Beginner Looking for Something *really* simple.

Discussion in 'Security' started by PohTayToez, May 10, 2011.

1. I've been thinking about growing a plant or two and I was hoping for some suggestions. I have a nice place by a window that gets indirect sunlight all day long but is still out of site, and I was wondering if that would be suitable and for what strains. Basically, I'm looking for something that is low maintenance, doesn't require too much light, and isn't too stinky. Doesn't have to be super potent, although I would like a nice output per plant since I'll likely only be doing one.

Any suggestions on what seeds I should get and where I should get them from?

2. hi pohtaytoez! no strains can grow beside a window.

you will need to buy a lamp,

because weeds like full sun.

3. Whoops, this was supposed to go in the "Absolute Beginners" forum, not this subforum.

Anyway, from what little I've read weed can grow in indirect sunlight, they just won't meet their full potential. Is this not worth trying?

Also, I do have a rather large closet. What would be the simplest light setup? Something like a single light setup, no box or anything like that.

4. hps is a good light.

5. If you're going to grow in a window, you must have direct sunlight. Just go to your local general store and buy a few CFLs and grow one plant. You won't need ventilation since you're talking about growing in an open space like a window sill. Just have a small fan blow a light breeze on her and your good to grow. It cannot get anymore simple.

6500 Kelvin bulbs for vegetating and 2700 Kelvin bulbs for flowering. Atleast one hundred watts per single plant. Those are the basic rules of thumb for growing with CFLs. Keep the CFLs always within atleast a few inches from the plant.

6. I agree, if you aren't scared of getting busted due to cannabis in your window area, I would just add some high output cfls or a t-5 fixture just above them. You won't get enough light from the window. From what I understand, too little light during veg will stunt your growth.....too little light during budding will create small fluffy nugs with low levels of resin.....yuck!!!
    Since we are talking about a one plant grow, you will want feminized seeds or a clone. Windows aren't going to give you as much control of your lighting, so I would pick an autoflower option......Why not lowrider autoflowering?
    Anyone else have a different opinion on this? I grow in a closet and have never used autoflowers.

7. Don't grow just one plant. Even if you manage to grow it all the way to maturity, what if it turns out to be a male? I'm assuming you've got bagseed of course as your setup doesn't sound very complex. I germinated 13 bagseeds. 2 didn't sprout. 2 died shortly after sprout. Now they're 2 weeks old and 3 of them arent looking so good while 6 are looking healthy. Even if 6 of them reach maturity, only about half will be females..

I'm no expert but I'd say plan on growing 4 plants from seed for every female you want to harvest.

8. Don't grow just one plant. Even if you manage to grow it all the way to maturity, what if it turns out to be a male? I'm assuming you've got bagseed of course as your setup doesn't sound very complex. I germinated 13 bagseeds. 2 didn't sprout. 2 died shortly after sprout. Now they're 2 weeks old and 3 of them arent looking so good while 6 are looking healthy. Even if 6 of them reach maturity, only about half will be females..

I'm no expert but I'd say plan on growing 4 plants from seed for every female you want to harvest. Also I'm on my first grow too so 4 seeds to expect 1 full grown female may be a bit much for the well trained grower.

9. Bagseed you are probably right, I still say buy genetics and grow what you have room for. Many strains are pretty stable feminized. Reputable companies use GA-3 to create fem seeds, and a male plant is genetically impossible. This process uses two mothers GA-3 hormonally creates pollen sacs on a female plant, thus no y chromosome. Not really that complex.
    And I just bought 25 seeds.....out of the 11 I have tried, 11 germinated.

10. Thanks for all of the info so far. If I decide to order some seeds any recommendations? If I had 1-4 full grown plants in a closet, would it make my whole apartment reek of weed? The smell is my biggest concern at this point.

11. Weed smells. Ventillation, gels, and carbon filters are usually needed. DIY versions are available. I got a brand new $200 4" Vortex fan for $15 at a Habitat for Humanity charity store - complete with timer. It was a good enough deal to excite me, but deals are out there. You will have to plan out and design your space. There is awesome reading here and other forums. And this grow can be done very expensively or pretty cheap...just gotta do some research and be okay getting your hands dirty.
    Lots of great genetics out there....seed banks give you all sorts of info about them.
    Couldn't get easier than these guys, but don't grow something you aren't EXCITED to smoke. :smoke:

Lowryder #1 Feminized

Pick & Mix Seeds . DNA Genetics 60 Day Wonder Feminized

I've also used Weed Seeds - Buy Marijuana Seeds Online from Weed Seeds they were VERY stealth about their shipping and the item they shipped the seeds in also did a good job at protecting them. I was impressed.