No scents will not effect the weed.

5) I've read the best temps to get it at are in the 70's ( Again, I could be wrong.)

6) Unless the environment your growing in is REALLY cold than I don't see a use for heating pads. I have never heard of anyone using heating pads.

7) Again the best lights for your space would be CFL's. 6500k(Daylight) for veg and 2500k(Soft White?) for flowering. These can be picked up practically anywhere like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot.

8) Again I don't think you can use UV lights.

9) Nutrients. Try and invest in some Fox farms nutrients. They are the best.

3. #3 TheColonel, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
    What kind of soil do you have?

Don't worry about UV. If you're on a budget, just get some cfl's. Wattage will depend on how well you can exhaust the heat. You could get away with as few as 40-50 watts, but your yield won't be maximized for the space. If you have a good fan in there you might be able to do 4x27w or 2-3x42w. All depends on what you have access to. Somewhere around 100w would be ideal in your space. Your goal with all this planning is to keep temps somewhere below 85* and above 70*. Plants will grow in more extreme temps, but not well.

1 tablespoon per gallon. Just measure it, swirl the spoon around in your water to get it clean, then add the rest of your nutes. Shake shake shake, or stir stir stir. Let sit.

It's best to wait til flowering, but you can use it anytime. Just don't use it every watering until flowering.

Try to get some PH strips if you can. Scientific ones can be found on amazon for pretty cheap. If your plant isn't in the right PH range, it won't be able to absorb certain nutrients, even if they're already in the soil. At the very least, make sure your nute solution is somewhere between 6 and 7 prior to watering.

Nonononono. The molasses helps your plant create sugars inside the cells. Guano also helps this. Don't add sugar. All you'll do is attract insects and muck up your soil.

It shouldn't. What scents will you be growing around?

70-85*F is ideal

Only for germinating seeds. It's really not necessary, though.

Regular incandescent lights won't work. Regular CFL's work great. If you look closely on the bulbs/packaging they'll have a Kelvin rating.

6500K produces a more blue light, which keeps your plants short and bushy (something you want in a small box).

3000K produces more of an orange light which mimics the summer sun and promotes flowering.

If you can start with a couple 6500's and then switch to 3000's when you switch to 12/12 lighting, you'll be golden.

Really not necessary. Get a few grows under your belt before you worry about UV. A lot of people think it's a magic bullet to trichomes. More important are genetics and growing techniques. Get the growing techniques down first.

Did I mention growing techniques? Keep the plant happy and it will keep you happy.

HPS lighting in flowering will increase the density and yield, but they're more expensive, and produce more heat.

Hydroponics will also increase the yield, but you can often lose the nice subtle flavors that soil produces. Definitely check out Hempy Buckets, though. They are essentially a cup/bucket, filled with perlite (or perlite/vermiculite), and one drainage hole in the side about 1" from the bottom.

Using GH flora Bloom and Micro, you can grow some pretty nice plants. You can save money on all the crazy additives, as they are a relatively complete set of nutes.

I can't think of anything relevant right now, but keep reading, and whenever you decide to set up a grow journal, or if you have more questions, I'm happy to help.

Good luck!