Beginner strains

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by powerstonegrow, Dec 9, 2011.

1. So, the time has finally come to order some seeds. I've built my growbox and gathered all the supplies..minus seeds.

I'm looking for strains that have a relatively short veg/flower time (~6 weeks each), are beginner friendly, preferably don't smell crazy (I made a DIY carbon scrubber.. just haven't tested it haha), and aren't gigantic.

My box is basically a glorified PC grow, 30 inches high, 20 deep, and 36 long or so, and will have four plants in it that I plan to SCroG.

Any suggestions for a good starter indica hybrid and a good starter sativa hybrid? I'd also like to be ordering from Attitude.

I'll hopefully be starting up a journal once I get these seeds. Thanks!

2. I found that purple widow was easy to grow. From seed to harvest it took about two months.

3. does not match all his criteria

it is an outdoor plant, they can grow to very large heights and the flowering time is at least 8 weeks.

you probably have a bit more exp, than a first timer.

4. Thanks, I'll look into those. Do they tend to be more indica/sativa heavy? Or just balanced? Also read that they're very "skunky" smell wise, which shouldn't matter as well as my carbon filter works hahah. Appreciate it mucho!

5. #6 Mixted, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    I beleive that it is a pretty even mix of the two with a touch of rudaralis in it. IMO I have yet to find a strain that does not have any smell associated with it. Some are just stronger than others.

don't limit your self to that, sea of seeds has a huge varity and you can set your conditions in the seed finder. they have super fast shipping and super stealth.

set up a grow journal and PM a link and I will follow along. I don't know all the answers but I know more than enough to get by and am willing to help.

Good luck

6. some people swear by northern lights for first grows, rumour has it its next to impossible tomessup, shes very tolerant to your boo boos.

unsure if it will work in your dimensions tho, but thats what training is for

7. I am pretty new myself, but I have to agree that Northern Lights may be something to look into. They stay short, easy to train, I don't notice too much smell, and they yield wonderfully even with a minimum setup.

8. agreed with them both, I have a NL and it is a wonderful strain. but again don't limit your self. I would say order two strains a beginner strain (NL) and a moderate strain. If you stick with beginner strains only when you hit harder more tempremental strains shit could go bad really fast and be really discourging. run one of both and at least you will have a harvest and some insite to what you are working towards in the future.

good luck to you all, also stop by the grow and give you thoughts. Sorry about the spelling been tapping te rockies a bit too much today.

9. Auto flowering feminized seeds are easily the best for beginners, minimal problems and super short seed to harvest time! i got some lowrider X Ak-47 and it literally was as easy as planting a tomato

10. but what are the drawbacks to autos? personally I hate them but that is just me. and I have the setup to handle larger strains.

11. the benefits of autos is more plants in less space and faster harvests

the drawbacks is potentially lower potency (although there are lots of high potency autos out there, Afghan Kush Ryder for example) but higher CBD which might be better for chronic pain sufferers

12. benefit is you dont have to put them in to flower.Plus side is Ive grown about 5 strains all have been very potent you can harvest in about 70 days on a lot of strains.if you want to keep them small use small pots>syrup is a good auto it doesent have to bad of a smell and is pretty potent more couch lock but I like that for pain relief.

13. another good auto is the Auto NL... the one i have currently growing from Justfeminized.com is a branchy gal and just started to throw pistils (day 25)

has 3 main tops all at the same height and several lower ones which i presume with a little LST will become main tops

14. I'd try to find a Dwarf NL. I haven't grown any to recommend but NL is low odor, good yield, great smoke.

15. i think basically anything with the name Northern Lights is a good starting point

16. Wow. I didn't think I was going to get any replies except people telling me to search the forums... thanks guys you're awesome!

I think I'm definitely going to do a Northern Lights (or, well two).. and then two of some kind of sativa heavy hybrid.

KazKin, you recommended nirvana.. do you have good germ rates from them? I keep seeing threads with people complaining about terrible germ rates from nirvana..

Either way, I should be ordering the seeds early this week, my soil and nutes will be here late next week.. I'm excited to get this going haha. Once everything is closer I'll start to organize my grow journal and get some pictures up.

17. G-13 Labs Skunk #1 (Feminized), TRUST ME u wont b dissapppointed

18. Plus my avatar pic is of G-13 Skunk 1 on my first ever grow

19. nirvana's problems were back in '08, they have them sorted now

this is a nirvana auto NL at a week old outside in a 4 gal pot, i'm letting nature do the work for now :) (this picture was taken yesterday, sorry about the size)

[​IMG]

and this is how much it grew in 24 hours :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files: