Beginner Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by IMOKEBUD, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Hi this is my first grow my seeds have popped and im unsure what light or distance to put it. I have a 300 watt led light and a 600 watt Hps to choose from can anyone advise me best way.
    Thanks .

2. While both can be used (obviously much more distance with the HPS...someone else can specify), I'd recommend using the LED only at least initially.
    In the end I'd say you could probably use both, er, depending on your space and airflow...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maybe grow some under the LED and the rest under the HPS.

For the 600, the grow light to rule them all in my opinion, covers just under a 4x4 space and tops of plants should be kept 16" away.

For the LED, there are more variables other than listed wattage that determines how close you can get. You may be able to get your plants closer, but I would start with about 3' (all lights can potentially burn your plants but LEDs are notorious if you get too close).

Since you are new I will advise that you do some training for some of you plants. Try more than one method, for example LST, HST, FIMing and Topping. My advice is to experiment with a different method for each plant if you have enough plants. When you get good at it you will be able to get more light to your plants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for the heads up mate.Much appreciated

7. Thankyou ill take all that onboard thanks for taking time to treply.

8. I'm still pretty new. With that being said I really like my 600 watt hps. Part of it also has to do with me starting off with a 150 hps. My plant is looking really good to me. I'm proud so far. It's 22 days into 12/12 and I have it 15-16 inches above my canopy

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Thanks for advice friend

11. Itd be best to try both routes and see what works best for your set up man, but hps runs hot as fuck and leds not so much, unless you're prepared to deal with the heat of hps mid summer go led for the summer at least, plus some leds can pull more than hps could on their best day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I would start with the lower watt first, because you can always go up with power but not back down with the watts if you hurt your plant... worst cause scenario with lower watt light is stretch, vs possibly burning it with the stronger light. and the overall goal with lighting, I believe, is as close to the plants as your light and grow space air circulation will allow without harming the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. My plants have started out under a 2000watt led before and been fine. I just raised the light really high, and worked my way down day by day.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for advice my 600 also dims to 400 so ill start with that.

16. Thaks for takin the time to reply i need all the advice i can get.

19. Hi is this led light good for seedlings and if so how far away do i use it. Thanks

Attached Files:

20. I like a simple clamp on lamp with one or two 23 w cfl spiral bulbs (in a splitter) for seedlings. 2700k bulbs. Costs like 15 bucks to set up. You can lower it right down over the seedlings (like 4-6”) and it keeps them from getting too stretchy. I’m sure someone brighter than me could tell you why, but cfls have always produced lots of side branching and short internodes for me. I finish vegging and flowed under LEDs. Good luck. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1