Beginner Strains

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GroBoston, Nov 18, 2010.

1. #1 GroBoston, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
    Well Ive wondered myself and thought it would be helpful to post a thread that contains a short list of strains beginning growers can give a go.

*Note: All the information posted here I found scouring the net, some of the info may vary a bit, maybe even lack a little...but its supposed to be a basic guideline so beginners can do further research.

That being said, lets start with:

Bubblegum

Bubblegum was our first contribution to the seed world in 1993. Over the last decade it has proven, through numerous awards and world wide fame, that this plant is here to stay. We successfully inbred and stabilised this plant for it's most desirable characteristics, it's fruity smell, thick lingering flavor and short soldier like stature. Bubblegum breeds true, and has been used by many seed companies to produce award winning hybrids, and will make a great cornerstone for your breeding program. This is a true superplant!
    ----------------
    Type :Mostly Indica
    Climate :Indoor/Outdoor
    Yield :Average
    Height :Short-Medium
    Flowering :8-10 Weeks
    Harvest :October
    Effect :Cerebral
    THC :15%
    Difficulty :Easy

Sweet Tooth

This is the ultimate Sativa/Indica hybrid. It's a high yielding, sweet and powerful plant that gives a perfect blend of both a high and stoned effect. The farm's nursey has taken great care to produce the very best stable seeds from this multi-award winning beauty
    ----------------
    Yield :High
    Height :Medium
    Harvest :September-October
    Effect :Uplifting
    THC :15-20%
    Difficulty :Easy-Moderate

The Endless Sky

Endless Sky tends toward a single, tight and chunky central cola, although she may form a few short side branches. Buds range from soda-can size up to the size of two-liter soda bottle when ripe. The ripe buds are heavy for their girth and crusty with trichomes. Endless Sky's sun leaves are large and display characteristics midway between indicas and sativas, with a tendecy toward the wider indica leaf pattern. Leaves often turn to pink or yellow-pink at maturity.
    The poetic name is a pleasure to say but may also be a reflection on the buzz, which is very open and spacey. This varity produces a potent, indica-type stone that has been reported toprovide pain relief.One hit warms your whole head almost instantly. This is not a good toke when preparing to dive or operate heavy machinery. Endless Sky's dense smoke tastes earthy, like hash, and produces a dreamy, hashy experience that lasts up to four hours.
    ------------------
    Climate :Indoor
    Yield :400-500g/m2
    Height :24-30"
    Harvest :Mid October
    Effect :Spacey

Spoetnik

Spoetnik #1 is a versatile plant with excellent resistance to a wide variety of horticultural problems. She has compact rock hard buds, and offers an unusually cerebral stone for a pure Indica – an uplifting, meditative awareness.
    This variety is a superb spectacle. Her slow start may cause growers concerns. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she bursts forth around day 38 or 40 of the flowering cycle. Spoetnik #1 seems like she is reviving her engines, storing up everything she is fed for the countdown in the last 2 weeks of flowering, when she explodes with amazing power.
    By harvest, the plants look oily, thanks to their heavy coating of glands. Her colas form into rockets: long and cylindrical.
    She tastes like dark Corinthian grapes mixed with a mineral, astringent touch on the exhale.
    The effects of this pure Indica strain are surprisingly uplifting, with no physical crash at the end. The high is felt mostly on the top of the head and in the face.
    ---------------------
    Type :Indica
    Yield :450-500g/m2
    Flowering :7-8 Weeks
    Effect :Uplifting
    THC :15-18%

Red Dragon

The parentage of this line is exotic – a West Himalayan Kush crossed with a true breeding Brazilian sativa. (Utopia Haze)
    These buds have a distinct and immediate, exotic sativa high, but is followed minutes later by a wonderful undertow of a solid Kush stone that lasts and lasts. Finished buds have a taste and smell of sweet guava fruit.
    Red Dragon grows medium short (80cm) and produces heavy colas of unique red/green buds. Flowering time is short (max 9 weeks) giving big yield of highly prized product, that fnishes by mid to end September.
    --------------------
    Type :Indica/Sativa
    Climate : Indoor/Outdoor
    Yield : 500g/m2
    Height : 55-65 cm
    Flowering : 10 Weeks
    Harvest : Mid-September
    Effect : Exotic
    THC : 23%
    Difficulty : Moderate

Silver Haze

By crossing the Haze, the most powerful Sativa in the World, to a non-dominant Indica cannabis seeds it became possible to get the height and flowering time of the plant down to an acceptable level and still retain the unique Sativa qualities of the high. The results: the Silver Haze, winner of the 2007 Best Strain Cannabis Cup and 1989 High Times Harvest Festival. Don't expect top yields but top quality that will excite You to the bones! The taste is much like the crystal flavour; a bit of eucalyptus-fruit. This gear gets you VERY stoned. I made the mistake of smoking this on a Wednesday morning and I was certainly baked! I laid back on the floor as the sun filled my living room. This lasts for a while so don't smoke this gear when you got things to do!
    -----------------------
    Type : Mostly Sativa
    Climate : Indoor
    Yield : 400 gr/m²
    Height : 50-80 cm
    Flowering : 9 weeks
    Harvest : Mid September
    Effect : Sativa High
    THC : 15-20%

White Widow

This strain is the strongest weed in the world. The buds have so much THC on them that it is hard to see the bud at all. The high is extreme and the taste divine. This weed has won more cups than any before. On the top of all dutch coffeeshop menu's (mostly the most expensive!) A must for anyone who thinks they are a smoker !!

The most rewarded variety of recent years in Holland. The plants are white of THC-glands, even on big parts of the fan leaves. A very soft smoke and great "High". One of a kind, the winner of the Cannabis Cup 1995. This plant is the strongest among the weed species. A short plant with rather few leaves. Very quick hitting and a good combo of body high with a bit of uplifting. Awesome, unforgettable!
    --------------------------
    Type: Indica-Sativa mix
    Climate: Indoor
    Yield: 450 gr/m²
    Height: 35-60 cm
    Flowering : 8 weeks
    Harvest: September
    Effect : Extreme High
    THC : 20-25%
    Difficulty: Moderate

AK-47

This easy-to-grow plant is Serious Seeds' most popular. It is of medium height and produces good yields quite quickly. Extremely strong odour and smoke, so take extra care over odour control when growing near neighbours.
    The name is not linked to any idea of violence, but is more in association with the one hit wonder; that the smoke is. Quality without compromise makes AK suitable for commercial grows or home use. These plants have a short flowering period for a Sativa, producing compact, not too leafy buds that gleam with a coat of resin crystals.
    The plant has thus far won seven prizes in various Cannabis competitions, including second prize for the Best Sativa in the 1999 High Times Cannabis Cup, which is proof that AK is a favourite to smoke as well as to grow.
    Very strong, long lasting and pleasant high. An independent lab test showed 21.5% THC in the samples at the Cannabis Cup 1999, the highest of all entries that year!
    ------------------
    Type : Mostly Sativa
    Yield : High
    Height : Medium
    Flowering : 8-10 weeks
    Harvest : October
    Effect : High
    THC : 20-25%
    Difficulty : Normal

AK-48

AK-48 has been known to finish in 48 days (hence the name) if everything goes well and the plant is well-maintained AK-48 itself is short, squat, bushy plant and an indica/sativa hybrid. You can really notice AK-48's sativa qualities in the high.
    A great plant to start with for beginners.
    AK-48 can bounce back from a missed feeding or an over-watering. Though it is not recommended. It's also a great strain for more advanced growers due to its potency and high yield. Not known for good tasting buds, AK-48 produces sticky, dense nugs that hold a powerful high. And, sometimes even a contact high.
    ---------------------
    Climate :Indoor
    Yield :400-500g/m2
    Flowering :7-8 Weeks
    Effect :Body Buzz

Sharksbreath

With amazing flavor and smell and an outstanding buzz, the guys at DNA Genetics have done an excellent job in creating this very special plant. The Sharksbreath is a highly potent strain. Short stout plants pack on frosty and very dense buds. A heavy feeder, good air flow is also required to prevent bud rot. A great low odor variety for the grower wanting a special headstash.
    --------------------
    Type : Mostly Indica
    Yield :500-600g/m2
    Height :Short
    Harvest : (September-October)
    Effect : Euphoric

White Rhino

White Rhino is a powerful F1 hybrid of White Widow and a curiously strong North American indica strain. White Rhino could have medicinal applications because of its high T.H.C. content. The taste of this smoke is hashy and slightly harsh, a good bong smoke. The American father of the Rhino is more indica than the White Widow father, creating a denser and somewhat shorter plant. The buzz is stoney and comes on hard.
    -------------------------
    Yield : High
    Height : Short
    Flowering : 8-10 weeks
    Harvest : October
    Effect : Stoned

Papaya

Papaya is a fast growing, disease resistant, and usually early maturing strain. Papaya is a heavy, greasy indica staying low and dense, very suitable for sea of green gardens. Papaya has an exotic tropical aroma that reminds one of the scent of whiskey pipe tobacco. The buzz from our papaya is lethargic, almost narcotic. This seed yields a maximum of Yield (Sea of Green on one m2) 500.
    --------------------------------------
    Yield : 500g/m2
    Height : Short
    Flowering Period : 8 Weeks
    Harvest : August-September
    THC : High

Northern Lights

The northern light is a very common plant around the world, winner of the Indica strain '88, '89 and 1990. The great characteristic of the plant is it's big center cola. Combine this with an excellent blended with good power and you have an excellent plant. This hearty one is worth grabbing a few cannabis seeds. Leaves a wonderful fresh taste in your mouth. Quick pick up, to a lethargic feeling, and a fairly gentle come down. Lasted a bit shorter than some of the other big boys, but that's also good sometimes.
    -------------------------
    Type: Indica
    Climate: Indoor
    Yield: 400 gr/m²
    Height: 60-80 cm
    Flowering : 9-11 weeks
    Harvest: End of September
    Effect : Sativa High, Cerebral Buzz
    Difficulty: Moderate

Skunk Strains

Skunk Marijuana Strains are sativa ini nature and developed for indoor cultivation. This gives a strain which has exceptional yield and massive buds. The skunk characteristics are untouched but the sativa gives much better strength of high. The high gives a nice strong punch. It will take a lot of growing abuse and still come out smelling like a skunk.
    --------------------------------
    Type : Indica - Sativa mix
    Climate : indoor
    Yield : 500 gr/m2
    Height : 50 - 80 cm
    Flowering : 8 - 9 weeks
    Harvest : Mid September
    THC : 12.5% - 15%
    Difficulty : Easy - Moderate

Afghan

Feminized Afghan aka Afghanistan Marijuana is characterized by round large leaves and gigantic flowering buds. Afghan feminized has a rich smooth hash like smoke. The marijuana plant tends to be very bushy but will yield large amounts of very sticky buds. Mountainous conditions, over thousands of years have produced bushy, sturdy and disease resistant marijuana plant. Price hovers around 100USD per 10 seeds.
    Note: All cannabis types can produce male flowers on 100% female plants. This happens under strong stress factors caused by different misguided growing techniques.
    --------------------------
    Type : Indica
    Climate : Indoor / Outdoor / Greenhouse
    Yield : up to 400 grams per square meter
    Height : 50 to 100 cm
    Flowering : 8 to 10 weeks
    Harvest : Early October
    Effect : Indica body-buzz
    THC : Moderate to High
    Difficulty : Easy

Snow White

Snow White Marijuana Strains has origins from Holland and travel to BC. Snow White has big round fat leaves and the equally beautiful big fat buds. It usually has a rich smooth hash like heavy smoke taste. Well known for excellent growth because it originated in mountainous conditions and over thousands of years a very stocky, sturdy and disease resistant plant was produced. Great for the outdoors and even better indoor or greenhouse.
    -----------------
    Type: Indica
    Climate : Indoor / Greenhouse
    Yield : 400g/m2
    Height : 150-200 cm
    Flowering : 8/10 wk's
    Harvest: September
    Effect :Relaxing
    Difficulty : Easy-Moderate

Shiva

Shiva Marijuana gets it's name from Shiva, the Hindu god of transformation. This strain is mainly indica, which means it will stay small and be very bushy. Pest resistant. It grows better in warmer climates but has been know to work outdoor in Europe as well. The buds are large and covered in THC glands. This strain has a distinctive smell and taste, must be tried. Exotic flavor and heavy stone. Very easy to grow.
    -------------------------------
    Type : Indica - Sativa mix
    Yield : 500 gr/m2
    Height : 50 - 80 cm
    Harvest : September-October
    Effect : Heavy
    THC : 15 - 20%
    Difficulty : Easy

Hindu Kush

The original plant from the hindu kush marijuana strains area, the region that is on the border of India and Pakistan. Kush is a large bushy plant with huge resinous buds. A real outdoor kush plant, can be grown indoor as well but kinda big, sticky buds galore! Kush weed tends to taste very hash like when smoked.
    ---------------------------
    Type : Sativa
    Climate : Indoor / Outdoor
    Yield : 200g/m2
    Height : 150-180 cm
    Flowering : 10/12 weeks
    Harvest : September-October
    Effect : Heavy Buzz
    THC : 15 - 20%

Hope this helps a few newcomers figure out a basic guideline to picking a strain. Like I said further research will still be needed, but at least you can narrow it down a little bit. Good luck blades.

2. Also a good beginner strain is the papaya plant.:bongin:

3. Papaya added.

4. any advice about white rhino?

5. Rhino added...

6. Sharksbreath is super easy. Heavy feeder makes it hard to overfert unless you go crazy with it

7. Sharksbreath added...

8. Ak47 and white widow were very forgiving

9. AK-47 and White Widow added...

10. If anyone has ideas I can throw them in. Thanks GC!

11. I was going to try Afghan, but I noticed the price of seeds. I had no idea it cost that much to get seeds, and I don't want to waste $100 to mess up a grow. Because I am sure I won't get it right the first time, especially since it would be growing outside. Can I just take the seeds I find in some of my weed and grow those? Or are they not the same?

12. Most certainly, and sometimes it's the best way to learn. The only drawback is you don't know what you're getting so it might overgrow your space or hermie out or not. When you buy or are gifted good genetics you know what to expect with your plants. Bag seed is definitely a good cheap start because nothing will prepare you like the real thing

13. #14 GroBoston, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    Agreed... I started with bagseed to make sure I had the minor mistakes worked out and like you I didn't want to make stupid mistakes on $100 seeds.. But IMO I'd agree with rooster ultimately... Bagseed= cheap practice $100 seeds= goodstrong high yielding genetics. These are just good beginner genetics when you feel ready for the "Pros" so to speak. Good luck bud

Also there is a "pick n mix" seedbank where you can buy single seeds. By money order as well.

14. Could you use the same template for all of them. IE

Type:
    Climate:
    Yield:
    Height:
    Flowering period:
    etc...
    etc...

15. Spoetnik from Paradise seeds is super easy, pretty low odor, pure indica. It isn't my favorite smoke, but it is a heavy producer.

16. Certainly can. Once I get on my laptop I will, I'm on my ITouch right meow.

17. Updated....

18. Great thread OP, I just wanted to add Silver Haze and Red Dragon in the mix.

Also I don't know how helpful it might be, but you could also have as one of the characteristics is the original seed company that created the strain.

19. Red Dragon and Silver Haze added... will def look into editting in the original seedbanks. Thanks bud.