Beginner Grower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bodababe, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hey, I'm pretty new here so forgive me XD

But I've been researching and researching because I'm preparing to grow for the first time, and I have a couple of questions that I can't find answers for.

Firstly, I'm a little bit confused in the germination area. I've decided I'll start them off in peat cups in my room, but that's a little risky (considering I live with others) if I want to allow the plant to get used to sunlight. I was wondering if there was a way that I could germinate the seeds in a wet paper towel contraption or something, and then immediately plant them in the ground outside? I'm still not sure how best I should go about this, but I'll have to stick with the peat cups if there's no alternative.

Also, I was wondering if it's necessary to buy all those nutrients and fertilizers and everything else. Can I just grow some nice, wild pot instead? I mean, yeah, I plan to have protection from deer and bugs and stuff, but do I really need to feed my plant all sorts of boosters? If I should, what would you recommend using?

Anyways, any general tips for a beginner are welcome! :p

2. #2 Doc-J, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    You dont have to use peat cups. Yes, you can germ with paper towels in either a ziplock, or small rubbermaid container. Just keep it in a warm dark area. As long as your room isnt too cold you can wrap them in a hoody or towel and put them in the closet. Most will pop within 24 to 48 hours. You just want the paper towels barely damp, not soaked.

No, you dont need 10 diffferent nutes and additives, but basic nutes for veg and flower will benefit your yield greatly compared to not feeding at all.

Easy, cheap, outdoor nutes I like jacks classic duo from jr peters. They work great, and cost $20 for enough to last quite a while with just a couple of plants.

3. So you're saying I can germinate with the paper towels and then be able to plant them outside right away? as long as I take care of them..

And thanks! :D

4. [quote name='"Bodababe"']So you're saying I can germinate with the paper towels and then be able to plant them outside right away? as long as I take care of them..

And thanks! :D[/quote]

Yes you can. However, they are quite easy to get messed up until they get a week or so old. Also, if it was me I would get some good soil a dig a small hole for them to get started in, rather than just going straight in the ground. It really depends on the quality of your outdoor soil. Mine is very compact with a higher percentage of clay than I would like, so I try to give the root system a head start before it begins pushing through the more dense soil. It also aids in drainage in case it rains heavily before the root system is well developed.

5. Mysef would pot them in a cup after the paper towel and let them grow a root ball.
    Then transplant outside when it has many sets of leaves rather then just a sprout.

6. #6 hope2toke, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    if you choose the right spot, you would not want to add any thing. There is some evidence that rock dust (ie the earth) are the best fertilizer for plant vigor and resistance to pest and disease. After all this plant has evolved over 4000 years without the use of bottled chemical. Same goes for paper towels LOL. Imagine monks cultivating with polythrene baggies. seriously though, just dechlolinate tap water, and bury the seeds 3/4'' in the earth you find (preferably rich in organic materials OR early succession). water it and come back in a few weeks.