Beginner question lighting,feeding,ventilation?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cupaaron, Oct 23, 2008.

1. This winter im moving somewhere far away and I decided that i'll start growing but here's my setup for growing is it ok? you tell me.

5 gallon tub/bucket.
    a honeywell fan.
    2 100 watt lights w/ 2 60 watt white leds and two 60 watt red leds.
    potting soil w/miracle grow in the soil already.

is it ok to use a soil that has ferts already in it?
    Newbie question but an answer would really help.
    Thanks guys,tokers,fellow growers.:wave:

2. If you are growing from seed, I wouldn't recommend using MG. Those ferts can be hard on seedlings and you may run into problems early on with nute burn. I am not saying it can't be done. Just expect to have a few issues with it.

About your setup. What type of 100W lights are you going to use? How many plants are you going to grow?

Good luck.

3. Im only growing one plant,
    ok thanks but instead of using 2/ 100 watt reflectors with 60 watt reg. bulbs. I'm going to use 2/ 100 watt reflectors and two red colored 60 watt reg. bulbs. Do they have to be a certain kind of bulb? I know about hps and metal halide but would regular 60 watt red or blue bulbs work?

4. Sorry, but that made me laugh.

Regular bulbs won't grow marijuana (or any other plant). Even if they are red or blue. ;)

You need to get some CFLs or use those LEDs you mentioned. They are made for growing, right? Or are they just regular bulbs too?

I think you really need to educate yourself. You don't have a firm enough grasp of the basics of growing in my opinion. You need to read all you can on this and other forums and do lots of research. I highly recommend the stickies on this forum especially grandpas grow guide. It is really helpful for the new grower.

Good luck.

5. Thanks again! I decided on one 40 watt cfl. So lets just see what happens. Thanks again man.

6. Ok, we are going to need some laid out info here, answer some of these basic questions and we can most likely help you along smoothly.

Where or what are you growing this in. Do you have a cabinet?

How tall are you planning on growing these plants about? Do you have a strain in mind or just bag seed.

If you are growing more than just like a 14-18 inch bud sickle like 12/12 from seed.. then your most likely going to need more than one 42watt CFL.

I'm thinking if you are growing and dont have a lot of space you might want to SoG (Sea of Green) a few plants 12/12 from seed, the plants stay smaller and skinny this way, you can fit more per square foot this way from my experience.

7. Read:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

Also, consider/keep in mind that if you are only growing one plant and you end up with a male it was all for not. I am going to cut and paste in a paragraph I just wrote for another post:

Plant 4-6 seeds. While they are young it's easy to find space for them and provide light for them as their needs are not as great. Once they have a few nodes take a clipping from each one and clone them. Throw those clones into flowering (12/12 lighting schedule) and in a week or so you can determine which are female and which are not. Get rid of the males. If you have more females then you can handle, keep only the healthiest.

8. ^^^ That is a good idea. But, don't forget that it can take a few weeks for the clones to root. They must be rooted before you flower them. So, in total you may be looking at 2-4 weeks before you can determine sex.

9. when i get my new house/place im gonna grow in the closet and its bag seed but 12/12 schedule maybe more light on that but im gonna do it as soon as i move but bag seed should be good enough for starters right?