beginner question about lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Hamson, May 28, 2012.

1. Hey I started germinating my seeds 4 day ago and planted them 3 days ago.Some have popped out some are still waiting. I am very confused about lighting. I dont have any cfl and had been told by someone that it would be ok to use my 400w hps lamp if it was about 30inches away. So I have had half of my plants under the 400w and have been putting the other half in the sun as much as possible. I changed my mind a few times which resulted in me moving them back and forth a few times so the plants have gotten both sunlight and been under the 400w so I am worried this might have stressed them. Should I put them all under the 400w? out in the sun?or should I buy some cfl?

2. The change in lighting won't stress them.

The biggest concern for seedlings under a 400w is the cost of electricity. Unless you have at least a couple dozen plants going, you can save some money by using fluorescents. Also, standard HPS bulbs aren't great for vegging. Enhanced spectrum bulbs, like the one in my sig, perform very much better during veg and noticeably better during flowering as well. If you plan on running more grows after this one, it might be a good idea to invest in some new lights with a better spectrum for vegging. The ideal setup for your plants & your wallet would depend on how many you intend to grow, how long you expect to keep growing and how big your plants will be.

That all said, it certainly won't hurt the little ones to use the 400w at the proper distance as long as temps are controlled.

Two feet is generally the distance used between 400's and either sprouts or clones.

3. Ok thanks a lot

4. #5 Vicarious87, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
    Sun = Free (best with seed dome)

CFL = Cost effective, Low heat/Pwr Consumption, Great results with seedlings and clones. Effecient up to 150-200watts (then I would go mh/hps) You can build a 600w+ setup from Lowes/depot/hardware store, out of sockets ($2.50 ea), 1/4 inch pvc (20ft 1.50$), and wiring from old power cords. Could Easily be less than $20 per 600w (different bulbs can alternate from 13w X6= 78watts for seedlings and up dependign on buld wattage 13w, 23/26w, 42w x6 = 252watts)

I would go to the 400w after about 4 weeks from the crack of the seed. It would be too hot and a waste of energy to use on the seed-teen preteen stage.

Hope this bit of info helped. Happy growing!

5. Hamson: I wish there was an easier way, but from what you ask, I think you might be new to this so I’d suggest you RTFB and refer to the following:
    1. Read: SeeMoreBud’s book, “MARIJUANA BUDS FOR LESS- GROW 8 OZ. OF BUDS FOR LESS THAN $100.”
    2. Read: Jorge Cervantes’s book, “MARIJUANA HORTICULTURE THE INDOOR/OUTDOOR MEDICAL GROWER’S BIBLE.”
    3. Read: Ed Rosenthal’s, “MARIJUANA GROWER’S HANDBOOK.”
    4. You’ll also want to read: Mc Carthy’s book, “GROWING MARIJUANA.”
    5. You should also subscribe to, “HIGH TIMES,” magazine. Each issue is chocked full of useful information. .” All these resources are very well written, well illustrated and packed with information that will answer most of your questions before you know to ask them. And I want to add a new book to the list, a 6th one: “THE CANNABIS GROW BIBLE- SECOND EDITION,” written by Greg Green. It’s a match to, if not better than, the ones listed above. Doing your homework and consulting these resources will save you and your plants a lot of anxiety before you plant. These forums are great but often they can’t get the information you need to you in a timely fashion. I hope this helps. Hank

6. Ok thanks, I will have my hands full reading to be up to date for my second grow. But on the topic of trying to make the best out of my current 5 day old seedling I would be interested in knowing how far away I should keep a 75w(4500K)neutral white light, and if it is enough light for my 10 seedlings.